Thread: Docker's panting..

Docker's panting..

Docker is a young Husky cross that I recently adopted. He seems to pant an awful lot, like even just laying in front of the tv, Bud and Tash are fine, and he's panting away like he just came in from a run. Is this normal for a Husky pup? He seems fine in all other regards (lots- AND LOTS - of energy, eating and drinking normally, etc.).
    Steve

Thanks Lexi_Lover

"Man is the only animal that blushes. Or needs to." -- Mark Twain

"Don't count the days. Make the days count." -- Muhammad Ali

Re: Docker's panting..

Originally posted by schteve_d
    Docker is a young Husky cross that I recently adopted. He seems to pant an awful lot, like even just laying in front of the tv, Bud and Tash are fine, and he's panting away like he just came in from a run. Is this normal for a Husky pup? He seems fine in all other regards (lots- AND LOTS - of energy, eating and drinking normally, etc.).
    I know he's fit in quite quickly with you and the dogs, but is it possible he may still be a little stressed?

Does he have a thicker coat than the other two?

Does he take longer to recover after long walks than Bud and Tash?

Since he seems to be healthy in all other aspects I wouldn't worry too much about it.

That's all I can come up with.... he's hot, stressed, out of shape..........OR it's just normal for him.

Some help I am, huh?

*Thanks Ashley*

Re: Re: Docker's panting..

Originally posted by Shelteez2
    I know he's fit in quite quickly with you and the dogs, but is it possible he may still be a little stressed?
    Well, I don't think so but I suppose it's possible.

Does he have a thicker coat than the other two?
    Yes, by quite a bit.

Does he take longer to recover after long walks than Bud and Tash?
    Not at all (he has the power of youth on his side!).

Since he seems to be healthy in all other aspects I wouldn't worry too much about it.
    That's kinda what I figured, maybe it's normal for a Husky? I don't know.

Some help I am, huh?
    LOL, no, I appreciate it.
    Steve

Thanks Lexi_Lover

Best to PM Glacier shes the best one for husky Questions ,with 20 something around.

Originally posted by Corinna
    Best to PM Glacier shes the best one for husky Questions ,with 20 something around.
    Thanks Corinna, I actually just cornered her in another thread!
    Steve

Thanks Lexi_Lover

My Nebo is a siberian husky and though his coat is not that long it is very very dense. He gets hot easily. Sometimes the house will feel like a normal temp to me and he'll be panting and wanting outside. Sounds like he may just get hot easier because his coat is more like a husky's.

It's quite possible that he's just hotter than your other dogs. I have a few who can't handle being inside for long periods of time without excessive panting. I have water bowls all over the house for them and tend to keep the house a little cooler than most people. Bring a sweater if you ever come visit!

If he's still in his winter coat, he's likely boiling inside. He'll start to shed soon and that may make him more comfy.

If he's acting normal in all respects, (as normal as a husky can act!) I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Congrats on the new addition!
    If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you must find the courage to live it.
    --John Irving

My Husky x Cody pants as you described all the time. In the house, even in winter, she will lay on her bed and pant. She has a very thick coat and detests the heat! Her preferred napping spot is a pile of snow! As was mentioned, even though the house doesn't feel overly warn to us, it must to her. She just started blowing her coat and usually she pants less with her summer coat. As long as Docker is healthy in all other respects, I wouldn't be too concerned, unless he pants on mild exertion, appears to be overly distressed/lethargic, not eating, drinking, pooping and peeing normally. I'm sure Glacier will give you some great advice!

Star,Tigg'r , Mollie and the10 Gallon Gang!

And my Rainbow Bridge Furangels...Jingles, Cody, Fritz, Chessa, Satin, Buddy, Lizzie, Oliver, Squeaker, Moonbeam, Rosie, Ruby~

Have you tested puppy for worms?

The obvious is heartworms. Although in severe cases of intestinal infestations pressure can be exerted on the diaphram causing rapid breathing. Worms can also migrate to the lungs causing problems there.

The other health problem would be a low grade lung infection. I went through this after my previous dog was diagnosed with Lymphoma. The blood work showed no signs of infection after she went into remission. But yet she was panting hard. Just happened by chance she got a paw infection, and Clavamox not only cleared that up, but also her breathing problem.

My current Clover dog (1/2 GP, Lab, plus something) panted like wild when she was < 6 months of age. Eventually she out grew it. So yes it can be breed related.