Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reptile/Amphibian

Would this setup work?:
    10 gallon tank
    newspaper on the bottom
    heating pad/lamp (whichever is cheapest heating)
    some type of log (can it be from outside?)
    a plastic container w/ a cut in the middle and moss on the bottom for a moisture chamber (do I have to spray it w/ water?)
    water dish

Okay well if this will work how much do the heating pads cost, and how much do the heating lamps cost? What is the cheapest type of heating that I could use?
    Also, how much approximatly is a gecko? And how much is the food would you say?
    I hope it's not too expensive...
    Sara

Well, I'd probably get the lamp (Cost you between $25-$30). Newspaper's a fine substrate, easy to replace. If you get a log from outside, wrap it in aluminum foil and heat it in the oven at about 400 degrees to kill all possible bacterias. Your moisture chamber sounds fine, but yes, you do have to mist it daily. Your water dish should be about knee-level on the gecko and wide enough for him to soak in it. A single, normal phase gecko generally costs about $30 (designer morphs can be significantly more expensive). Food is about $10 per week. (This'll get you up to 50 crickets depending on where you go). For a reptile, a Leopard gecko isn't all that expensive, but it does cost some.

Hope this helps.

They don't eat fifty cricets in a week, do they? My friend feeds her gecko only about 4 crickets per week I think...so fifty should last me a long time!
    Sara

Originally posted by whalelover
    They don't eat fifty cricets in a week, do they? My friend feeds her gecko only about 4 crickets per week I think...so fifty should last me a long time!
    No, that's just what I usually get, lasts me for 2-3 weeks actually. I'm sorry, in that case, food is about $5 if you but crickets once a week. (BTW: Feed at least 3X weekly).

i think you should feed your leo at least 5 crickets every 2 days when it is an adult.. along with meal worms and silkies.

A heating pad is more apropriate then a lamp, they run about 35$.

You have to spray the moss hut every day to keep it moist.

Use bark mulch as a substrate, news paper is annoying because crickets get under it and cherp all night, and it isnt pretty...

Bark mulch is alot more apealing to the eyes, and the leopard gecks dont eat it, they spit it out...

make sure that every peice of food it gut loaded for at least 24 hours before feeding to the leopard gecko because most petstore crickets and mealies dont have much nutrience. feed them a high quality gut load feed, potatoe or orange for moisture, high quality tropical fish food. Bran for the meal worms.

Make sure to dust bugs with calcium dust before every feeding because leos cannot produce calcium by them selves....

My leopard gecko is a high yellow male from a reptuable breeder, he cost me 45$ canadian...
    Rainbowbridge- Tikeya 'forever loved'
    Owned By Luna, Prudence, and Raven

A heating pad is more appropriate for this type of animal. 4 crickets a week is not NEARLY enough to maintain a healthy leopard gecko!!

I would offer it six every two days. Whatever is not eaten, remove after a few hours.

The moisture chamber should always stay moist.

Rather than worrying about what is cheapest, worry about what is most effective. If you have to wait a little longer before you get your gecko to make sure you have the best setup, then it's worth it. (I studied up and saved money for two years before I got a bird)

Thank you Wolf_Q!