Thread: Aggressive Behavior

Question Aggressive Behavior

I have a boxer/cattle dog mix (Matilda) who has shown aggressive behaior lately. I got her 2 months ago from a shelter. She had no real back ground, as she was a stray. The first month was great, I wasn't working and we had time to bond and get to know each other. She had not shown much aggressive behavior.

A week ago I started work again and had to leave her home alone. She was suffering from an ear infection so I asked my mother to wtach her during the day. She ended up biting my mother pretty severly. Since this accident she has not shown any signs of aggressive behaior. I take her to the dog park all the time and she gets along great with other dogs and humans.

She is also a terror on leash, only when there is another dog present. When there isn't another dog, she walk really well.

Should I take her to see a behaviorlist, or does she need more time to get used to me as her owner?

I am already very attached to her and would hate to have to give her back!!!!

I suggest you get her back to the vet and get the ear checked out again, the aggression may have been linked to her feeling pain, discomfort or being wary of the ear being touched.

As you don't know her background proceed with extreme caution.

Get to training classes where someone can help you with her behaviour on the lead - this is also, usually a fear issue. You need to be super confident in how to handle the situation when she shows aggression as it seems to be the lead that is the issue here. This is restricting the dog's options when faced with another dog - the option of running away is lost for her and so she responds by threatening. The dog's "critical area" is greatly increased. This is the area that the dog feels comfortable letting other dogs come close to her before she begins to think of her defence options should things turn nasty (it also applies to people, cars, sticks...almost anything for some dogs). A lot of slow, calm lead work is required - pretty hard work for you BUT this is a highly changeable situation. Get some help with it and things will almost certainly improve. If you have a behaviourist in your area that you have heard good things about - ideal.

Don't panic, you have a lot of scope to improve the situation and are obviously willing to try. Good luck, let us know what you do and how things turn out.

Smile

Thanks Carrie, I appreciate your insight! I will keep you up-to-date on what happens.

May I also suggest you start NILF training. She hasn't been in your home long enough to know what her position in the "pack" is yet. Her aggression could be from fear because she is in a new invironment.

Magic Bailey-Jane and Judy