Thread: Children's Tylenol???!

Children's Tylenol???!

I had to work a full 12 hours today so I had a friend of mine come over in the afternoon and take Bud, Tash, and Docker out for a long, off-leash walk with his two (yeah, I don't know how he did it either!). When I got home and took them out, Buddy was limping quite badly and then later when a friend of mine stopped by, he went to run (barking) to the door and really yelped as he got up. I'm sure he just played too hard today (he's getting too old to keep up with them young whipper-snappers). What is safe to give him so that he is not in pain for the moment, I already know I will have to limit his exercise for the next couple of days and may end up at the Vet's if it doesn't get better quickly, but can I give him Children's Tylenol, or something like that, for the moment?
    Steve

Thanks Lexi_Lover

"Man is the only animal that blushes. Or needs to." -- Mark Twain

"Don't count the days. Make the days count." -- Muhammad Ali

Re: Children's Tylenol???!

Originally posted by schteve_d

... can I give him Children's Tylenol,
    or something like that, for the moment?

NO!! ~ NOT Tylenol!!

Use plain ole
    320 mg ASPIRIN

He's a link to a "Dog Aspirin" site >>>

Giving Yor Dog Aspirin

/s/ Phred
    /s/ Cinder, Smokey & Heidi

R.I.P. ~ Boots, Bowser, Sherman, & Snoopy

I don't think that's a good idea. I just saw an ad for a dog asprin. I think you can buy it at a pet store - not sure. Perhaps you should ask your vet. Good luck. Hope your dog feels better.

Autumn sprains her front left leg all the time. We have learned her exercise limit and she has mostly given up frisbee and doing jumps. Anyway, hopefully it is just a sprain from setting his foot down wrong and he will recover soon.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

Yep Phred's right. I was going to say aprin too.

We used to give it to our RB rottie when he first started getting arthritis. Really helped him alot.

I hope that Buddy is feeling better soon!

Huney, Bon & Simba-missed so very much
    Remembering all the Rainbow Bridge Pets

Just a side note, do not give the dogs Advil either. Both Tylenol and Advil are dangerous dogs and do damage to the liver and kidneys.

I'm a welsh born aussie living in the USA

No people pills.

As no-one is sure of side effects, allergies etc, don't give any people drugs to animals. Call a local vet and ask how much aspirin to give the dog, most 35 to 55 lb dogs only need 1/4 aspirin!
    I love my babies

pain drugs

Advil is slightly worse (kidneys) than Tylenol (liver). For cats Tylenol is deadly. One Tylenol will usual kill a cat. Most dogs can tolerate a couple days of Tylenol, but it's not recommended.

If you are going to give aspirin pre-treat with an acid blocker. For a large dog give 150 mg of Rantidine (Zantac) 2X daily, and for Med-small 74 mg 2X daily. For a tiny dog- ??? If possible start with the acid blocker 1 day before giving the aspirin. Aspirin has a high tendency to cause immediate stomach irritation, where the dog will start vomiting. Even buffered aspirin or Bufferin when given with food can make dogs nauseated.

These problems are why some Vet drugs in the Cox-2 inhibitor class came out. As discussed before the major trade names are: Rimadyl, Deramaxx, and Metacam. All can cause liver problems with Rimadyl being the worst. It also seems to relieve pain the most, and Vets prescribe it most often.

9. I just picked up Glucosamine at a nearby drug store for Tigger, I never gave her either of those!!! It was 11$ for a big jar of capsules that I put in a hot dog and she ate it. I know its for joints, but you never know

Re: pain drugs

Originally posted by dragondawg

... If you are going to give aspirin,
    pre-treat with an acid blocker.
    For a large dog give 150 mg of Rantidine (Zantac) 2X daily,
    and for Med-small 74 mg 2X daily.
    For a tiny dog- ???
    If possible start with the acid blocker 1 day before giving the aspirin. Aspirin has a high tendency to cause immediate stomach irritation, where the dog will start vomiting. Even buffered aspirin or Bufferin when given with food can make dogs nauseated.

