Thread: New rat?

New rat?

Recently i lost my beloved rat, Gismo, to a vicious fox attack. The fox also took my rabbits, Misty and Smudge. I decided not to get anymore rabbits just yet as i don't want them to be frightened by the fox but i am undecided as to wether i should get a new rattie. I really loved Gismo and nothing could replace him but i miss the company that he gave me. Do you think it is to early to buy another rat or should i wait a while?

Do you keep the rat outside or inside? If inside how did the fox get to him?

I think it is a personal choice and you will know when the time is right. However, it isn't fair to bring an animal into a situation where they could possibly get hurt or killed and if the fox got to your rat once then most likly it could get to the new one too.

If you keep your rat outside I would not recomend getting another one, rats, or any other kind of small animal are not outside pets they should be kept inside where it is safe for them.

Ashley
    Dogs: Nova, Konnor and Sitka

My rat was kept inside a heated brick shed with my rabbits. My rabbits were really big so they didn't have hutches, they had pens which they loved and my rattie loved watching them play and i think it gave him a bit of company while i was away. I am going to get some really thick meshing to replace the one the fox got through so this incident doesn't occur again.

I am sorry to hear this happened. That has to be very hard, I can't imagine what that has to feel like- I would be horrified!
    You could house the rats (and rabbits) inside... then you do not have to worry about predators getting to them. Foxes are extremely smart and most likely will find another way to get to the animals, even if you use heavy screening.

Rest in Peace Gizmo, Misty, and Smudge.
    LAURA {Human}, FRANNY {Boxer}, PEANUT, BUSTER, & NIBBLES {Rabbits}

Thanks Roxyluvsme13!

"The wind of heaven is that which blows between a horses' ears"- Arabian Proverb