Thread: new cat

new cat

hi ive got a new kitten ,he is 4 months old .when i brought him home today my older cats were fine with him but my two 9 month old indoor kittens were not ,my male one is very nervous of him and wont even be in the same room as him he just kind of backs away from him does anyone have any advice because i really want them to get along

Congratulations on your new kitty.

This is just my opinion, but I think the best way to introduce a new kitty is through a slow introduction. If you can put him in a spare room by himself for a few days, this will help calm your other cats. Some people suggest taking a towel and rubbing the kitten with it and then placing the towel in another room for your other cats to smell for them to get use to the scent of the new kitty.
    I myself, after a few days, have placed my new addition in a cat carrier and placed it in the middle of my living room. The first few days, I keep it there for about 15 minutes, then bring it back into the spare room. Then after a few days, I leave the cat carrier for about 1/2 an hour for a few days, then the next few days, leave it for about an hour. I do this in total for about a week and then on the last day, I leave the door to the cat carrier opened and kitty will come out to explore. I usually have great results in doing this.
    Also I have carried them in my arms and let the other cats smell the new kittens butt as this is what comes naturally to them.

In whatever you decide to do, I wish you all the best of luck with your new kitten.

R.I.P. my Precious Katie, Katie Pretty Lady.
    Oct. 1991 - Oct. 9, 2005
    R.I.P. my Beloved Wild Hair Wee Willy Winky
    April 8, 2005 - June 19, 2009
    R.I.P. my best friend Buddy.
    Sept. 1993 - Feb. 04, 2010
    R.I.P. my handsome Mooky.
    July 24, 2002 - April 1, 2010

The thing,if you can,is to let them get used to each other,slowly,Adult Cats,are better,as they are more relaxed.And your Kittens,might be playing,and want,to iniate a Play Fight,which looks like agression.Good Luck,and please keep us informed.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

its not even like fighting he just seems petrified of the new kitten he does anything he can not to be near him

Concatulations!

I was going to say something along the same lines as Lorraine already said.

Good luck!

RIP Jasper. I can't believe you're gone.
    RIP Tigger...I miss you every single day.
    Piddle Jasper Wiggles Emma Tucker Almond Pecan
    RB Furbabies:
    Tigger Ace

RIP Angus, I miss you!

Congrats on your new kitty!!! Just take the introductions slowly and I'm sure that the others will begin to accept him. Good luck and please keep us updated. Do you have any pictures of him or the rest of your furlikds? I'd love to see them.