Thread: Elderly Dog-Decision to put to sleep...

Elderly Dog-Decision to put to sleep...

I have a 14 year old female Chow Chow that has hip dysplasia, arthritis, atropy of her legs, has cataracts and hearing loss. For the most part she is a happy wonderful dog. In the past week, she has started drooling profusely and had her annual check up yesterday. The vet says that she has gingivitis and possible peridontal disease and they want to put her under to clean and remove teeth if needed. Until now, they have not wanted to clean her teeth due to the risk that she won't come out of the anesthetic..the prior vet there always told us straight up if he suggested that things be done or not. At age 14, we are concerned that she will not make it through the procedure and wonder if she is in so much pain now, if it is in HER best interest to put her to sleep. Not to mention the cost of this procedure if it won't prolong her life.
    Does anyone have any suggestions??? We love her dearly and hate to even consider this, but we have to look at her best interest. Either way she goes and when will be devastating to our 6 year old.
    Please help....
    Last edited by AmyK; 03-13-2005 at 05:33 PM.

2. Re: Elderly Dog-Decision to put to sleep...

She sounds wonderful. My RB dog Tigger, was 17, and she had everything(excpet gingavitis) that your girl has, even more. She was one of the healthiest dog ever the vet said. He said to let her live as long as she could.

But when we put a nice heat lamp out for her, because it was cold. She couldn't get up, and sat on it instead. She burnta ll her fur off on her back end. And then whenever she got up, she would never cry until a couple days later. Thats when we brought her in to be PTS.

This is my opionion: Put her through the procedure, (she isn't that old) see what happens. Its better to take chances. Putting her to sleep will just end her life right there. Whiel doing the operation would give her another chance at life if she makes it through. At least then you will get a couple more years in with this lovely girl!
    Last edited by Lexi_Lover; 03-13-2005 at 07:16 PM.

I say listen to your heart and do whats in the best for you and your family,,,,,

However,, money shouldnt be a factor if you can afford it...... its how badly do you want to have your doggie in your lives for as long as she is comfortable and pain free

Your comment was very hurtful to imply that I don't love my dog. She is just like one of my children and is a huge part of our family!
    She is in extreme pain and you you don't know what it has been like the past few years watching her suffer with arthritis from the hip dysplasia and not have medication help her. I guess the way that I came across didn't sound right, but I didn't mean for it to sound that way.
    The vet said that she really didn't expect her to live this long and we are very grateful that she has been here with us.
    Thank you for your input.....

AmyK admitted she worded the post poorly, but changed it
    because of the way it 'sounded' to some people. Sounds like
    this person is serious about her dog's many health problems
    and the pain the dog must endure every day. She was looking
    for some help and not questions about her love for her dog.

It wouldn't hurt to read between the lines once in a while.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

6. Sorry about that. I took away that part. I know you care very much for your dog. I just thought that was worded a bit umm...weird I guess you could say.

I wish you all the best with your dog and that you come down to a decision. Sorry.No hard feelings? Give that little show head a kiss for me

It seems then you should go ahead

with the surgery.

The risk of the surgery is that the dog would never awaken. If it doesn't awaken, is that any different than putting it to sleep?

In general the danger of anesthesia in an older dog is the way the liver metabolizes the drug(s) used for anesthetic. Most Vets will insist on a liver panel profile before surgery, and can often adjust the types of drugs used and dosage to fit the individual dog. This is not to imply there is no risk, but the risk can be minimized.

The bottom line is that the decision to put your dog to sleep or not is your decision. No one can make it for you. In general if the dog seems to be content and happy, you should consider continuing its life. But again it's your decision.

It's curious you indicate that nothing has helped with the arthritic pain. Is is assumed your have tried the usual NSAID drugs such as Deramaxx, and Metacam. If no relief has been obtained you might ask your Vet for low dose Torbutrol given once every other day.

Elderly Dog-Cinnamon-unexpected bad news...

Our beloved girl went in for her procedure yesterday...unfortunaley they found something really bad. When they put her under to incubate her, they found a huge mass on the back of the middle of her tongue. It was melanoma and was too large to remove and chemo doesn't work on this type of cancer. The vet said it is a fast growing type of cancer when deep in the mouth and you are unable to see it during normal check ups.. Unfortunately we had to put her to sleep. She was in alot of pain after the biopsy and the tumor was starting to affect her swallowing. This has been a sad 24 hours for our family...it is like losing one of your children and I know I am heartbroken.
    Thanks for all of your responses......

Re: Elderly Dog-Cinnamon-unexpected bad news...

I am so sorry to hear about your special girl.
    She is in a wonderful peaceful place now watching
    over you.
    (((HUGS)))

----<---<--<{(@

I am so sorry for the loss of your beloved Cinnamon.

Rest in peace now sweet girl. You were much loved & will be missed.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

I'm so sorry for the loss of your Cinnamon. She is free from pain pain now. RIP dear girl