Thread: Isis..Our beauty who is a sneaky urinator

Angry Isis..Our beauty who is a sneaky urinator

I have inherited my daughters sweet Greyhound/Great Dane Mix 1 year old female. I love her. She has the greatest personality but.....she potties when no one is looking, even if she has just been outside. I cannot keep her if this continues. HELP!!
    Barb

When she has been outside, has she *gone* and then comes in and goes again, or did she not go when she was outside? If she needs to go frequently, she may have a urinary tract infection. If she is not using the facilities when outside, that is another issue and you may need to retrain her by going outside with her and praising her when she does her business there. Please do not give up on her. I had a puppy who *refused to be housebroken*. Lots of effort and patience and consistency eventually won her over.
    *Until one has loved an animal, a part of ones soul remains unawakened.* Anatole France

Isis my little house pony

Thank you so much for your reply...I have considered the urinary track infection. Isis was known to do this at my daughters house as well. She has been known to piddle on my daughters bed and has gone once on mine.

I will have to say that yesterday she did not piddle in the house at all. I also have a black lab who has been known to piddle in rebellion of other animals being here. I just found a puddle and I think it is from him...
    Barb

she sounds so cute! thats a very unqiue mix of breeds

Is she spayed? that is one of the top causes of marking behaviors. If it's not a health problem and she is spayed, it is probably dominance related or insecurity. Crate train her, starting out by feeding her inside of her crate and slowly increase time inside. When you can't watch her inside, keep her in her crate. When you remove her from her crate, immediately take her outside to potty and reward her when she does. I would just frequently take her out, don't give her the oppertunity to mark the carpet, and be sure she isn't challenging you or your other dog with this behavior. She should go through Obedience classes with you, it's a very very good way to bond with a new pup and establish who's the alpha. I hope some of this works for you

<3 Erica, Fozz n' Gonz

Thank you for your input. She is definitely the cutest thing. She is all black and has all the characteristics of a greyhound but ids taller like the Dane and her face resembles the dane. She sleeps with me and allows me to snuggle her. I just love her . I am purchasing a new crate tomorrow and I want to sign us up for obedience classes.
    Barb

thats awesome Barb!! It sounds like Isis has a really good life with you, I really hope she's a good girl after all of the training, I do think more reinforced potty training would cure this

<3 Erica, Fozz n' Gonz

Thanks for your positive input. Isis spent the first night in her new, very large Crate. She almost looks small in it. This morning I entered the bedroom where I thought she had been useing as a potty room. There I found that apparently my 7 year old male black lab had pottied. Does this nonsense ever end. Ha Ha.
    Barb

oh no!! Time for another crate LOL! Make sure the crate isn't too big, so Isis doesn't potty on one end and sleep in the other end. The dog should be able to turn around and lay out in the crate, and stand without bumping their head. It sounds like there is some rivalry going on, be sure to establish an alpha between the two (probably the Lab boy) but give them both plenty of individual time and attention.

<3 Erica, Fozz n' Gonz

Definitely. I just took my fat Lab Boy Tommy Pickles for a walk. He has been the King dog here for almost 7 years. Tell me somthing about you and your pet?
    Barb

LOL! Tommy Pickles is the cutest name ^_^ I love Rugrats

I'm 16 and my boy is a rescued Border Collie named Gonzo. He will be 4 in July, we got him when he was about 8 months old. He's awesome, and we've been SO lucky with his potty training! He hasn't had an accident since the first week we had him (and up until then, with his first owners, he wasn't inside at all!). He's been through Flyball and Agility training, he loves to work, but he still has a lot of chasing/herding/distractions that we're still working on. I have a thread in General with some pics of him, its called 'Spring has Sprung'

<3 Erica, Fozz n' Gonz