Thread: getting into the cat box

getting into the cat box

Hi all,

Me again. I just wanted to know how to stop my dog from getting into the cat box. He is eating the cat poop. YUCK!!!!!!!!!

Watch out for poopy kisses. eeeewww

You could get a litter box with a lid and a flap. If the flap doesn't deter him or the cat is freaked out by it, take the flap off and turn the box towards the wall where the cat can get to the opening, but the dog can't. There are also these new litter boxes that look like rubber maid containers (at Petsmart) with a hole on the top so the cat has to jump down into it, but the dog can't get in it. Maybe you can move the litter box into a room that the dog never goes into. Just be sure to show the cat where you move the box so it doesn't get confused.

That's about all the advice I have for now. Good luck.

Thanks for the ideas, I spent a fortune for the cat box with the flap and one that they have to go around the corner to get in, that helped for my big dog Charlie, but Romeo is the same size as the cats, so that didn't work, because he just gets in with them. I am going to look into the cat box with the opening at the top, that would be a good idea. I tried moving it to, but he is such a booger. He will find the poop. I just call him my little poopy face. I need to get a picture online so everyone can see what a little handome guy he is. I just love his little face, I think thats why its hard to get mad at him. Thanks again for the tips

Have a great day

here it is:

http://www.hdw-inc.com/clevercat.htm

I've seen them at Petsmart too.

At one time, I had two cats with Bud and Tasha and there was nothing I could do to stop them from munching the little "treats" in the litter box. I tried almost every known discipline known to man and dog but it was too great a temptation for them. I ended up having to put the litter box up out of their reach (on top of the hot water tank actually), the cats had no problem getting to it and though the dogs tried now and then, they couldn't reach it.
    Steve

Thanks Lexi_Lover

"Man is the only animal that blushes. Or needs to." -- Mark Twain

"Don't count the days. Make the days count." -- Muhammad Ali

Thanks,

Putting it up high is a good idea, cats can get anywhere. I never even though of that.

Oh and by the way. Buddy and Tasha are so cute. I just want to kiss there little faces. I need to get some pictures of my guys on here so I can share there cuteness with everybody.

Thanks for the tip

Originally posted by tloveall
    Thanks,

Putting it up high is a good idea, cats can get anywhere. I never even though of that.

Oh and by the way. Buddy and Tasha are so cute. I just want to kiss there little faces. I need to get some pictures of my guys on here so I can share there cuteness with everybody.

Thanks for the tip

You're welcome for the tip! Bud, Tash and I thank-you for the compliments. Welcome to Pet Talk, I am a relative new-comer myself. If there is one thing I've learned in my short time here, people on here (myself included) love pics so yes, get 'em up!
    Steve

Thanks Lexi_Lover

"Man is the only animal that blushes. Or needs to." -- Mark Twain

"Don't count the days. Make the days count." -- Muhammad Ali

Putting it up high should work.

My cousins have 2 maltese and 2 cats. They have their littler box on a step stool, covered with the flap. The dogs can't reach it but the kitties use it fine.

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

I actually had to put a big barrier up in the basement so that my dogs would stop getting in the cat box. We had tried everything else. I have one dog that just LOVES cat poopies!!!

What I did with my Golden Retriever puppy is when I caught her in the act of getting in the litterbox I would walk up to the box hit the side and say "NO" lets just say it only 2 took times for that to happen and now she leaves the box alone. (It's a covered cat box facing the wall)

Magic also likes to "snack" on kittie truffels. I solved the problem by getting a covered cat box and simply turning it around so the opening faces the wall. Leave about six inches for the cats to enter the box and the dog can't get her head in it. Worked like a charm!

Magic Bailey-Jane and Judy

I had the same problem with Misty, however, she much preferred the taste of the litter itself!

We hadn't gotten Bailey yet, but we were preparing and I got the litter box and put it in our ensuite where it would be and filled it with litter. We got the "World's Best Cat Litter" and she just loves that cornmeal taste!

We gave up and finally put the litter box in the ensuite shower stall (we never use it), duct taped over the drain, and fashioned a wooden block attached to the door to hold it open just enough for Bailey to get in, and bungy corded the door closed on the block.

Works like a charm!

Unhappy Yuck

My dog Brutus [on dog of the day 3/25] jeeps going in the cat pan to eat the poop. Yucky!!!!! But we have to leave the door open for the cat to get in. We already have a kitty door but our cat can't push it open to good.
    Last edited by katie&pets; 03-23-2005 at 11:36 AM.

Question Brutus

Do you think we could some how keep him up stairs when he's not eating? If so how?

Re: Brutus

Originally posted by katie&pets
    Do you think we could some how keep him up stairs when he's not eating? If so how?
    Could you put up a baby gate to block access for Brutus? That's one of the ways we use to confine certain rooms away from the dogs, like the bedroom when Misty is wet so she doesn't soak our bed. Bailey is still able to sail over the gate to get in the room, but not the dogs.