Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do your kitties act at the vet?

How do your kitties act at the vet?

We have mixed experiences at the vet. It's only 10 minutes from our house, but the ride is annoying to the male kitties (they're complete babies in the car, whereas the girls are just fine with sitting/sleeping in their carriers). Bailey used to be ok at the vet when he was a kitten, but last year when he went for his annual visit, he was a holy terror. He let out sounds like I've never heard before. This place specializes in cats, and they said he was not nearly the worst they've dealt with, but he made us very worried - you would think they were killing him! He ran all over the room - they called him "one big muscle". Needless to say, there wasn't much of an exam, just the shots - he was healthy anyway.

Leila was good at the vet right after we adopted her, but last year, at her annual visit, she was just evil - she let out worse sounds than Bailey and turned into the wild animal we know she is. I was very worried for her too, but like Bailey, once they gave her the shots and put her back in her carrier (they couldn't do an exam, but she was healthy too), she was fine.

Bailey & Leila will be going to the vet this year at the same time, and they'll be put under the short-term anesthesia/sedative (whatever it is they use) b/c they're getting microchipped and we want them to be fully checked out in addition to their shots. They said that with good vet kitties, they can do the microchip without putting them under, but not with these two.

Leo is a vet's dream - he's so sweet to everyone! He's had a few issues since we adopted him, including a trip to the emergency room the Sat b4 Thanksgiving 2004 for constipation (he stayed overnight for enemas, etc.), and every time we've gone, he's whined in the car, but once we're at the vet, he's a happy camper - he's so good! Every vet loves him!

Claudia was just a sweetie when we took her one time. No problems there. I wonder what it is about the two Louisiana cats (adopted them while still living in Baton Rouge) that makes them hate the vet? The two Missouri cats are ok with it. Weird.

Just wondering - what are your experiences taking your multiple cats to the vet? I don't know if it's been posted before, but it's an interesting topic.

Thanks to krazyaboutkatz for the cute avatar and wolf_Q for the cute siggy!

Rest in Peace, sweet Leo. You are sorely missed!
    Since I last posted, we have another new addition - Tabitha, as of fall 2008.

"There are two means of refuge from the misery of life -- music and cats."
    -- Albert Schweitzer --
    (Never has there been a more accurate statement!)

Kelcee acts like a 500 pound lion at the vets when they try to give her a shot. That is if I can get her out of her box. She tries to get little so no one will see her now. She used to act much bigger in her younger days !!!

Money will buy a pretty good dog but it won't buy the wag of his tail. - Josh Billings

Zeus is fine at the vet. Right when Peppurr goes in he pee's everywhere :P

Squeekers HATES going to the vet whereas Misty LOVES it.

-Amanda-
    Owned by...
    (Betta) Neptune
    (Bunny) Chester
    (Cats) Misty and Squeekers

*Pet Portraits*

IN the car ...

MEOW MEOW MEOW *bump scrabble bump* (trying to get out of the cat carrier)

MEOW MEOW MEOW ... etc

At the vets ....

MEOW MEOW MEOW *bump scrabble bump* (trying to get out of the cat carrier)

At the weigh in ...

HISS MEOW MERRRRRRRRRRRRROWWWWWWWWWWWW *trying to get out of cat holster*
    *does crocodile impression*

Vet check....

On table trying to hide underneath my arms and yowling like a banchee ....

repeat car performance on the way home

home

purrs and wraps herself around legs in the vain hope of getting a treat for being *good*.

This is Bastet mind you .... not me I am sweating and trying to calm her down ... partner is looking at me with sympathy and trying to drive at the same time.

*takes some painkillers and lays down at memory of vet performance*.
    "A cat cannot see directly under its nose. This is why the cat cannot seem to find tidbits on the floor."

Inka: She is terrified about cars, so as soon as she hears the motor running, she starts howling like a wolf ... . She doesn't stop a second on the way to the vet!! Once she is there, she begs to get out of the carrier. When I am alone in the waiting room, I let her, otherwise she stays in there!! Inside the office she is okey. She hates to get shots, and one thing is really impossible with her: get her temperature .

Maya: she is a dream!! You can see she is scared, but the vet can do anything she wants, Maya just sits there till it's all over
    I miss you enormously Sydney, Maya, Inka & Zazou Be happy there at the Rainbow Bridge

While Luna doesn't seem to mind car rides, Lily howls and screams.

At the vet's, Lily would continue screaming as long as she's in the waiting room. Once she's on the vet's table, she's quiet and usually let the vet do whatever is needed (except taking blood; she hates it!). Usually she's jumping down from the table and explores the new environment curiously.

Luna, on the other hand, is scared to death at the vet's. She's been through a lot, healthwise, so her experiences with white coats are different from Lily's. Luna starts trembling as soon as I take her out of her carrier, and it's not easy to examine her.

The funny thing is, when she's back in her carrier, she would paw at you and scratch you when you close the little door, just as if it's a stress relief for her, a way to get rid of her frustration and fear.

Kirsten

Thanks for sharing, everyone!

I'm always curious to see how similar our cat experiences are to those of others.

Kirsten, your Luna looks like our Leila.

Thanks to krazyaboutkatz for the cute avatar and wolf_Q for the cute siggy!

Rest in Peace, sweet Leo. You are sorely missed!
    Since I last posted, we have another new addition - Tabitha, as of fall 2008.

"There are two means of refuge from the misery of life -- music and cats."
    -- Albert Schweitzer --
    (Never has there been a more accurate statement!)

My gang of 3 doesnt like the ride up to the vets (approx 20 mins) once everyone is there it's ok with the 3 furry babies
    Owned by my 8 precious furry kids... My 3 daughters Cindy & Abby & Aly and 5 sons Skinny, Stephen, Carson, Fuzzmuzz and Franklin.
    Owned by two special canine sons Coco and Snoopy and two canine daughters, Sadie and Gretchen

Always in our hearts RBButterscotch & RBThumper, RB Ms. Eleanor

I have several who are quite vocal (notably Jim) but really, for the most part they are very good at the vet. Rutherford and Monte are especially comfortable there, making themselves at home on the table waiting for their pets.

Annie hates going to the vet, they can't never get her out of the kennel. I have to use my mom's kennel, the tops comes off and they can grab her by the scruff and then she's fine, but they don't dare try to stick their hands inside to get her.

As though,they were walking,the last mile,anda Giant cat Eating Monster,was waiting,behind,the door.Moose,and Michael,are the best,and JJJ3,loves the Vets,so much,that he meses himself,on the way,there.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

I'll put it this way--When we walk into the vet's office with Saphirah, my husband always tells them, "Demon cat's here!" She hisses, yowls, and scratches. She requires the full leather glove treatment. (Jayna, it's kind of funny because she is our Louisiana cat.)

The other two are very shy at the vet. The attitude is more like, "Do what you've got to do, then let me get back in my carrier as soon as possible!"

Mine are fine once we get there but Amy and Samantha howl the whole way. They are all so sweet to Amy down there that she lets then do whatever they want to her. There is awlays someone new there that they want to show Amy to and explaine her condition to and it is nothing for them to take her and go off with her, Akician has to hole her every time she goes in just to love on her.

Chester, well, Chester is Chester and he just goes with the plan, scared but lets them do what they have to do. He thinks getting in the kennel means he is going to Rie-Ries house and he just can't get there fast enough, he loves it at her house.

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

Pumpkin is going to the vet tomorrow to have her shots and a missing spot of hair looked at.. I dread it because she may be good while she's there, but when she gets home and I let her out of the carrier, she sulks, and I spend the next 2 days cleaning up pee from the furniture.