Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone been to Disney World?

Anyone been to Disney World?

Actually, I should ask - has anyone here ever stayed on the Disney grounds at one of their resorts? I've been to the theme parks 3 times but I've always stayed at a hotel off grounds. My best friend and I are looking to spend 3 days/4 nights ON Disney grounds in August, but we're not sure where to stay.

I've been looking around Trip Advisor and I think Coronado Springs looks neat. It's the type of hotel you definitely wouldn't be able to find anywhere else. She, however, is looking at Port Orleans - Riverside. Both hotels look nice to me BUT I'm sure I could go to New Orleans and find a hotel similar to Port Orleans. I wan't something distinctively Disney since this is the first - and possibly last - time I'll ever be on Disney grounds.

Anyone got any insight? We're looking at the moderate resorts - nothing like the Grand Floridian.

Thanks!

We stayed at the Contemporary. We loved it cause you get into the park a bit earlier than the normal crowd and riding the monorail was so convenient. We booked ours through AAA.

Hope you find your place and have a great time!!! =)
    Cathy, Sammie, & Maggie

"If you can't decide between a Shepherd, a Setter
    or a Poodle, get them all ... adopt a mutt!" -- ASPCA

I'm going to have to ask my husband where we stayed the last time we were there. It was one of the hotels in Lake Buena Vista, but I simply can't remember the name. It was not terribly expensive and we had bus transportation to everywhere we needed to go. If I had major dollars to spend, I would probably stay at the Polynesian Resort or the Contemporary.

I worked down there one summer when I was in college and fell in love with both of those hotels, but it has grown so much since then. I worked for them the summer of 1982...darn, I'm dating myself, here, but it was a wonderful experience, and there was only the Magic Kingdom at that time. Epcot opened that fall. It is still one of my favorite places to visit and vacation.

We stayed at the Holiday Inn in Kissamee..I would love to stay on the actual grounds

I hear it a lot better staying on the grounds, but I've only stayed in hotels outside of DisneyWorld. I probably won't have the experience of staying on the grounds ever because I hated Disney World. But different people have different tastes so go have lots of fun.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

We were there in 99 and we stayed at All Star MOVIE Resort!

It was awesome. I really think that staying at a Disney resort added to the whole experience. The restaurants, the decor in the rooms, the music on the buses - EVERYTHING!!!

Check out the 101 Dalmations Block

I want to go back again SO BADLY - I guess I am just a big kid inside!!!

Thanks Kay for my great sig & avatar!!!
    Kissy 1993 (?) - 13 Oct 2005. Always in my heart.
    Ally Cat's Mommy

"It's a matter of taking the side of the weak against the strong, something the best people have always done." Harriet Beecher-Stowe.

We've been to Disney World several times, but never stayed on the grounds. Last year, some friend of ours spent part of the week over at the Grand Floridian, and oh my gosh is it gorgeous!! We skipped out on the parks to spend an afternoon/evening there and it is awesome. The restaraunt was great, the pools are cool,a nd they have live jazz in the center of the hotel.

I know that doesn't help you, since you said not the Floridian, but it si the hotel hotel on Disney preoprty I have spent any time at!

When I was younger, we went twice and stayed in Disney. While I don't remember much, my parents had a lot to say about the hotels and such. For one, unless you're looking into a condo type of deal, most of the hotel rooms were quite small - even for 2 adults and 2 children! Plus, the price of a room for one night is two to three times as much as a normal hotel outside of Disney. Last Spring Break, we all went back to Disney World again, this time staying outside of Disney. We rented a house - seriously, a house with a private pool, garage, backyard, several bedrooms, baths, etc etc - for half as cheap as one of the smallest hotel rooms going in Disney. Does that make sense?

The first time we stayed in Disney, we stayed in All Star. The rooms there were EXTRA small and the room was pretty expensive. The second time we stayed in Disney, we stayed at the Carribbean (sp?). The second time around, we had a big water park type of thing somewhere on the grounds. Along with the water park, there was a mall with a food court. The food there was outrageous in cost, but very yummy.

