Thread: How to keep dog from chasing cat???

Unhappy How to keep dog from chasing cat???

Hi everyone,
    I'm new to this website and I have to say how lovely it is! I came here searching for a little help on my two babies, Remington and Mystery. Remington is my 1 year old English Springer Spaniel who of course loves to play. Mystery is my 5 year old kitty who does NOT want to play with Rem. My husband and I have tried EVERYTHING under the book to keep Rem from chasing Mystery, but nothing seems to be working. I'm wondering if you have any suggestions? I have also heard about these Feliway (something like that) products for dogs and cats to help them relax a bit more. I'm not sure if this would work? Thanks so much for your help, and great site!
    ~Kate

Have you tried squirting Remington with water or throwing a puppy bomb (soda can filled with pennies) at him? I've been told the Feliway things work for territorial spraying in cats so I'm guessing since it is also meant to calm the critters that it may ease some of the tension, but I don't know that it will make Remington stop chasing Mystery. Does Remington get enough time outside to run and play and chase balls/toys? Does Mystery have claws so that he/she? can slap Remington on the nose to get the "point" across?
    Love is Adoptable. Adopt a Pit Bull.

Don't Breed or Buy While Shelter Animals Die.

If Pit Bulls are outlawed, only outlaws will have Pit Bulls.

Wish I could help you but I have a double problem..................if the dog isn't chasing the cat, the cat is chasing the dog! It's embarrassing!

All kidding aside, I don't know about "throwing " the puppy bomb, what if you accidentily hit one of them? I've always thought you just shake it at them. That has always worked for me.

Another thought is those air pumped water pistols. Gets a little stinging action happening with out hurting the animal, if the plain old water bottle doesn't work.

Good luck! Uh, can anybody tell me how to stop a cat from chasing a dog? It's not for me, it's for a "friend".

Thankfully a very loud 'NO!!' worked for me.

I agree, try a squirt bottle or something loud that the dog doesn't like, so it'll associate chasing the cat with something bad and will hopefully stop.
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

I wouldn't throw it hard so that if it does hit the dog, it won't hurt, but try just aiming in their direction or when they are coming at you, then you can shake it in Remington's face as the cat keeps going.
    Love is Adoptable. Adopt a Pit Bull.

Don't Breed or Buy While Shelter Animals Die.

If Pit Bulls are outlawed, only outlaws will have Pit Bulls.

How did you introduce the dog and cat? Maybe you should try re-introducing them? Here's a good link about introducing dogs/cats peacefully. Spraying water, saying NO and shaking a can with pennies or rocks might help to teach Remy that its NOT ok to chase the kitty. You should also exercise him as much as possible (a long walk/run, playing ball) to get that prey drive and excess energy out.

<3 Erica, Fozz n' Gonz

Thanks so much everyone for your help! I am going to try some of these ideas and see how it works out. Thanks again!!!