Thread: bird ?

bird ?

what kind of bird is very affectionate?? but not that expensive. i

Are you interested in finding a bird for yourself? If so, you have to first consider that you will have to buy a cage, toys, food, and pay for vet bills. Also, you have to take into consideration the noise level. Are you okay with screetches for attention, etc.? Some birds aren't very loud, but all birds make at least some noise. Lasty, most birds live about 20 years. Are you up for this committment?

If you have already thought these things over, I would be happy to give you some advice.

i would love one for myself, but... i have 2 bunnies a cat, and a 5 month old baby girl.. i was just curious. ive seen pics of birds, and how sweet they look.. just wondering.. i once was at petsmart, and there was a bird there, i cant remember what kind he was, he was beautiful, and he REALLY loved getting his tummy and head rubbed..

The bird you saw might have been a cockatiel, they love being scratched on their heads.

But like Flamepony said, you have to consider the expenses of everything, not just the bird.

Also, a bird might not be the best thing if you have young daughter, if your daughter wakes up in the night the bird might get scared and have something called a night fright and they can injure themself by flying into their cage bars.

Also, a bird might wake you and your daughter up at the crack of dawn. I have a male cockatiel (atleast I think) so he is up every morning before 7. Even with his cage fully covered.

But, if you are up to having a bird and have done your research, I will be more than happy to help you!

Chrissy [human] Snowy [bichon/maltese] Buttons ['tiel] Bubbles [CT betta]

-the zoo crew-
    RIP Taffy, Fluffy, Rainbow, Sushi, and The Fishies
    thatDARNhorse <3

Well, I currently have a female Cockatiel named Baybi. She is wonderful, she loves to get her head scratched, and she hardly makes any noise. We got her for only $70.00. That's cheap compared to other parrots! They are very affectionate, but also curious. If you were going to look into cockatiels, I would reccomend a female-- not that I have anything against male tiels, it's just that I've heard that they make more noise. Let me know if you're interested & I can give you more information. I also agree with chrissycat, you probably shouldn't put him/her in the same room as your daughter.

Originally posted by flamepony12
    Well, I currently have a female Cockatiel named Baybi. She is wonderful, she loves to get her head scratched, and she hardly makes any noise. We got her for only $70.00. That's cheap compared to other parrots! They are very affectionate, but also curious. If you were going to look into cockatiels, I would reccomend a female-- not that I have anything against male tiels, it's just that I've heard that they make more noise. Let me know if you're interested & I can give you more information. I also agree with chrissycat, you probably shouldn't put him/her in the same room as your daughter.
    You got a great price for a cockatiel, I payed twice that much for Buttons!

Male cockatiels are great, if you can deal with the noise. But, I have met some VERY loud females.

Good luck if you get a bird!

-the zoo crew-
    thatDARNhorse <3

Originally posted by chrissycat21
    You got a great price for a cockatiel, I payed twice that much for Buttons!
    wow! We didn't get Baybi from a pet store, but around here the pet stores sell 'tiels for around $99.00.

Originally posted by flamepony12
    wow! We didn't get Baybi from a pet store, but around here the pet stores sell 'tiels for around $99.00.
    I got Buttons from Petland, they are so overpriced on everything there, though. Petsmart, which is right across teh street had tiels for $60-$70! But his personality won me over... He is such a sweetie!

-the zoo crew-
    thatDARNhorse <3

bird

perakeets (I think that's how you spell it) are great I had one. Cockatills are good too, they live longer then perakeets,

No bird is not expensive. Even if the cost of the bird itself is low, there are so many things to consider, and to be prepared for the possibility of birdie vet bills...well, if birds ever need to see the vet it is pricey.

Also, birds are a LOT of work. Lots of reward, and they're worth it if you're up to the challenge, but owning a bird is a lot of cleaning, monitoring diet, chopping veggies, cleaning, training, noise, and oh, did I mention cleaning? Plus, they CAN be a major lifestyle change. No cooking with nonstick cookware around them, no scented candles, or incense, or perfumed ANYTHING (including lotion).

Lastly, I am one of those who is of the firm opinion that in general birds and small children DO NOT MIX. With a bird, you have to learn to read their moods, and when to leave them alone. Young children aren't really capable of that. Also, it only takes the kid getting it into their head once to bang on the cage or take the bird out unsupervised to kill the bird.

Reading over the thread, I can't actually tell if you were looking at getting a bird or just admiring. ^_^

Thank you Wolf_Q!

My 9 year old son and 7 year old daughter have doves. We worked hard to teach our children how to take care of and handle them. My husband and I still monitor the children and the birds. They are very sweet birds and even though they can be noisy they coo instead of screech like some birds which I find soothing. I also love parakeets they to can be very sweet and can learn all sorts of tricks. Where you already have other pets you know the kind of work that goes into taking care of an animal. Birds are not the kind of animal that can be put in a cage and ignored, even canaries and finches need you to do more than just clean cage, feed, and water, they like to be talked to and have music playing for them when you are not home. Of course all animals need interaction with people or another animal.

good luck
    jodi

how do i train my bird?

hi, my name is tanner & im proably going 2 get a cockatillbut im not sure
    what i should do 2 train it. where im getting it from, its used 2 people.
    I just need 2 know if theres any ways that work better than others & if there are certain treats that work better also.