Thread: covering food

covering food

Hi,
    I have seen my cats do this in the past, and now my new cat, Pingwee, scratches at the throw rug that her food is on until her food is covered up. Any ideas about why they do this?? It doesnt hurt anything, and I just uncover it when she walks away, but i am still curious.
    April and Pingwee the food-coverer

Our kittens used to scratch the floor around the dish of canned food to "bury" it because they didn't like "chicken flavor", only tuna... it took a while for them to get used to it. Maybe your new kitty is used to a different food and is making a statement even though he is willing to eat it; or maybe he is trying to bury it for later; some animals make "caches" like that.

BoBo,the Meezer,does that,as she hates the Canned Food.And its iriitating,as she hides that food,from the Cats,that do like it.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

hi folks,
    yes i think Pingwee is doing it to save it for later, because she does like her food and always comes back to it throughout the day. thanx for the ideas!
    april and pingwee the rug pusher

off the topic- how does someone get their pet in the running for pet of the day on this site? ive got a sure winner with my 3 legged jack russell..

thats when they LOVE the food,Walker picks it up and takes off with the IAMS dry food and burys it under the placemats for the wet kitty food