Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I have to say goodbye

I have to say goodbye

Today is Friday March 19 and I have to say goodbye to my friend Roscoe tomorrow. Yesterday, I was advised by his vet that he has chronic granulotyic Leukemia and that he only has a matter of days on this earth. To alleviate any further pain to him my husband and myself are asking the vet to come to our house to euthanize him tomorrow. The vet says that we did not do any thing wrong, even if his condition was diagnosed earlier there is nothing we could have done. I know that this is the only thing we can do but I am not ready to have him leave our family. Roscoe, is the most friendly, even tempered animal I have had the pleasure to meet. He is a golden lab x german shepherd. I am having a hard time saying good bye to him, this sudden turn of events has devastated me. My husband is out in camp and will not be in town for the next couple of months. I have two other dogs that I know need me but I feel resentful because they seem at this time to need my attention now. Has anyone had to deal with this so quickly.

I am so sorry for you. He will feel so much better at the Rainbow Bridge. I suggest you find the post and watch the touching movie about the RB.
    Welcome to Pet Talk. There are many wonderfull, caring people here to help you through down times.

Niņo & Eliza

I am so sorry to hear that. My Dad's beloved St. Bernard, Bruni, was PTS last year after she suddenly was stumbling one weekend, and was found to have late-stage leukemia. It is never easy to say good-bye to a beloved pet. But know that Roscoe will always be with you, in your heart. Think of him going to sleep tomorrow, and waking at the Rainbow Bridge, well and whole.

Give him a hug for me. The other dogs probably lnow something is wrong, which is why they are being needy. It will be hard for all of you. Goodnight Roscoe. Say hello to Bruni for me.

thank you Karen.. I cannot tell you how much it helps, having people who understand the grief one feels when they are faced with such an ordeal

I am so sorry you have to go thru this.... but we all do eventually and its never easy..... you asked if anyone had to go thru this so quickly,,, yes,, I did and my hubby wasnt home.. Our Scottie boy MacDuffers became very ill and had to be put down within hours... and it was my decsion..... it was hard, but I knew letting him go was doing him a favour in the end despite how bad it made me feel. He is now pain free, walking runing and eating his bones at the RB waiting patiently for us to meet again.

Hugs......

I am so sorry .....

Please know that you have found a wonderful place here... I'm sorry it's on such a sad topic, but please stick around and share your great memories of Roscoe, and to introduce us to your other two pups.
    ~Angie, Sierra & Buddy
    **Don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die!**

I suffer from multiple Shepherd syndrome

I am sorry that you are having to deal with this...yes, several of us have gone thru this situation...and it is very hard..

But remember you are doing a kind loving thing for Roscoe, helping him cross that bridge where there is no more suffering and no more pain.

Allow your other 2 to comfort you..they may be doing what they can to ease your pain. I am sure they sense something is going on. They will miss Roscoe too in their own way.

8. I know I am late to reply to this thread...I am so sorry for your loss...he sounded like a wonderful dog and had an amazing life up until now.

Again, I am so very sorry for your loss! Godspeed to the bridge dear Roscoe and watch down on your owner and 2 siblings during this hard time. You will be loved forever and always.

R.I.P Roscoe!

Today you will show Roscoe the greatest love....release from pain, no matter how much it hurts your heart to do so. Hugs.

The Last Battle
    If it should be that I grow frail and weak
    And pain should keep me from my sleep,
    Then will you do what must be done,
    For this -- the last battle -- can't be won.
    You will be sad I understand,
    But don't let grief then stay your hand,
    For on this day, more than the rest,
    Your love and friendship must stand the test.
    We have had so many happy years,
    You wouldn't want me to suffer so.
    When the time comes, please, let me go.
    Take me to where to my needs they'll tend,
    Only, stay with me till the end
    And hold me firm and speak to me
    Until my eyes no longer see.
    I know in time you will agree
    It is a kindness you do to me.
    Although my tail its last has waved,
    From pain and suffering I have been saved.
    Don't grieve that it must be you
    Who has to decide this thing to do;
    We've been so close -- we two -- these years,
    Don't let your heart hold any tears.

