Thread: found answer for skin problem.

found answer for skin problem.

Ok as some of you know I have been dealing with a skin thing with Merlin. Vet couldn't figure it out either.
    Recap for some. It's like a black head that gets bigger and spreads all over his ody. they rupture and a waxy substance comes out and realy really stinks (worse than anal gland)
    I started talking with a freind who does nothing but natrual med. on her and her pets. I shaved the poor old boy bald (again) bath in in puppy shampoo. Changed feed While I know some of you don't appove of the food I choose please its working for him. I mix a small (5lb) bagof Beniful with a 15lb bag of his Sr. food. In the AM he gets a cup of this with a Cayane pepper capsule and a gel cap of Flax,fish,and Borage oil.I have been doing this for about a month now and hes sores are almost gone ,his new coat is nice and shiny. I then give him a cup of food in the evening with no addings. He still has an order that is bad but getting better.
    We started thinking about all the things that have happened to him. I remembered how he and the cat managed to get in to my dark chocolate candy bars ( 2 1lb) 3 years ago . He was lethargic but not much else so I figured at the time evey thing was ok. Hindsight being great ,I think at that time he may have damaged his system that handles the pores.
    The combination I am giving him is getting his immune and adrenals going again. He even seens to have more energy (hes under foot again) .
    Just thought if any one else has a simular problem this is what I found. And I have my boy almost back to being him self.

It is old age spots

My dog Dirtnap has one of those on his head above his eye. It was really gross at first. I thought it was cancerous since the dog had soo many other issues with him when I adopted him. The previous owner had one removed a few years back on him.
    My vet told me that it is an Old age spot and NOT serious. Matter of fact he said a groomer could cut it off. It gets really waxy, black, and sometimes bleeds. It looks like it is "erupting".
    I've gotten used to it and it hasn't bothered him too much. I keep it clean as much as possible. I consider it a "pimple".
    He's about 12 years old. He's got arthritis, cataracts, and mostly deaf. What's a little spot on his head?
    Scooby, Shaggy the "Dogs", Ms. Thang the "Cat" and introducing Measley Weasle "The Ferret".

If it had only been one spot I wouldn't have minded but head to toe and stink. I couldn't even pet him it was so gross I had to wash right a way after touching him. and he is only 7 years ol was 4 when it started happening. Hes a springer so way to early for old age. This last out break started after he scarfed down a small package of M$Ms that wonderful daughter let out in range of the wondering trash can(Merlin) It was the worst ever. But know I can manage them.
    Glad you adopted an older freind they can be so much more lovey and thankful.

Corinna,

Is Merlin on any kind of RX at all? Don't worry about the food
    you are using if it seems to work for him. Congrats on the
    progress so far. Way to go Merlin.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

HAving a dog with skin problems and foodissues, i completely agree..whatever food works for him is what you should feed him..

I was curious about the cayane pepper? What does this do for him? Ciny still gets lotso pimples on her belly, and the pepper is helping him, it may be something for us to try!

It helps reives up the immune system . I take it too to help with my diabetes . My hubbys cancer doc told us about it when he was being treated. I should have thought of it sooner as I used to be the manager of a hot food and salsa store.When I worked there never had a cold or was sick .
    The combo seems to be the difference. I think the pepper lets the system get the oils in and work better.
    No he wasn't on any drugs as the vet couldn't figure out what it was and I don't want to use any thing unless its known the problem is and be sure the drug will do the job.
    This skin thing was running in a strange cycle, until this last break out it NEVER was this bad mostly on his tummy . This time it was in his ears too.

*a gel cap of Flax,fish,and Borage oil*

I'm thinking that this is what is helping. I've read so much about the benefits of Omega 3 fatty acids. There is speculation that they may be helpful for arthritis as well as the heart. I've started taking them myself and I have the dogs on Nutricoat (fatty acids) from PetsMart.

*a Cayane pepper capsule *

- Would that be something like the Dr. Foster's and Smith *Dis-Taste* given to deter stool eating?
    *Until one has loved an animal, a part of ones soul remains unawakened.* Anatole France

Cincy already gets a 3V vitamin everyday...I may have to look into trying the pepper too. Do you get this at a health food store?

I have been getting them at Wal-mart. The 3 in one is a Rexall drug bottle . and the pepper fruit capsiles are from Spring valley. I have been taking them as well and I'm feeling better and my sugars are getting lower. Don't know if it will work for any one else(hoomans) but does me.

I did a google search and there are many sites that seem to praise the nautral benfits of cayenne pepper. Maybe something to try for Cincy (and maybe me too!)

I have to warn you take it in the morning not at night or you will sweat the heck out of the blankets. I thought my hot flashes were back it was just the pepper.