Thread: Does anyone know...

Does anyone know...

when it's time to put a litterbox out for kittens??? I'm new at this kitten thing. The other day Duncan was walking around the room yowling, while poo was coming out of his butt. I wiped it off and made a "makeshift" litterbox out of a box lid (until I could buy a real one) and put clay litter in it. I put Duncan in it and he just started to eat the litter. I took the box up and it hasn't happened again. I know Mattie Grace has been cleaning them (EWWW!!!) but didn't know when they would start using a litterbox.

Also, while I'm asking for advice...when should I start putting kitten food soaked in KMR for them?

Hey, I don't claim to know EVERYTHING, just MOST things!!

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

If You Don't Talk To Your Cat About Catnip, Who Will?
    How old are the kids now Donna? It's very normal for kittens to eat litter (annoying, but normal). Be sure it's a kitten safe litter. Sweet-Scoop is a wheat based clumping litter which is great for little ones, and is harmless if they eat it. regular clumping litter can be dangerous. It sounds as though they may be ready to try it out. And if you put food out for Mattie Grace (wet) if the kittens are ready, they'll nibble along with her. Generally 5-6 weeks they should be using the potty.
    ~*~ "None left to rescue, none left to buy, none left to suffer, none left to die. None to be beaten, none to be kicked...all must be loved and all must be fixed".
    Author Unknown ~*~

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

~BRRR~ I'VE BEEN FROSTED!!!~ BRRR~

Thanks Jan.

The kittens are 4 weeks old today. I've been giving Mattie Grace Science Diet Kitten Food kibble. She loves it and it's good for her. I've also been boiling chicken livers for her. She gobbles that up. I picked up the makeshift litterbox with the clay litter in it because I don't think they're quite ready for it. They turn 5 weeks old next Thursday (my payday). I'll pick up some Swheat Scoop up then along with a normal, small litterbox and see what happens. They haven't shown any interest in what Mattie is eating. They do, however, belly up to the bar when she's trying to eat.

They are a hoot right now! The minute I walk in the door they're all over me like a kitten jungle gym. But I love it! They're wrestling with each other and with Mattie. She gives this real low growl and they calm down. She's such a great mama and I've fallen in love with both her and Sassie.

This has been such a great experience for me. I'd do it all again if I had the chance.

How are YOUR babies doing??? Has Mama calmed down any??

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

That is a good idea,about the SWheat.Other than that I am not sure,as Pouncer,was the youngest Kitten,that I was Guardian ,for and she was about 3 Months old,Good Luck,with the Babies!
    Last edited by catmandu; 03-30-2005 at 06:20 PM.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Thanks Gary. I need your address, as I'm going to send you some fresh dried catnip from my friend Kathy's garden.

Hi Donna! My memory from fostering newbies is that they eat the litter WHILE they use it!!! I worried about it and would pick litter off of their tongues but it never harmed them.. Long as it's a box shared by just the family, I didn't worry! It's roughage and ok in the small amounts they fool around with. I always kept a litter box available cuz of the mother and noticed babies using the box at various ages depending on mother's decision on when to stop eating the stuff. Cats don't like the poop and pee just anywhere so if mom stops taking care of it, they have gone right to the litter box! Let us know how it goes!

Leslie,

Well, to my surprize, they ARE using the litterbox!!! I filled it with "World's Best Cat Litter" which is crushed corn cob. I've also started putting out a plate of Iams canned cat food mixed with KMR. Duncan is the only one who ate it with a vengance. The other ones sniffed it and walked away. I know it's early yet so I'm not too worried.

The woman at the local feed store asked my friend Kathy when the kittens would be ready for adoption. Things are looking up!!!