Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lucas, 8-29-05

Lucas, 8-29-05

His poops are becoming soft again and he has started using the floor again. The poops are not liquid as before, but I KNOW this cat. If he is pooping on the floor, he does NOT feel well. Call me crazy, but I simply feel this is NOT behavioral.

I have a call in to the vet about what we try next.

At least he seems to feel OK. It's just his tummy is upset about something.

DRAT! I thought we had found our answer.

Jen, I'm so sorry to hear this. I wish that our cats could talk to us and tell us what's wrong with them. Good luck.

How disappointing. I thought you had found the answer too! Please let us know what the vet has to say when you hear.

Thanks so much kittycats_delight for the beautiful siggy and avatar of my kids!

you're not crazy, you know your cats better than us.

I hope the answer is coming!! especially I'm having the same problem with my kiteenager, chance..argh. (has nothing to do with behavioral either..) and he still is being a silly boy! loves to keep our ark busy.

while I'm figuring out what to do for him (in cat health) too, can you tell me how did all of this started with lucas? just wondering..to see if any similar -

hugs for lucas and you! hope to hear the best part next!!
    ..gina & chance
    rest and sleep softly sweet locke..

Lucas

Poor Lucas! Prayers coming his way. You know him, Jen. if you get a gut feeling about something, go with it... 99 times out of 100 you're going to be right. Some feel better lovebug being sent for Lucas from me. Please let us know what the vet has to say?
    FIND A PURPOSE IN LIFE.....BE A BAD EXAMPLE

Poor Lucas and poor you. It must be so difficult dealing with something when you don' t know how to fix it.
    Sarah, meowmie of Whisper, Shadow, Callie and red-eared slider, Kahn

Thank you CatNapper for the beautiful siggy!

Could this be diet related? Gosh I hate to hear this is starting over again. We're going through the chronic nasal thing with Bo. She's been on nose drops and antibiotics for weeks now. If it doesn't clear they may have to put her out and run a scope up her nostrils.

Good luck here Jen. It's always so hard when you don't know what the cause is.
    Trap-Neuter-Return (TNR) is a full management plan in which stray and feral cats already living outdoors in cities, towns, and rural areas are humanely trapped, then evaluated, vaccinated, and sterilized by veterinarians. Kittens and tame cats are adopted into good homes. Healthy adult cats too wild to be adopted are returned to their familiar habitat under the lifelong care of volunteers

Jen,
    Please forgive me if I missed this somewhere, I went to all your Lucas threads in August to get caught up on him.

When did this start? In August? What did you change his food to? Has he been put on any of the intestinal Hills foods? (I/D, Z/D, W/D)

Are you up for trying new foods?

Do YOU feel its a medical issue vs. food allergies/possible intestinal issues (which are both medical as well, but you know what I mean )

Could this be stress? I wouldn't think it would be considering this is a new behavior for him.

Poor guy...and poor you. Its FRUSTRATING as heck and so worriesome when they're sick like this.

Let me know the answers and I'll talk to CiCi and my brother's gf, who are both highly educated vet techs.

Lots of hugs,
    Kelly
    ...RIP, our sweet Gini...

JEN,MICHAEL,TOLD ME,THAT HE IS PRAYING EXTRA HARD,FOR HIS ORANGE PAL,LUCAS,AND ORANGE BLOOSOM ANGEL,IS COMING,TO BE,WITH LUCAS,UNTIL HE IS ALL RIGHT!

ALL THE FOUND CATS,AND I LOVE LUCAS,AND WE ARE SORRY,IF HE IS NOT FEELING WELL.

THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Could this be diet related?
    We have tried......z/d, w/d, sensitive stomach, low residue. He eats c/d because he has a history of blocking, but none of the other foods helped.

We have tried centrine, flagyl, albon, pancreatic enzyme (which he is on now). A thyroid blood test...normal.

He started this oh, about 5 weeks ago now. But he has a history of this happening in the past. In 2002 we had unidentified diarrhea twice. And I know we had it at least 2 other times since then (I keep records very poorly)

I feel certain it has to do with his digestion. when the stool is soft he poops on the floor (I suspect because his "tummy" hurts him). The vet has not gotten back to me yet today, but I know that she was leaning toward an ultrasound as the next step. Thinking they might find enlarged lymph nodes (cancer) or something with the intestinal track. She said a endoscopy and biopsy is a possibility but very expensive.

He has been fine all day. He obviously does not need to poop all that often, but when he does (about once a day right now) it is soft and on the floor. The vet thinks he might need behavior modification, but I know this cat. he has no stress. He loves the other cats, if anything, the separating in his own room is stressful because when he comes out he is dying to greet all his friends and get licks on the head (everyone loves Lucas). Shilo picks on him a bit more than he should so that is a possibility, but I just don't know. I can see pooping on the floor as behavioral, but why is it soft?

Jen,

Do you think this could be a form of IBS or IBD for Lucas?

Micah was on all those vet foods as well it they seemed to make him worse.

Poor thing. You don't need this, nor does sweet Lucas. Don't you wish they could TALK??

Hmmm....if you're up for it, what about adding something natural to fight off the bacteria. Like acidolphilus? You could give him yogurt or the liquid version they sell in vitamin shops.

I'm not sure if you can get it, but Innova works REALLY well for Micah.

Or, I think Noah has some form of IBS...he's VERY sensitive. He does VERY, VERY well on Royal Canin Special. Its a bit pricey, but I believe my local PetCo is doing a half-off deal or something right now with their Royal Canin.

Whatever you try (or not, it wont hurt my feelings), I hope you can get to the bottom of this.

Do YOU feel its something like a tumor? We know our cats more than the vets do...I KNEW Livvy had something seriously wrong before we took her to the vet...and I KNEW Noah's tummy issues weren't serious just from living with them.

Hugs,
    Kelly

P.S. I'll pass all this info to CiCi and Krista and get back to you. I"ve already called CiCi and left her a message.

CiCi says:

Sounds a lot like IBD - poop is sometimes formed in IBD.

Pooping outside the box is due to straining and it getting out of the box because he's hanging over it. Or on the floor because he can't get to the box in time. (<---that's COMMON in IBD)

She recommends trying the raw diet. It cured her dog...(and it cured Micah) of his IBD. (if you info on that, I'll pass it along)

She says she would recommend the blood panel to check for a high white blood count to indicate inflammation. Ask for a CBC vs. the full blood panel if you don't think its a mass. You can ask for a specific blood panel JUST FOR WHITE BLOOD CELLS that can be done in house...if they are familiar with it.

She did have 2 questions...was he negative for FIP? Has be been on prednisone?

Hope that helped...I'll ask Krista too.

I was thinking...have you ever had a sheather's flotation done on his stools to rule out anything? Fecal smears don't always pick up everything..just a thought.

My old lab does fecal flotations if you wanted to collect a sample and send it in. I think it only costs about $20. Let me know and I can send you their address.
    Sarah, meowmie of Whisper, Shadow, Callie and red-eared slider, Kahn

Thank you CatNapper for the beautiful siggy!

oh Jen! I am dying for you! I know how this must be breaking your heart! And then the added worry of whether or not the expensive tests are really merited or not!

I hope some answers show up soon. {{HUGS}}

The poops are NOT near the box.

He had a fecal done (not sure what type) negative.

He WAS on prednisone, I totally forgot. no help.

I asked about the possibility of FIP. vet thought it was not a real possibility.

I think I would still like a full blood workup. The vet only did thyroid to keep the cost down. I don't usually insist on certain test because I assume they know MORE than me.