Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Non-shedding breeds?

Non-shedding breeds?

I am trying to find some non-shedding dog breeds. My neice is very allergic to shedding breeds however she is a huge animal lover so i would be nice for her to get a puppy companion.

Please let me know if you have any breed ideas.

I think poodles are non shedding.
    I've been Defrosted!

Thanks for the great signature Kay!

ALL breeds shed. Even Poodles and Bichons. Maybe they don't shed like a Lab, but all do shed. It's a matter of your own allergies and how well you tolerate a dog. Some people can't stand curly-coated breeds, but can live well with short haired dogs like Greyhounds. Others can't tolerate short haired dogs but live well with curly coated breeds. My advice is to go to a breeder of each and every dog breed and HUG IT!!! If the fur triggers an allergy attack, cross the breed off your list.

In the meantime, is your niece allergic to birds or cats? If she tolerates most bird species, a pet budgie is a very delightful companion.

Schnauzers hardly shed, but as Giselle said, all dogs do it to some degree.

Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our life whole

What about allergy meds? I've heard of people who were allergic to dogs and instead of getting rid of the dog, they were put on allergy meds so everyone could live together happily. Fortunately I don't have allegies, but would more exposure to dogs maybe help to build up amunities to the effects of the dander? Some breeds may not shed fur as much as others, but if they have skin problems which cause flakey skin, then it's going to be just as bad as a dog that sheds more cause the dander will be everywhere.
    Love is Adoptable. Adopt a Pit Bull.

Don't Breed or Buy While Shelter Animals Die.

If Pit Bulls are outlawed, only outlaws will have Pit Bulls.

hmm my old naighbors had 2 dogs even though the dad was allergic to dogs and the mom was a baby sitter, they adopted a cockapoo from the shelter, and got a shihpoo from a petstore(bad bad lol) and they do just fine with them.
    Shayna
    Mom to:
    Misty-10 year old BC Happy-12 year old BC Electra-6 year old Toller Rusty- 9 year old JRT X Gem and Gypsy- 10 month ACD X's Toivo-8 year old pearl 'Tiel Marley- 3 year old whiteface Cinnamon pearl 'Tiel Jenny- the rescue bunny Peepers the Dwarf Hotot Miami- T. Marcianus

"sister" to:

Perky-13 year old mix Ripley-11 year old mix

and the Prairie Clan Gerbils

You got some good advice. All breeds really do shed or have dander, but some only to a very small extent.

Some breeds that are pretty good for allergies are shi tzus, bichon frises, poodles, curly-coated retrievers, lhasa apsos, hairless chinese crested dogs, Mexican hairless dogs, Yorkshire terrier, Spanish water dog, Portuguese water dog, Maltese, and basenji. You will notice that alot of breeds considered good for allergy suffererers have hair that needs to be clipped. Look at some terriers as well. Good luck.
    I've been BOO'd!

We have two miniature schnauzers and they don't shed at all. This was one of the reasons we chose this breed when we decided to get a dog. Instead of shedding their hair, the hair grows out, so they need to be groomed. If their hair gets too long they can get mats, which is basically when the hair gets clumped together. But regular brushing and good grooming solve this problem. Schnauzers are a wonderful breed and we never, ever have to worry about shedding!

Originally posted by ZackAbby
    We have two miniature schnauzers and they don't shed at all. This was one of the reasons we chose this breed when we decided to get a dog. Instead of shedding their hair, the hair grows out, so they need to be groomed. If their hair gets too long they can get mats, which is basically when the hair gets clumped together. But regular brushing and good grooming solve this problem. Schnauzers are a wonderful breed and we never, ever have to worry about shedding!
    So can we get to see pics of your furkids? My two are standards, Oggy & Flute.

Breeds that DO NOT shed:

Poodles
    Soft Coated Wheaton Terriers
    Bedlington Terriers
    Schanuzers
    Spanish Water Dogs
    Portugese Water Dogs

I think there's more, you should research a few of these breeds, and see what you think of them. Good luck!

Kaitlyn (the human)
    Sadie & Rita (Forever in Our Hearts) (the Labbies)

Wow, you sure did get a lot of good advise. I agree that all dogs shed to some extent, but with some dogs it is minimal as long as you keep them properly groomed. Let me add another dog to those that you may consider researching further. The Havenese is a small dog that comes under the non-shedding category and they don't have really have any skin problems. One thing you should be aware of though is that if you do not get them groomed regularly (or are able to groom them yourself) their coat may cord. But they really are cute little dogs, they were on my short list for awhile

I had a schnauzer for 16 years and if she shed one hair I never saw it...
    I now have a yorkie poo and she does not shed..
    Yorkies nor poodles shed..there are several breeds that say little or NO shedding..

Gotta love schnauzers.

Here is some information from the UK Kennel Club:

Studies have shown that dog hair can induce asthma attacks and other related respiratory problems, as well as certain allergies and, indeed the advice received from The Asthma Research Council is that it is probably better not to have a dog at all.

However, it is understood that this is not an option for some people and therefore, it would be better to opt for a breed of dog, which does not moult. The following is a list of supposedly non moulting breeds and, for further advice on their characteristics, coat etc., advise the customer to contact the relevant Breed Club Secretaries who should be able to give expert advice on that particular breed.

BEDLINGTON TERRIER
    POODLE
    FOX TERRIER (WIRE)
    YORKSHIRE TERRIER
    PORTUGUESE WATER DOG
    BICHON FRISE
    MALTESE
    AFGHAN HOUND
    KERRY BLUE TERRIER
    TIBETAN TERRIER

Thanks to BCBlondie for this great signature!

By the way, keep in mind that dog hair is almost never the culprit. It's dog dander, which every breed has, whether or not they shed.
    I've been BOO'd!