Thread: Rawhide

Rawhide

I have seen many posts regarding the feeding of rawhide chews to dogs. I don't know if any of you are aware that any product of this kind produced outside of the United States such as Brazil, or China can contain CYANIDE. The USDA forbids the use of this poison in the curing of hides. Be sure to check where the product is manufactured (not just distributed from) before you buy. Also remember to give it sparingly, dogs can't digest rawhide and could cause some major intestinal problems.

Magic Bailey-Jane and Judy

what about cows ears

we've also heard things about rawhide...maximus prefers cow ears, he tends to just play with any thing rawhide...sticks, bones, etc. he keeps them in his toy pile. he has been eating cow ears his entire life (he'll be four 3/23) and have had no problems. does anyone know anything about them...

All the rawhides my dogs get are made in the USA or canada.I always check,i dont want them to eat stuff from foreign countries They usually get a small one once a week. they LOVE them.
    I

Last I knew pigs ears weren't great to feed... But I don't know why and I have never fed them, so just going by what I heard a while ago...

My gang does get rawhide, but usually only in the car because 1/2 of them get REALLY car sick and its the only way to keep their mind off the bumps!

A pig's ear

Some dogs are prone to pancreatitis when fed high fat/salt such as found in pig's ears. The grease almost drips off them.

It's becoming harder to find American produced rawhide. The Harper's brand from Walmart use to be American, but I believe they have switched to Brazilian rawhide. If only Sam Walmart was still alive...

what about COW'S ears

Originally posted by Kevin Farmer
    what about COW'S ears
    http://www.dog.com/vet/holidays/04.html#4

I don't think they're as bad as large rawhides, but they are very fattening and can cause stomache problems if overfed... so I would just feed them as special treats.

<3 Erica, Fozz n' Gonz

Oops, here's another of my late replies. I always order bulk quantities of USA made 4-5" rawhide bones for Logan. I had always given a larger size to Cody every night to keep his teeth and gums clean. When I adopted Logan (Klo) her teeth were slightly discolored, but once I gave her a rawhide bone every night as a treat (and believe me, I get nudged to death if it's past her "time") she has the whitest teeth, Luckily, I never had a choking problem, and I sit next to them watching TV (our ritual) to keep an eye on them. (speaking of Cody in present case) I decided not to give Logan pig or cow ears as I did my big galoot Cody, only because I wanted to stay with one big treat. I know there's so much controversy about rawhide, but I find it a dental necessity. Logan loves greenies too and Pedigree dental bones. All the above turned her discolored teeth into a pearly whites!

I've been Boooo'd!

I buy my dogs chewbones that are American made with American products. When the chewbone gets what I think is too small I discard it to help avoid them from swallowing big pieces. They're never left alone with them.
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

Re: Rawhide

Originally posted by Summer Magic
    Also remember to give it sparingly, dogs can't digest rawhide and could cause some major intestinal problems.
    My b/f and I were hoping this wouldn't happen. My mom gave Smokey a rawhide treat, which he dug into and loved, but it gave him the poopies!

I told my mom as kindly as I could that "maybe it was the rawhide, I think it gives doggies the poopies", then she mentioned Cody (brothers yellow lab) had that happen to him too.

So no more rawhide for doggie.

Originally posted by SunKissedGoldens
    Last I knew pigs ears weren't great to feed... But I don't know why and I have never fed them, so just going by what I heard a while ago...
    Our local pet supply store has pig ears sitting in a basket. I figured if a product like that could sit for months exposed to air and not go bad, it can't be that great for my dogs. Think of all the preservatives. A nicer alternative is slow cooking them (but I'd still worry about the fat.)

My dogs don't get rawhide. Way too many preservatives and I worry too much about them choking. Raw bones keep their teeth nice and white and I know the meat on the bones is fit for human consumption.

Kai [Sheltie], Kaedyn [Sheltie], Keeva [Malinois], Kwik [Malinois]