The perks of staying on Disney grounds? You get into the parks earlier than the normal public. You can trolley to the parks instead of driving/parking. It's a bigger convience, really, with the parks. When we rented the house, that's what we missed - the convience of just getting up and hopping on a trolley. However, if you are going to stay in Disney and go to the parks, I suggest a park hopper. This lets you go to any all the parks you want to go to each day. If you decide to go to Magic Kingdom, Epcot, and MGM in one day, you'll only have to pay the price of the park hopper - not individual tickets for each park. You're going in the summer, correct? I don't know if you've ever been, but unless it's raining out there, sometimes that weather can be pretty miserable! With a park hopper and staying on Disney grounds, you can leave at any part of the day, go back to your room, eat/refresh/take a nap, and then hit the parks back up at around 5 or 6 when it's not so hot. I highly recommend doing this, also.

So all in all, if the convience is more important to you than the space, than stay on Disney grounds. However, prices for those hotels are outrageous. Good luck deciding. Hope I helped a little.
    ~Sara, Daisy, Jessie, Jake, & Jackson

<3 Gone but never forgotten <3
    {Benjamin, Russell, Chester, Dexter, George Harrison, & Leeroy} {O.D.} {Trey} {John-Paul & Earl}

Originally posted by buckner
    I don't know if you've ever been, but unless it's raining out there, sometimes that weather can be pretty miserable! With a park hopper and staying on Disney grounds, you can leave at any part of the day, go back to your room, eat/refresh/take a nap, and then hit the parks back up at around 5 or 6 when it's not so hot. I highly recommend doing this, also.
    I've been to WDW 3 times and Florida probably 6-7 times, so I'm pretty familiar with the weather... We will also do a park hopper as that is what we did when we went in '97.

We picked a time of year when the prices won't be too bad. Most of the moderate resorts are priced around $149 a night. My friend is a Florida resident and gets a discount which will be about $80 per night, so price isn't that big a deal to us. We can't afford the Grand Floridian but the moderate resorts (Caribbean Beach, Coronado Springs, Port Orleans, etc.) aren't bad at all with that discount.

I've just never had the experience of staying ON Disney grounds and once I go back with my husband and kids it'll be even more expensive so I doubt I ever will again. We definitely want to stay within the campus. We've done the hotel-outside-of-the-park thing.

Thanks for your help.

Do you know that I only live about an hour from there and I got so sick of it that I haven't been in probably 20 years or more. I got tired of it while in school because the band went every year. I did get to see the underground one time, which was pretty cool. They've got restaurants and all kinds of things there.

9/3/13
    I did the right thing by setting you free
    But the pain is very deep.
    If only I could turn back time, forever, you I'd keep.
    I miss you

I hear you whimper in your sleep
    I gently pet you and say, no bad dreams
    It will be alright, to my dog as dark as night.

Fur as dark as the night.
    Join me on this flight.
    Paws of love that follow me.
    In my heart you'll forever be.
    [/SIZE]

How I wish I could hold you near.
    Turn back time to make it so.
    Hug you close and never let go.
    11/12/06

i dont remember where we stayed on the grounds, but it was great!!!
    Kari (me), Kiera (B&T Coonhound), Jesse (cocker), Jada (Ball Python), Derek (Betta)

Add Glitter to your Photos

~Kari~

Originally posted by dukedogsmom
    Do you know that I only live about an hour from there and I got so sick of it that I haven't been in probably 20 years or more. I got tired of it while in school because the band went every year. I did get to see the underground one time, which was pretty cool. They've got restaurants and all kinds of things there.
    You're only an hour away! Come say hi!!

Originally posted by dukedogsmom
    That's EXACTLY why i don't want to move to Orlando! My dad has been talking about it, but i said No way because i would be so sick of disney.

----

Everytime my sister goes to Disney she stays in the hotels on disney grounds. I, have never been to one of those hotels but from what she says, they're really really nice. As for which ones, i'd have to ask her.. Hope you have fun!

I've been there twice. Once I stayed at the Disney resorts, although I can't really give any suggestions lol

A friend of mine seems to know everything there is to know about Disney though

My babies: Josie, Zeke, Kiba, Shadow (AKA Butter)

I did for the first time summer '03 We were gonna stay at the French Quarter hotel, but since it was undergoing some major construction, we got to stay at Animal Kingdom Lodge for the same price!!
    This was our least fav. part, it was like 95% 100% humidity!! LOL!

My mom, my sister, and me! ^
    My all time best part of the trip was Epcot's Ice Station Cool, sad, I know. I want to name my future show dogs after all the drinks!!

Niņo & Eliza