Thread: Discovery of Flawed Gene Holds Promise for Treating Kidney Disease in Cats and

If You Don't Talk To Your Cat About Catnip, Who Will?

Discovery of Flawed Gene Holds Promise for Treating Kidney Disease in Cats and

Discovery of Flawed Gene Holds Promise for Treating Kidney Disease in Cats and
    Humans

The genetic mutation that causes a common and often fatal kidney disease in
    cats, which parallels a human kidney disease, has been identified by
    researchers in the School of Veterinary Medicine at UC Davis.

The researchers, led by Assistant Professor Leslie, anticipate the discovery
    will lead to new therapies for polycystic kidney disease in both humans and
    cats, and will enable cat fanciers to gradually eliminate the defective gene
    from their breeding lines.

Polycystic kidney disease is the most prevalent inherited disease in cats. It
    affects about 6 percent of the cat population worldwide and about 38 percent
    of the Persian cat breed. As the disease develops, it causes fluid-filled
    cysts to form in the cat's kidney, often leading to kidney failure and death.

"Now, as soon as a kitten is born, we will be able to know with nearly 100
    percent accuracy whether the animal carries PKD," Lyons said. "Up until now,
    breeders had to wait nine months for an ultrasound examination that was 95
    percent accurate and too late for making decisions about whether to show or
    eventually breed the kitten."

She noted that knowing the genetic basis for feline polycystic kidney disease
    is likely also to have significance for human medicine. There is currently no
    exact animal model for developing drug and gene therapies for the human
    disease, which affects one in every 2,000 people in the world. The human form
    of polycystic kidney disease is the third leading cause of kidney failure and
    is more common than muscular dystrophy and cystic fibrosis combined.

Findings from the study appeared in the October issue of the Journal of the
    American Society of Nephrology. The research was funded by the Winn Feline
    Foundation, the Waltham Foundation, the George and Phyllis Miller Feline
    Health Fund, the Center for Companion Animal Health at UC Davis' School of
    Veterinary Medicine, and the National Institutes of Health.
    ~*~ "None left to rescue, none left to buy, none left to suffer, none left to die. None to be beaten, none to be kicked...all must be loved and all must be fixed".
    Author Unknown ~*~

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

~BRRR~ I'VE BEEN FROSTED!!!~ BRRR~

That's really neat! I think all this genetic stuff has the potential to radically change how medicine is practiced. And it will improve the sturdiness of cat breeds who have miswritten genes.
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb

If You Don't Talk To Your Cat About Catnip, Who Will?
    Originally posted by smokey the elder
    That's really neat! I think all this genetic stuff has the potential to radically change how medicine is practiced. And it will improve the sturdiness of cat breeds who have miswritten genes.
    I agree, but still wonder now, how many kittens will be done away with because of that faulty gene?
    ~*~ "None left to rescue, none left to buy, none left to suffer, none left to die. None to be beaten, none to be kicked...all must be loved and all must be fixed".
    Author Unknown ~*~

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

~BRRR~ I'VE BEEN FROSTED!!!~ BRRR~

Well, I don't think they'll be done away with. I think the breeder can spay/neuter the kittens as soon as possible. Also it's a heads up not to use that sire/dam pair again.
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb

What promising news for both cats and Human's , this is of particular interest to me as my Hubby has had Nephritis as a child, so his kidney's are damaged, but he is fine and should continue to be, but still it is alway's good to know there is maybe something on the horizon should his kidneys' fail him.
    Furangels only lent.
    RIP my gorgeous Sooti, taken from us far too young, we miss your beautiful face and purssonality,take care of Ash for us, love you xx000❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Ash,your pawprints are forever in my heart, love and miss you so much my big boy. ❤️❤️

RIP my sweet gorgeous girl Ellie-Mae, a little battler to the end, you will never ever be forgotten, your little soul is forever in my heart, my thoughts, my memories, my love for you will never die, Love you my darling little precious girl.❤️❤️

RIP our sweet Nikita taken suddenly ,way too soon ,you were a special girl we loved you so much ,miss you ❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Lexie, 15 years of unconditional love you gave us, we loved you so much, and miss you more than words can say.❤️❤️

RIP beautiful Evee Ray Skye ,my life will never be the same with out you ,I loved you so much, I will never forget you ,miss you my darling .❤️❤️