These problems are why some Vet drugs in the Cox-2 inhibitor class came out...
    Hey DragonDawg ~

I'm a little curious ~
    What is the SOURCE of your information and advice?

I've had a number of Dogs over the years,
    treated by a total of 6 different Vet Clinics for various
    common pains and ailments... And Plain ole ASPIRIN has been the
    "pain drug of choice" for ALL of the Vets.

They have ALL said to <watch> for signs of an upset tummy;
    but none have suggested an "acid blocker" be given prior to the aspirin.

/s/ Phred
    /s/ Cinder, Smokey & Heidi

R.I.P. ~ Boots, Bowser, Sherman, & Snoopy

If you are going to use aspirin,
    use it for short term use and make sure it is Buffered.

----<---<--<{(@

Info sources?

Catch may can!

Aspirin inhibits primarly a class of enzymes called Cox-1, and to a lesser degree Cox-2. Both enzymes contribute to the production of Prostaglandins which are directly involved in inflamation. The catch is that the Cox-1 enzyme is also directly involved in the regulation of a specific Prostaglandin called Prostaglandin I2, which in turn regulates the mucus secretions that cover the stomach lining. Without the mucus covering, the stomach acid starts to irritate the lining of the stomach. Thus the mechanism by which Aspirin irritates and can cause stomach ulcers in both humans and dogs.

That is why the Cox-2 inhibitors such as Celebrex, and Vioxx came to the human market. The search was for an inhibitor of the Cox-2 enzyme specifically, leaving the Cox-1 uninhibited. The idea being of course of avoiding possible stomach irritation and possible ulcers. Subsequent work also showed the Cox-2 drugs effective in inhibiting polyp growth in the intestine. Both Pfizer and Merck were happy drug companies earning $billions selling Cox-2 inhibitors, until recently... With the findings that Vioxx can increase heart attacks in humans it has been pulled from the market by Merck. Celebrex is under scrutiny, and the lawyers are having a field day filing class action lawsuits.

The latest recommendations coming from the FDA is for people to use aspirin instead of Cox-2 inhibitors, and to include acid blockers to decrease the stomach acid lowering the possibility of ulcers. In particular the proton pump inhibitors such as Prilosec are recommended. This is nothing new, but more emphasis is being placed on it due to the Cox-2 scare. None the less this is the tie in information for my previous post.

Back to dogs...

First Prilosec is starting to be used in Veterinary medicine, although the hydrogen ion inhibitors such as Cimetidine and Randitine are most commonly used. Rantidine tends to be quicker acting (i.e. approx 4-6 hrs), while Cimetidine takes close to a day before it kicks in.

Second the effect of the Cox-2 inhibitors per cardiac problems is currently unknown in dogs.

Thirdly some dogs can take aspirin without problems if given with food. But for others the irritation to the stomach seems immediate and severe resulting in prompt vomiting after eating food with aspirin mixed in. Such was the case for one of my mom's dogs. Even Bufferin didn't help. But with acid blockers widely available OTC at least in the U.S., why chance an upset tummy for the puppy?

I've given my dogs both Cimetidine and Rantidine. My prior dog was a Lymphoma puppy, and she received Cimetidine whenever she was receiving a Chemo treatment. Between the Cimetidine and Metoclopromide she never had any GI upsets. For the Rantidine, that was given to my current male - Barney. Seems the Panacur deworming medication doesn't quite agree with his tummy. The Rantidine seemed to help prevent nausea, and allow him to complete the deworming treatment.

In general Cimetidine and Rantidine are benign drugs with a very low side effect profile. The use of acid blockers plus aspirin could be a viable alternative to Rimadyl, Duramaxx, and Metacam for long term usage to control pain. Discuss the alternatives with your Vet.

So how is Buddy doing now? I do hope the pain and limp have resolved themselves with or without medication.
    *Until one has loved an animal, a part of ones soul remains unawakened.* Anatole France