Thread: Found a rabbit - No rabbit experience - Help

Found a rabbit - No rabbit experience - Help

Found a rabbit last night, neighbors tell me they were feeding it carrots for the past 10 days!!!!!!!!!!! I walked over and picked it up, made a make shift cage, went on line for info on what to feed it, made signs (although I doubt anyone will come forward) ran to all night market for rabbit food and rabbit safe litter.
    Bottom line, it appears to be a dwarf breed, how much do I feed her? She does love her baby carrots, give her pellets,leafy greens and celery. Are rabbit dropping supposed to be dry or moist. Hearing horror stories of intestinal blockage and such. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Hi! So it is definately not a wild rabbit, right? What color is the bunny? You are doing okay for food so far, but there is lots of information available online. First, let me recommend some parsley - the flat kind is tastier, then do some reading! If the cage has a wire botton, please give bunny something solid, like a piece of cardboard, to rest her feet on, and a litter box with some hay in it. (put it in the spot where she's already been using for a "bathroom".) The house rabbit society has loads of information online - what to feed bunnies, how to care for them, see our Links page or go to http://www.rabbit.org/faq/sections/orphan.html and then just http://www.rabbit.org/ and read the FAQs.
    Good luck!

P.S. The "pellets" are usually pretty dry, and the urine wet!

[This message has been edited by Karen (edited November 13, 2000).]

Hi. I also have never had a rabbit but I did work at a pet store and learned some pointers...first off, don't feed her/him any celery, it's too high in water content, also you should stay away from head lettuce (Iceburg) also because it's very high in water content and low in nutrition. If you feed him/her greens try to feed her dark green greens (parsley is great, spinich). Carrots are great. Her/his stool should be firm, not wattery. If it's wattery cut out veggies for a few days and feed strictly pellets and maybe add in some whole oats. They are pretty easy pets, there's not too much to it I think you will be a wonderful new bunny mommie

Sorry but I don't have any more advise. Good luck to you and your new bunny

Have you posted anything in the paper? Maybe someone will come forward. I can't give you alot of advice, because I found a wild bunny and they are alot different!! Well, maybe someone will come forward. I hope he/she is doing all right!

Happy to say the rabbit is doing really well. No one has come forward to claim her. Their loss! She is absolutely wonderful. My dogs and cats love her, she is totally unafraid of them. She is litter box trained, follows us all around the house and so far is not chewing or doing anything destructive. Loves to climb
    The only down side is, we do not know what breed she is or how old. She is aprox 3 lbs, 10 inches tall (not including her ears) when she stands up. All white except for light grey upright ears, dark grey spot on her nose and a few light grey smudges on her back. Red eyes. Thanks for the responses..

Best advice on figuring out what kind she is - do a find on our search page under "kind" scroll to rabbits, and select 200 under "show the best "?" metaches (as there are 116 at the moment), go through the pictures, and see whom she matches best!

Things to look at - ear shape, as Netherland drwarves ears are smaller, and "fold" in the middle (vertically), and shape of her head. We know, from size alone, that she's not a Flemish giant, but other than that, have fun figuring it out!