Thread: It's Almost Easter Time...Time to Warn About Lilies!

If You Don't Talk To Your Cat About Catnip, Who Will?

It's Almost Easter Time...Time to Warn About Lilies!

FELINE HEALTH ALERT: LILIES CAN BE LETHAL
    With Easter just around the corner, the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center (APCC) has partnered with the Cat Fanciers' Association (CFA) in a campaign to educate companion animal caretakers about the potential dangers of some of the most popular springtime plants. Many kinds of lilies—including Easter lily, tiger lily, rubrum lily, Japanese show lily and some species of the day lily—can cause kidney failure in cats if ingested.
    Last year alone, the center handled more than 275 cases of cats ingesting a lilium species. Signs of toxicosis, such as vomiting, lethargy and loss of appetite, may appear within a few hours, and will continue to worsen as damage to the kidneys progresses. Without prompt and proper treatment, kidney failure can develop in 36-72 hours. "Unfortunately, all parts of the lily are considered toxic to cats," says APCC veterinary toxicologist Dr. Sharon Gwaltney-Brant. "Consuming even small amounts can be life-threatening."

You can keep your feline family members safe and sound by simply removing all dangerous plants from their access. We also encourage you to consider beautiful but safer alternatives to lilies, such as Easter orchids, Easter daisies and violets. To help you identify potentially harmful members of the lily family, the APCC and CFA have developed online informational materials that include photos of dangerous species and a list of nontoxic plants. Please visit APCC or CFA to take a look.
    ~*~ "None left to rescue, none left to buy, none left to suffer, none left to die. None to be beaten, none to be kicked...all must be loved and all must be fixed".
    Author Unknown ~*~

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

~BRRR~ I'VE BEEN FROSTED!!!~ BRRR~

Wow Jan, I didn't know that!! If I had known I never would have planted day lillies in the back yard. I've had them for several years and I've never noticed any of the outside kitties getting sick. Geez, I will have to keep my eye out now.

Thanks for posting this because I'm sure there are a lot of people who didn't know that.

You got that right Lisa. Thanks for posting this Jan, as I didn't know about this either and I was going to purchase some Easter Lilies sometime this week. Now, thanks to you, my kitties will be safe.

R.I.P. my Precious Katie, Katie Pretty Lady.
    Oct. 1991 - Oct. 9, 2005
    R.I.P. my Beloved Wild Hair Wee Willy Winky
    April 8, 2005 - June 19, 2009
    R.I.P. my best friend Buddy.
    Sept. 1993 - Feb. 04, 2010
    R.I.P. my handsome Mooky.
    July 24, 2002 - April 1, 2010

Thanks,for the warning,that is very timely,as I bet a lot,of people,would bring Lilies,home.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Thanks for the warning! I usually get my mom a lily, but haven't done so the past few years, and was determined to get her one this year. If I do, it'll be safely stored away from the cats until I can give it to her.

If You Don't Talk To Your Cat About Catnip, Who Will?
    Lisa, I wouldn't worry too much about outdoor day lilies...some species are actually edible. For people anyway. Maybe Google search and put your mind at ease.
    ~*~ "None left to rescue, none left to buy, none left to suffer, none left to die. None to be beaten, none to be kicked...all must be loved and all must be fixed".
    Author Unknown ~*~

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

~BRRR~ I'VE BEEN FROSTED!!!~ BRRR~

I did NOT know that!! Thanks for the post Jan.