Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How does your name rank?

That was fun. My name was Nr 3 in the 30s and Nr 6 in the 50s when I was born. I would never have expected that because it is not THAT popular here. It was Nr 142 in 1900 and Nr 628 in 2003- so I guess it is an all-purpose name
    I always was happy that it exists in many languages - I would hate to be a Friederike or Sieglinde (rather un-cool names plus you can never understand your name if they call your name in an airport ).

Karen was ranked #3 in the 1960s, no surprise there, I'm never the only Karen in any group of girls/women. It's #143 in 2003.

My older brother's name, Iver, is not on any top 1,000 ever!

That's very interesting, but I was very surprised to see that my name was #1 in the 1980s. I was named in 1974 and Mom told me they almost named me Jennifer but decided on Jessica as it seemed a lot less common to them, Mom didn't know anyone, adult or child, with the name at that time.

The reason it surprised me though is that I've almost always been the only Jessica in my classes, in high school, college, always been the only Jessica in my workplaces and most things I've ever been involved in. My high school graduating class had multiple kids named Jennifer and Amy.

I know it's not an unusual name but I never figured it would be THAT common based on my experiences. I guess I just don't happen to run into all the other Jessicas that are out there much
    Mom to Raven and Rudy the greyhound

Missing always: Tasha & Tommy, at the Rainbow Bridge

My niece is a Jessica, she's 19, and there are always tons of Jessicas, Jessies, Jess, etc., wherever she goes!

You've just gotta hang out with a younger crowd, Jess!

I guess so
    Mom to Raven and Rudy the greyhound

Missing always: Tasha & Tommy, at the Rainbow Bridge