Thread: Recreational Bones??

Recreational Bones??

Can someone tell me what other kind of recreational bones I can give to my Yorkie mix (13 lbs) besides 'marrow bones'? It's been hard to find them lately and I have been wondering if there are any other kinds I can have her gnaw on? Something not too huge. She is a super chewer for a small dog, but doesn't really like to tackle anything she can't carry around easily. Can they eat those 'short ribs'? I just don't want her to get any kind of bone that isn't good for her or that she isn't supposed to actually chew up. Any ideas? Thanks for any replies...

Try giving her a 'bully stick', you can get them at pretty much any pet supply store. They are much better than rawhide, and digestible!

Kaitlyn (the human)
    Sadie & Rita (Forever in Our Hearts) (the Labbies)

Bully sticks are good, and so are deer antlers. They're called Antlerz. Heard nothing but good things about them.

http://www.bestbullysticks.com/Antle...Fd4D5QodeTinbw
    Monica Callahan KPA-CTP *Woohoo!*

I was going to say bully sticks as well, lol.

I buy the 3 foot long, then use the garden pruners to cut into 3 to 4 inch lengths, store those in a seal tight baggie.

Are you looking for something to give as a 'snack' or are you looking to get something that she can have to get her "chew on'

I really like the "Kong" bone. They come in different colors and have holes in each end so that you can put something it them like peanut butter or cheese.
    I have used them for about 4 years and my Rotties love it. I have been using the same 6 bones all that time and never had to replace them. And believe me, my boys can bite/chew through ANYTHING
    They love to just sit and gnaw on them for hours.

Puppies make the best friends

I'm A Loki Dog!!!!

Once I spoke the language of the flowers,

Once I understood each word the caterpillar said,

Once I smiled in secret at the gossip of the starlings,

And shared a conversation with the housefly

in my bed.

Once I heard and answered all the questions

of the crickets,

And joined the crying of each falling dying

flake of snow,

Once I spoke the language of the flowers. . . .

How did it go?

How did it go?

Forgotten Language by Shel Silverstein

Shouldn't we just be teaching the pups to "Just say NO" to recreational bones?

Sorry, couldn't resist.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

She has bully sticks and has grown tired of them. She has had antlers, hooves, pig ears, lamb ears, kongs and all kinds of things from Merrick. I am just looking for something for her to chew on in the raw/recreational bone department besides marrow bones. Is there ANY other kind of bone she can have besides marrow bones?? She is small but chews like a pit bull... LOL...

Well, if you're truly looking for raw. Then raw is perfectly fine. But there are some stipulations with raw bones. No weight bearing bones, such as cow legs. Pork hocks make excellent raw meaty bones (rmb). Realize that any raw bone you give will HAVE to have meat on it because the bone by itself is bad. So a chicken thigh would be good. If you do go with raw bones with meat on them, you may have to cut back on kibble on the days you give them because they will be getting nutrients from the meat and you don't want to overfeed. Rib bones of the pork variety are good too. Beef ribs are good, just realize they are not edible, especially for little dogs. Although I have heard they make good things for little dogs to chew on because it's almost impossible for them to eat them. Just take them away when the meat is gone because you don't want any broken teeth. I experimented with Pork neck today. The pieces were a little small for Delta, but a 13 pound dog would do well with the cut up portions of pork neck. Just make sure there are no sharp edges from being cut. I am going to have to try and find whole pork neck for Delta... Oh... and the rule of thumb for recreational raw meaty bones is, make it at least the size of their head so there is little chance of choking, and of course constant supervision.

Rule of thumb I try to follow:

Delta is raw fed so she needs to actually eat bone in her diet. Chicken is the weakest, easiest bone to eat... so if you want to let your dog eat it, then chicken is the best.

Pork would be next probably, maybe along with lamb? Haven't fed lamb yet. These are definitely harder, but parts of the pig are still edible.

Beef and probably venison are the hardest. There are hardly any edible bones on a cow.

This is all raw of course. No cooked bone is ever good for a dog.
    Last edited by MonicanHonda; 02-04-2010 at 12:01 AM.
    Monica Callahan KPA-CTP *Woohoo!*

Thank you so much for your replies... especially you, Monican. I really appreciate such a detailed response. All of you seem so helpful and nice over here. The forum I came from seems so clique-ish, it is really hard to fit in.... so thank you again for your replies...