Thread: another bunny question

another bunny question

In everyone's experience. Those that have had kids, anyway. Which bunny breed would be the most patient/calm/cuddly etc..etc.. for children. The youngest that I have is 4 yrs. old, then 10, then 13, then 15.
    We shut up our loved ones with years of "helpful criticism"

Look into a large breed rabbit, they are much mellower in my experience. My personal favorite large breed is the French Lop.

Thank you Wolf_Q!

Are those floppy ears a concern? What I mean is...are the floppy eared bunnies more prone to ear infections/problems than the regular sticky up ears?

Yup, that's what I was going to say, too. But do check the bunny's temperament ahead. See http://rabbit.org for lots and lots of bunny info, and links to rescue bunnies who need homes! The good thing about a rescue bunny is his or her foster-parents will know who is calm and cuddly, and who is fiesty and fidgety!

To the best of my knowledge, lops are not prone to more health problems than regular rabbits.

Also, start with an ADULT rabbit, not a baby, and (IMO) a neutered male is the easiest to start with. With a baby rabbit, you never know what you are really getting(I had a very cute baby that turned into a very nasty adult rabbit), and in my experience males are mellower. Don't get me wrong, females are just as sweet, but my female rabbits were always more adventurous than cuddly.

Prepare for the fact that many rabbits don't like to be held and cuddled. A lot of them are actually quite independent. Most of my rabbits liked petting, but very few of them liked to be picked up or held.

Thank you Wolf_Q!

Personally, I would never get a rabbit for a little kid (under age 12/13). They are too fragile for rough little kids. My princess Peanut was previously owned by little kids (under the age of 13) and she was given to the humane society because she bit everything and anything that was stuck into her cage, including fingers. I don't blame her one bit, I would do the same thing too. I know she was not well taken care of, it was extremely evident based on the stupid commets they left on her papers. Since I have adopted her she has never bitten me once. Rabbits break their bones quite easily, if someone doesn't handle them properly it doesn't take much for them to break their backs or leg bones. Also, they need a lot of attention, and like 90% of kids they will be crazy over the pet for a while then get bored with it over time and it soon becomes the parents' job to care for the animal- rabbits need a dedicated owner that will give it what it needs when it needs it. Of course, this may not apply to your kids- this is for some kids in general, it's very common. That is just my personal viewpoint on (younger) kids and pets.

Peanut is a large breed, she is an American Chinchilla and weighs in just a little under 7 pounds. Buster is a Dutch and is a little over 4 pounds. If you are 105% sure that you're kids are up for the challenge of rabbit ownership, then follow WolfChan's advice and look into a large breed- they will be heartier compared to a Netherland Dwarf or similiar small breed. Good luck with your bunny search, show us pictures of the rabbit when you get one, or ones you are interested in!!
    LAURA {Human}, FRANNY {Boxer}, PEANUT, BUSTER, & NIBBLES {Rabbits}

Thanks Roxyluvsme13!

"The wind of heaven is that which blows between a horses' ears"- Arabian Proverb

I have to say that I agree with YLL. I worked in three different pet stores over the last three years, and I saw several instances where a small child tried to pick up a rabbit and it broke its back trying to get away. Also, rabbits prefer a mellow, quiet environment. They startle easily, and they stress easily. Take this into consideration as well...is your home going to be a happy environment for a rabbit?

Thank you Wolf_Q!

Originally posted by YellowLabLover
    Personally, I would never get a rabbit for a little kid (under age 12/13). They are too fragile for rough little kids.
    I agree, but disagree.... I have a 4 year old brother who is sooo gentle with Freckles, and Freckles absolutely loves the attention! I guess it depends on the type of kid it is.

My little one is not a big carrier. When we had the cat and the guinea pig, she never wanted to carry them. She just wanted them to sit down beside her, or on her lap, while she petted them with one hand and sucked her thumb with the other. My 10 yr. old is a carrier tho. The other 2, which are 13 and 15 are just like the little one...petters, and if petted pet has had enuf and runs away, they don't go chasing it around trying to catch it. They figure if it wants more attention, it knows where to come. When the guinea pig was with us, she would like to lean against the tank, with her arm dangling in the tank, and just pet her. And of course,the guinea pig obliged, purring the whole time. Too bad she was allergic to the piggie, she was in 7th heaven when I would sit Daisy in her lap and she would just sit and pet and pet and suck that thumb. Actually, I'm not really a carrier myself. I'm happy to do what the kids do...MINUS THE SUCKY THUMB. If the pet goes away, I just say "whatever" they'll be back when the mood strikes.

Thanx for that little tidbit, WolfChan. A neutered male, hmmm. Never would have thought of that. I would have leaned towards a female. Thanx again. More info to process. Thanx guys.

mine r neutered males

Most excellent. That's a vote in the general direction of the neutered male persuasion.