Thread: Cat finds the way home from 'Glades

If You Don't Talk To Your Cat About Catnip, Who Will?

Cat finds the way home from 'Glades

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/loc...,3661064.story
    This man serves and protects?????

Cat finds the way home from 'Glades

By Jaime Hernandez
    Staff Writer
    Posted February 26 2005

A Fort Lauderdale firefighter is facing theft charges after he told police that he snatched a neighborhood cat and dumped it in the Everglades because it scratched his truck.

The firefighter's 11-year-old neighbor, Maggie Leonard, was celebrating her birthday Feb. 5 when she realized her pet was gone. She started crying when she learned Cristopher Cortes, who has had a months-long spat with her family, got rid of Mr. Kibbles.

Luckily for Maggie, the cat showed up at her front door Feb. 18 -- apparently on his own.

"It was like a miracle," said Maggie's mother, Nancy Leonard. "Maggie loves this cat like royalty."

Coconut Creek police charged the firefighter, Christopher Cortes, 32, and his fiancee with petty theft and gave them notices to appear in court. Fort Lauderdale Fire-Rescue says it has opened an internal investigation, but Cortes is still on duty.

No one, except for Mr. Kibbles, knows how he got home, located in the 5900 block of Northwest 47th Way in Coconut Creek. He wasn't wearing ID tags.

Dr. Deborah Niedermiller, a veterinarian who examined the cat Monday, said he was in good health, tired, and "looked like he had traveled a little bit" because of his hardened paws.

Cortes' attorney, James Benjamin, said the cat was a stray and that his client saved the animal's life by not leaving it at an animal shelter, where it could have been killed.

"He took it to a safe-looking place where there are a lot of mice," Benjamin said. The attorney said the cat was left somewhere in the Loxahatchee area but would not be more specific.

The Leonards said they took in Mr. Kibbles as a stray kitten two years ago. He eats and sleeps in their home every day, and the family says they had him neutered and vaccinated.

When he vanished, the Leonards started asking around. Neighbor James Maloney told police and the Leonards that he saw Cortes' fiancee, Iris Zuckerman, lure Mr. Kibbles with cat food. At the time, Maloney said, he thought Zuckerman only wanted to feed the cat. He said it was "common knowledge in the neighborhood" that Mr. Kibbles belonged to the Leonards, according to a police report.

The family said they asked Cortes and Zuckerman about the cat, and that the couple told them what happened. The Leonards called police Feb. 14.

Some cats have made longer, more incredible journeys than Mr. Kibbles. In 1966, a couple from New Jersey lost their black Persian cat while vacationing in Florida. Three months later, the cat showed up at the couple's home, according to the Orange County Register.

Animal experts credit everything from telepathy to familiarity with the sun's positions or the earth's geomagnetic pull for animals' abilities to find their home. Still, Dr. Donald Chesen, a veterinarian of 50 years who runs the Village Royale Animal Clinic in Royal Palm Beach, said the phenomenon of animals finding their way home may be inexplicable.

"I think it's a natural instinct," he said. "Some cats can get odors that they can hone in on and follow that and often that will guide them. The true nature of it, I don't think anyone has proven."

Cortes has been suspended twice by his department -- once in April 2003 for arguing with another firefighter while on duty and again in October 2003 for abusing sick time, Fort Lauderdale Fire-Rescue Assistant Chief Stephen McInerny said. Cortes was commended in April 2002 for saving the life of a patient who was in cardiac arrest, McInerny said.

Still, Maggie said Cortes failed his duty as a public servant by trying to get rid of Mr. Kibbles.

