Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reptiles..

Originally posted by DogLover9501
    Well the owner said it was fine since 75% of their size is tail, also the adults they had there didn't look too big, and the tank also looked about the same size as ours.

However, we will probably end up getting a bigger tank in the future anyway, as I also was expecting him to say that he could live in it for a year or so, but he said all it's life.

I am prepared though, if we need a bigger tank, as we already thought we'd need to get a bigger one when he grew.

*EDIT* Actually we went there to get something else, as we didn't think we could get one, but I kept going back to them because I just love them.

So we will get a bigger tank in the future, as long as he can live there for a bit.

How big is he now?

Originally posted by Godzilla
    How big is he now?
    Very tiny, his head is *maybe* the size of my thumb, he's not big at all, I'll have some pictures in a few days.

We'll be getting him on Tuesday

RIP Jasper. I can't believe you're gone.
    RIP Tigger...I miss you every single day.
    Piddle Jasper Wiggles Emma Tucker Almond Pecan
    RB Furbabies:
    Tigger Ace

RIP Angus, I miss you!

Originally posted by DogLover9501
    Very tiny, his head is *maybe* the size of my thumb, he's not big at all, I'll have some pictures in a few days.

We'll be getting him on Tuesday
    Ok, good. You're cage is suitable for the time being, but as others have said, get a bigger one as it grows.

You WILL need a bigger tank, lol, they get big! It'll be cheaper to build you own then to buy one. Plus they need height rather than length. If you can find them, australian water dragon are very pretty too! Good luck with the little guy!
    Shadow & Gus (the kitties), Blink (the gecko), Draco, Satine, Damon, & Outback (the fishies) ~I'll be there for you - 'cause you're there for me too~

Be at peace, Erin, I will miss you and remember your sweet face always...

Just because someone works in a reptile store, or even owns it, doesn't mean they know everything about reptiles. Take it from someone who has worked in a reptile store and two pet stores.

Yeah, they're a lot of tail, but the body can still get over 12", and they are active.

Thank you Wolf_Q!

[QUOTE]Originally posted by WolfChan
    [B]Just because someone works in a reptile store, or even owns it, doesn't mean they know everything about reptiles.

I can attest to that. It is a good idea to make tanks progressivley larger and not simply put a baby in an adult-sized tank. You see, I went out and bought myself a black throat monitor named Peekaboo. I loved her, and she was intelligent and personable. But because I put her in an adult sized cage (about 4'x6') she didn't get enough light 'forced' on to her, and she died of cold. Apparently, she didn't know enough to get into the light where it was warm.

Please, don't make my mistake.

Well today we went and bought a day-light thing, and a basking temperature heat light, in red, so that it won't be too bright at night when we turn the day light off.

Also bought thermometers, a thing that weighs humitity, spray bottle, bark/birch stuff..etc

We'll be getting him tomorrow, and we'll be getting a big 100 or so gallon tank in about 5-6 months.

RB Furbabies:
    Tigger Ace

RIP Angus, I miss you!

Does the day light bulb give off UVA/UVB or just heat? Unless you spent a lot of money on the bulb you will need a second bulb to produce UV rays. This is important so that the lizard can process calcium correctly, and if you plant live plants they will die without a UV bulb.

Also, since Water Dragons grow rather quickly, you will want to gut-load his food for at least 24 hours before feeding it to him. Keep the food in a separate container with lots of calcium-rich veggies to eat, it makes them more nutritious for the lizard. Calcium dust is helpful for growing lizards too.

Thank you Wolf_Q!

Originally posted by WolfChan
    Does the day light bulb give off UVA/UVB or just heat? Unless you spent a lot of money on the bulb you will need a second bulb to produce UV rays. This is important so that the lizard can process calcium correctly, and if you plant live plants they will die without a UV bulb.

Also, since Water Dragons grow rather quickly, you will want to gut-load his food for at least 24 hours before feeding it to him. Keep the food in a separate container with lots of calcium-rich veggies to eat, it makes them more nutritious for the lizard. Calcium dust is helpful for growing lizards too.
    I *think* it's a UVB light and it's also their day-light, I'm buying it from the place where I'm getting him so it should be whatever they are using now.

But they also said that I turn his day-light off at night and then he just has the basking heat-light, so if I turn it off won't it get a bit cooler at night?

Thanks for the information on gut-loading the food, I'll do that today, as I think they said that he probably won't eat for a few days when I first get him?

Right now with only the basking heat-light layed on top of the screen, the side of the tank that it's on is 80 degrees F and the other end is about 72 F, and it's been there all night, so it definatly does need a bit more heat.

Another question(sorry!), if I use a humidity box/chamber, will he try to eat it? And is there anything else I can use for now instead of moss before I can get some?

Thanks

RB Furbabies:
    Tigger Ace

RIP Angus, I miss you!