Thread: Couch Scratching Question

Couch Scratching Question

OK - we've tried everything - Sticky Paws, spraying that "No-Scratch" spray on the couch, we have cat posts and cardboard scratchers near the couch, etc. Nothing seems to work for one of our cats - Leo - he insists upon scratching the couch - Claudia has done it too, but it's rare for her to do it.

My question is this - is there any substance that we can apply to those corners of the couch that is a scent/taste that cats cannot stand, so I can see if that will deter Leo? Something that won't mess up the couch's color, etc.?

Please let me know if any of you have any ideas. Thanks!

Thanks to krazyaboutkatz for the cute avatar and wolf_Q for the cute siggy!

Rest in Peace, sweet Leo. You are sorely missed!
    Since I last posted, we have another new addition - Tabitha, as of fall 2008.

"There are two means of refuge from the misery of life -- music and cats."
    -- Albert Schweitzer --
    (Never has there been a more accurate statement!)

Easiest thing to do is to throw a rug over the sofa corners.

Or try tinfoil, clingflim, lemon juice or orange rind on the corners...good luck.

I hang sheets of aluminum foil on the arms of the couch where Ripley and Jazz have scratched. I pin in on and let it hang. It works. We also use the sticky paws and it has helped. For the other furniture I've been draping a blanket across to keep fur off and that keeps them from sharpening their claws on it too.

From Decker with Love

I've also tried most things! We have only just finished paying our sofa off and it is practically ruined!

At present I am using doubled-sided sticky tape which seems to be doing a reasonable job. I have also used hairspray but I'm not sure how much of a difference that has made!

Will the lemon juice bleach the couch fabric at all? Just curious - I'd like to keep the couch the same color it's always been - olive green.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far...for those of you who use tinfoil and rugs, do you take that stuff off when company comes over?

Thanks to krazyaboutkatz for the cute avatar and wolf_Q for the cute siggy!

Rest in Peace, sweet Leo. You are sorely missed!
    Since I last posted, we have another new addition - Tabitha, as of fall 2008.

"There are two means of refuge from the misery of life -- music and cats."
    -- Albert Schweitzer --
    (Never has there been a more accurate statement!)

Thinking about it, the hairspray is a really bad idea.

Going along the non-toxic lines, I know my cats hate the smell of mint so I might have to go away and have an experiment with that....

Spray bottles/foil

A spray bottle of wate may help in addition. Any time you see them scratching just spray them with water. Aluminum foil is the best solution. You can take it off for company if the cats don't like to be around the guests. Otherwise they may still do the activity with guests there.
    My cat is declawed in the front only but still does the couch scratching! It is a natural thing. It is always good to have a scratching post.
    Scooby, Shaggy the "Dogs", Ms. Thang the "Cat" and introducing Measley Weasle "The Ferret".

My cat used to scratch the arms of a certain couch, I tired everything, the double stick tape ( she took it off faster than I could apply) covering the arms with fabric nothing worked. Someone suggested using the wide clear packing tape on the arms they don't like getting their claws stuck in it so they don't scratch it. I put it on and worked perfectly she only tried it once and never did it again. It's clear so when company comes over it is hardly noticeable.
    I also figured out that this cat did not like the current scratching post I had. The one I had was covered in carpet, I got another post covered in sisal rope and she loves that one. So with the new scratching post and tape she left the couch totally alone.

My kitty tries to eat the tape. LOL Hubby covered the sides in packing tape. It helps but doesn't look the best. She still tries to tear the tape off and tries to eat it.