"Firefighters are supposed to help people," Maggie said, "and not dump animals in the Everglades."
    ~*~ "None left to rescue, none left to buy, none left to suffer, none left to die. None to be beaten, none to be kicked...all must be loved and all must be fixed".
    Author Unknown ~*~

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

~BRRR~ I'VE BEEN FROSTED!!!~ BRRR~

Cortes' attorney, James Benjamin, said the cat was a stray and that his client saved the animal's life by not leaving it at an animal shelter, where it could have been killed.
    Yeah right!!! I hope the judge give this a$$hole and his d-bag girl friend the maximum. I'm just glad that Mr. Kibbles found his way home and didn't get eaten by alligators.

This jerk should DEFINITELY lose his job!!!

Bet ya if it was a dog, he wouldn't have done that.

Serves and protects what? His own a$$, that's what!!!

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

If You Don't Talk To Your Cat About Catnip, Who Will?
    Here's more info...........Subject: FL - Letters needed re: fireman who dumped cat in Everglades

PLEASE CROSS POST

A Fort Lauderdale, FL firefighter, Cristopher Cortes, allegedly dumped a
    neighbor's beloved cat at the Everglades for scratching his car. Luckily,
    the cat returned home, safely. See article below.

Please send POLITE letters to the Fire Chief and urge that Cristopher Cortes
    be immediately suspended without pay, and that if he is found guilty, that
    he be fired. Cortes is a disgrace to their Department.

Please also contact the Prosecutor's Office and urge that they bring all
    applicable charges against Cristopher Cortes, including animal cruelty, and
    that maximum penalties be sought. In ADDITION (not instead), anger
    management counseling should be mandatory. Only petty theft charges are an
    outrage. His fiance, Iris Zuckerman, should also be charged.

CONTACT INFO:

(1). Fort Lauderdale Fire-Rescue
    Fire Chief Otis J. Latin, Sr.
    528 NW 2nd Street
    Fort Lauderdale, FL 33311
    Phone (954) 828-6800
    No e-mail or FAX listed

(2). Broward County Attorney's Office
    Edward A. Dion, County Attorney
    115 S. Andrews Ave.
    Room 423
    Fort Lauderdale, FL 33301
    Phone 954-357-7600
    No e-mail or FAX listed
    I apologize if this is not the correct office. The needed information is not
    clear or readily available on the Internet and calls to various police
    departments, during non-office hours for other agencies, yielded little
    info.

(3). If you feel like writing to Cristopher Cortes and his fiance, Iris
    Zuckerman, to let them know what you think of their actions, the below
    article states the block (though not exact address) they live on, so mail
    might be deliverable to them at:
    5900 block
    Northwest 47th Way
    Coconut Creek, FL. 33073
    ~*~ "None left to rescue, none left to buy, none left to suffer, none left to die. None to be beaten, none to be kicked...all must be loved and all must be fixed".
    Author Unknown ~*~

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

~BRRR~ I'VE BEEN FROSTED!!!~ BRRR~

thanks Jan for all this information. these kind of stories always remind of the cats you were rescuing at 2 lynn homes when suddenly one of the owners decided to dump an adult (was it the mother? or a male? no matter) in the Lynn Woods. Figuring the poor thing would do better there than with ... What... this was never figured out... exactly why the dumping...I remember I or you called MSPCA and they said there is nothing they can do.
    This is hopefully going to turn out SO much better!!!! Makes it worth the ongoing efforts! Thanks, I will do a nice letter but not via computer!

Wow!!!

This saddens me....That a Firefighter could do this...."To Serve and Protect".....

I am not sure the travelling...Ft.Lauderdale is probably 60 miles from Loxahatchee.....
    Loxahatchee is Nowhere Near the Everglades....probably 1 to 1 1/2 hours by car....
    Why was a firefighter from Coconut Creek taking a Cat from Loxahatchee....
    I am confused...

But what is Most important is that Mr. Kibbles is home safe and sound!!!
    The Deli Dog

I want to Honor All of Our Rainbow Bridge Furkids

What a terrible thing to do to a cat, just think of what the poor little girl was going through because of this big jerk!

Glad they are both united.

Willie

Thank You, kittycats_delight for my new siggy!!!