-- Unknown
    Save a life, ADOPT!!
    Sue

Rainbow Bridge Angels: Thor, Shiloh and Killian, Avalanche and Wolf
    (RB Gaylord and Bandit, fosters who have touched my heart)

We're all here for you, friend. We do, we really do know how devastated you are Letting go, saying good bye to a doggie, a furkid as special as Roscoe is one of the hardest things we humans have to face. I'm so sorry you're alone. I hope you have other family and friends to be with you right now but know we are here for you too, any time you need to talk, cry or vent. My heart aches and breaks for you Your other babies are there for you to help comfort you, so reach out to them and let them do their job. They love you and don't want to see you sad. All of our RB furangels are welcoming your dear Roscoe and he is not alone. And never forget that he's waiting there for you and you two will be together again, one day in the future. I'm so sorry. I send you my love and a big hug. Sandra

Star,Tigg'r , Mollie and the10 Gallon Gang!

And my Rainbow Bridge Furangels...Jingles, Cody, Fritz, Chessa, Satin, Buddy, Lizzie, Oliver, Squeaker, Moonbeam, Rosie, Ruby~

I'm so very sorry to hear this...may the wonderful memories you and Roscoe have made, help to carry you through this sad time...you are in my thoughts, and all the houndies here are sending healing drool your way, to ease your aching heart...
    Cindy Swearingen
    Mom of the lunatic hound pack:
    Raymond: http://www.dogster.com/?90026
    Fredder: http://www.dogster.com/?71379
    Martina: http://www.dogster.com/?115787
    Buford: http://www.dogster.com/?117083
    Copper (ATB): http://www.dogster.com/?71314

The vet came yesterday and took Roscoe with him, although I knew what was going to happen, I just wasn't prepared for how fast it happened. In the morning Roscoe woke me up and wanted to go outside. I quickly got up and went outside with him. He had so much energy compared to the past couple of days. When I spoke to the doctor he said that it may have been the prednistone that gave him the energy. I asked him if with this energy would treatment be ok, however he told me that Roscoe would not be a good candidate for chemo or other treatment because he was too weak to be put through the effects of what these treatments would do to him. I spent the morning with him, took him for a walk in the field behind our home, a place where he loved to go, where a herd of deer spend most of the winter. The Deer were not there in the morning except for a big flock of geese after he passed on I noticed the herd back. Roscoe wanted to spend the day outside, we are currently experiencing a last blast of winter with wind and snow, but there was a time when the sun came out. He always loved to rest in the sun, so I spent most of the morning outside with him. I could not go to far with him as I had to wait for the telephone call from the doctor to advise when he would be coming. This was so hard knowing it would happen but not knowing when he would be coming. I just wanted more time with Roscoe, but I know that if I kept him alive he would just suffer more and the Roscoe I want to remember is my big handsome man. Today I am feeling guilty, he followed me around yesterday staying so close, I feel that I betrayed his love and loyalty. All of our family lives approx 1000 miles from us and we just moved to this area but in a way I just wanted to grieve by myself. My other dogs, when they go outside, I think they are looking for him. Roscoe, even though he was normally 90 lbs. would always sleep with me when my husband goes to camp, in the winter he is gone for 4-5 mos at a time. Last night my border collie came up on the bed and snuggled with me. He has always been my mama's boy. Next week Heavenly Trails Pet Crematorium will return Rosce in a hand made cedar box made by the Huderite colony with his name, birthdate and March 2005 engraved on it so that he can be with us always.

You did the right thing...you gave him release from his pain. That is the greatest gift we can give to those we love so much...I'm glad you got to spend as much time with him as you could, doing what he loved best...

Know you are in our thoughts...

Roscoe will always be with you in spirit. Love lives forever, in our hearts....
    Cindy Swearingen
    Mom of the lunatic hound pack:
    Raymond: http://www.dogster.com/?90026
    Fredder: http://www.dogster.com/?71379
    Martina: http://www.dogster.com/?115787
    Buford: http://www.dogster.com/?117083
    Copper (ATB): http://www.dogster.com/?71314

(Tears)......Sending more hugs.
    Save a life, ADOPT!!
    Sue

Rainbow Bridge Angels: Thor, Shiloh and Killian, Avalanche and Wolf
    (RB Gaylord and Bandit, fosters who have touched my heart)

when i helped my sweet duke over to the bridge, i cried buckets, i missed him so much. the only good part was in my sure knowledge that we will be together again at the rainbow bridge, and he no longer hurts. he no longer hurts, i gave my sweet boy release from the pain. ((HUGS)).
    joyce who has princess peanut, spokesdog for the catpack, mojo, magic, kira and squirty, members of the catpack, angel duke, a good dog who is missed and angel alex the wonder dog, handsome prince.