Thread: Cat Attacks!!!

Cat Attacks!!!

Ok, I am in desperate need of of help here. I have 3 cats. One black/white male manx named Puddin'. One female tabby named Trouble. One Female siamese/tabby mix named Mishchief. Puddin' is 5, Trouble is 4 and Mischief is 2.

My problem is with Puddin'. He has always been a big cat and very aggressive. Last week he attacked me. He even managed to hit a vein in my hand which had blood spurting all over the place. This is what happened: I came home from work early about 4:30 I came in the door and had groceries in each hand. Puddin and Mischief were there at the door. Both of these cats are "door dashers". Im blocking them with the groceries trying to keep them away from the door. Mischief get half way out the door and I drop the groceries I had in my right hand and pull the door too lodging her in the door half way out and half way in. I was holding her with the door. I grabbed her by the tail and yanked her back in the house. Yes, I was afraid that she would get out and I would not be able to get her back in. I picked up the bag of groceries and stood completely up. I am 5'9 when all of a sudden Puddin' jumped straight up from a sitting position hissing and yowling and screaming headed straight for my face. Scared the crap out of me. I swung the groceries which contained 2 half gallons of milk at him and knocked him out of my face and across the room. His claw hit a vein in my hand and blood started spurting out and all over the place. He then came at me again, screaming hissing and yowling. I ran into the kitchen and dropped the groceries looked at my hand which had puffed up about 2 inches and still bleeding. Grabbed a towel wrapped my hand and turned around to run to my bedroom. Puddin had followed me into the kitchen and was crouched down and yowling mad. He followed me into the bedroom and hissed and yowled the whole time I was on the phone hysterical with my husband. I thought that I was going to have to go to the emergency room my hand was so bad. After I got off the phone with husband. I tried to catch Puddin' and put a blanket over him so I could get my hands on him to put him in "jail" (his crate) so he could calm down and be safe and so I could be safe too. I couldnt get to him he ran under the bed. This attack was very violent. He attacked me 6 weeks ago on Martin Luther King holiday and I was just trying to sit on the love seat. He was sitting on the back of the love seat and I was sitting down to put on my shoes and he flew off the back of the love seat and wrapped all four of his legs and claws around my leg and slid all the way down. Luckily my husband was there and caught him and put him in jail. Before that in December, he attacked me. This time I think it was because I put a Santa Claus suit on him and took a bunch of pictures of him, but he attacked me a week later. I am concerned that his attacks are becoming more frequent and more violent. Yall, I LOVE THIS CAT. Why is he doing this to me. He doesnt do this to my husband. We have had him since he was 8 weeks old and only weighed a pound. I dont trust this cat anymore. This recent attack has changed my feelings for him. I still love him to death but I dont trust him anymore and I find myself a little afraid of him. What could be causing this. He is a very mean cat to strangers. He cant stand the vet. This is already very long but what can I do to help him and help myself. We dont believe in declawing. He does frequently attack his two sisters which is awful too...We often have to come to their rescue when he gets them. I dont want to keep him in jail all the time either. Do yall have any suggestions?

Scared in Alabama
    Rhonni

some may disagee with me on this,I never had that problem but Walker likes to go too far in being the dominate cat sometimes,he hisses and bites for no reason(to my knowledge but i know there is a kitty reason)well what i do is this(i profected the kitty hiss sound so well the cats ears go back)i deepen my voice and (to any kitty preforming the aggression)what a bad kitty stop it now.If they dont stop,I do the hiss in one long pro longed hiss.And stomp the floor really hard,which rocks their world. and after the agressor runs i give him/her 10 mins i go find them and kiss their little head and tell them its ok and all is done.FOr biters I do this i let them bit the back of my hand or put my finger in from the side and let them chomp hard,when they bit the back side of the hand it doesnt hurt as much and the finger they cant chomp all the way down because your finger should be placed all the way in the mouth horizonally and never show your hurting from his/her bit.Kittys are smart,once they know you can not be hurt by biting and wont tolerate the beating up of others they calm down.
    give it a try it may work,it has with my street kittys i adopted

1stly...do you frequently "jail" your cats???..(that may be reason they are door dashers)...2ndly your actions toward mischief could have set puddin off, in a defevsive mode...i must say that i don't recomend "jailing" your cats, this tells me that there are under lying problems that need to be dealt with...there are vets and others that may help you tame unruly cats....good luck....

Wow. I have never heard about that sort of behavior
    from a family pet. Something's very wrong. Good luck finding
    a solution.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

I've never heard of anything like this either..I know it may not be the best solution, however I know that veterinarian's can prescribe something like prozac is for human's for cat's in extreme cases.

Of course you'd have to get him there first which would probably be no small feat.

Having said that a full examination and blood tests could be in order in case there's something medical underlying if this is just developing and worsening. He might need to be sedated for that even. Then take it from there.

Also, be very very careful with scratches and bites from Puddin, they have a real tendency to become very nasty very quickly and can even be fatal by blood poisoning, if not treated properly.

Good luck.

Is he fixed? I would hope/assume he already is, but sometimes males get really aggressive for no apparent reason if they have not been fixed. And we are now entering "kitten season" so he might hear all those females looking for love outside.

I also am not too sure of the "jail" because they often associate their crate with stressful things like the vet, and you already admitted he hates the vet. If he hid under the bed, I'd have left him cool off under there on his own. Shut the door to the bedroom if you wanted to be safe away from him.

I'd try to get some Feliway and see if that helps him. Its supposed to help with cats acting very stressed.

Also, have you changed anythig in the home lately? He might be reacting to something different that is no big deal to you, but it is to him. New carpet? Re-arranged furniture? New work schedule? Cat are hghly sensitive to change.

Thanks!!

Kao...

I do not frequently "jail" my cats. The only one that gets "jail" is Puddin'. The only time he gets "jail" is when he acts like this, and only if I can catch him. I might put him in "jail" when I have company over but that is too keep him safe and keep the company safe. He seems to relieved when I put him in jail when I have company over. He has gotten my neice in the eye twice and gotten a little boy from church in the eye (this boy has a small dot under his eye from this) and gotten a friend of mine in the mouth and made her bleed. We tell all our company and friends/family to stay away from him because he is not a people cat. I agree with the one poster that he could have been defending little Mischief, thinking I was hurting her. Puddin' and Mischief are both door dashers. I think its because we do frequently take these two outside. When they do go outside my husband or both of us are usually outside in the back yard with them. We never let them out alone. I love love love my cats. I would never do anything to hurt them or be cruel. Now for an update on Mr. Puddin', for the last week, I think he has been trying to make up with me. He has been jumping up in my lap and sleeping right next to me. I have been showering him with affection and attention. I wonder how long it will be before the next attack. All my cats are fixed and are up to date on all their shots. I am being very careful of Puddin'.

If my husband is home when Puddin' attacks me my husband does do the hissing thing and Puddin' will back down from him. I guess it just scares me to bad.

Thanks for all your advice. We are thinking about taking him in to see the vet. I feel sorry for the vet...Puddin' has 5 red stars on his chart...youuuuuch!!!

Pic of Puddin' & Mischief

This is a pic of Puddin' & Mischief.

Puddin' is the oreo manx and Mischief is the siamese mix.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

They are both very beautiful cats. I'm glad Puddin is behaving better currently. I hope he continues to behave!
    Rest in Peace, dear Oreo: April 20, 1997-July 18, 2011
    :Rest in Peace, beautiful Sandi: March 18, 1994-January 23, 2010

::
    Rest in Peace, sweet Angel: July 1, 2001-May 14, 2009

Deb