Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reptile/Amphibian

Reptile/Amphibian

Hi.
    I will be receiving a 10 gallon fish aquarium from some friends soon, because they don't want it. It comes with a fish filter and heater, and normal gravel. The thing is, I want to put either some kind of reptile or amphibian in it. But, I need something that is realy cheap, easy to care for, and that is interesting and that you can hold and has personality. Something like that, but I don't really know what to get...
    Any ideas on what I could get?
    Sara

I'm certainly no expert, but I can tell you that most reptiles aren't very easily cared for, nor cheap -- they require a certain level of heating, humidity, etc. Not only would you need the tank, but [depending on the type of reptile] you may need two thermometres, a heat pad, a basking light, a nocturnal heat light, a UVB producing light...plus special food and all of the other equipment that you need for a reptile. Also, a ten gallon tank is not suitable to most reptiles. There are some that are dubbed "easy to care for" but that is usually only when compared to other reptiles. If you want to compare reptile care to cat care, a reptile would be very difficult compared to a cat because with few changes some reptiles can die so easily . That being said, I've always heard that corn snakes are cheap and easy to care for -- only my friend had two that both died within a week.

As for amphibians...How about an aquatic frog? I hear they are fairly easy to care for. You can find them at pretty much any pet shop. I once had a small toad/frog (not too sure) with a newt, and they didn't take much effort, although I never cared for them properly. They hated to be held though.
    I've been BOO'd!

Possibly a small corn snake. They are cheaper and not so hard to care for, but they still take time and commitment.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

If snakes aren't your bag, a leopard gecko or crested gecko would do pretty well. Or for an amphibian, there's a whole list of species you could try, but you'll probably have the easiest time finding a common green tree frog or fire-belly toad (don't mix them though).

Originally posted by Godzilla
    If snakes aren't your bag, a leopard gecko or crested gecko would do pretty well.
    Wouldn't a 10 gallon be too small for a leopard gecko? I was under the impression that since they don't climb, they need atleast a 20 gallon for the ground space.
    I've been BOO'd!

Originally posted by IRescue452
    Possibly a small corn snake. They are cheaper and not so hard to care for, but they still take time and commitment.
    Corn snake in a ten gallon? I don't think so....maybe for the first two months. They should have a thirty gallon or lager when they are full grown, because they get 4+ feet long.

I would suggest a leopard gecko or a fat-tailed gecko. If you can find one, a sandfish skink would be fun...they're cheap and attractive and friendly, but a little tough to find.

If any of these sound interesting, let me know and I will tell you about their basic care....(There are a lot of other knowledgeable reptile people on here too, these are just my ideas)

Thank you Wolf_Q!

Thanks, I'm interested in the gecko. I was talking to my friend, and her brother has a gecko in a ten gallon aquarium, and they got him at christmas and he is still living. He seems to be doing fine...and they didn't say he was super hard to care for or anything like that. It's a leopard gecko I'm almost positive, and now I'm pretty sure that's what I want...either that or maybe a fat tailed but I'm leaning more towards leopard gecko. Now I just have to do some research and find out basic care!
    Sara

Oops sorry, that the tank was a ten gallon must have went right past me.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

Originally posted by wolfsoul
    Wouldn't a 10 gallon be too small for a leopard gecko? I was under the impression that since they don't climb, they need atleast a 20 gallon for the ground space.
    You can keep ONE in a ten gallon with no problems. My buddy does, and his gecko is older than I am!

A single leo can be quite happy in a ten gallon tank. It's one of the easiest setups for a beginner to reptiles.

Thank you Wolf_Q!

Just to give you an idea, a very besic setup for a leo in a ten gallon would require...

Sand: Fine grain is better, and some people prefer to use astro turf or cloth turf, and those are fine as well. I just think sand is easier to clean up.

A water dish: something large and shallow enough for him or her to easily climb in and out of.

A heat pad for beneath the tank: As far over to one side as possible. There should be a "Warm side" and a "cool side" of the tank so he or she can go back and forth as needed to keep comfy.

A cave at either end: I like to use flowerpots cut in half or the little half-logs you get at pet stores.

Optional but VERY nice to have is a moisture chamber. To make one, take one of those disposable ziploc tupperwares, or something similar, and cut a "door" in one side. Stuff it with moss, and keep the moss damp at all times.

One important reason for this is that leopard geckos tend to get skin stuck to their toes when they shed. The moisture chamber will help them get it off so that the shed skin doesn't restrict blood flow to the toes.

Personally, I would recommend a nice fat adult male. Hatchlings aren't really fragile, but they are a little more delicate, and on occasion females can have problems with egg-binding, so when I worked at a pet store I always recommended boys for beginners. It's a little more costly to invest in an adult, but in my opinion it is worth it.

Here is a link to Kingsnake.com's classified page just for leopard geckos. Don't get turned off by some of the prices there: a lot of the people on this website breed super high-colored morphs, and some of the geckos listed will be very expensive! I just thought you might find it interesting to look and see what's out there.

Thank you Wolf_Q!

Thanks!
    Okay that sounds good, it's going to end up costing me almost nothing, except for the gecko and food...but I have a question.
    Since I have the fish heater, can't I juse use that? I'll just put it at one end and then it will just heat the tank like it would a normal fish tank...would that work?
    Sara

One of those heaters that hangs over into the side of the tank? Like...a long glass cylinder?

I don't think it would work very well...You could always hook it up and check the temperatures on both sides of the tank.

Thank you Wolf_Q!

I personally use an undertank heating matt. One thing, the matt can only be under 1/3 or 1/4 of the cage, if you put it under the whole cage, the poor gecko can't go anywhere if it gets too hot to cool down.

my friend has her leopard gecko in a ten gallon tank with a heating mat on one side and a moss hut ont he other side...
    I have my leopard gecko in a 33 gallon tank with a heating mat and a mosshut, along with some other cute decors..
    Rainbowbridge- Tikeya 'forever loved'
    Owned By Luna, Prudence, and Raven