Thread: how do I?

how do I?

how do I get a fat cat? I have two cats and then are both tiny

Don't strive for it - it may just happen!

We took in Bailey as a sickly little 1.5 lb 6-week-old stray in Oct 2002. Now, he's between 15 and 16 lbs and a very healthy nearly 2.5-year-old guy - long and lean - very musclely. However, we were told not to let him gain too much by our vet - fat cats can have all sorts of health problems, from diabetes to kidney and liver problems, etc. Not worth the pain it causes them and the extra money in vet bills, if you can help it.

However, when we adopted Leo, we knew he was a big guy with a gut that came from eating whatever he could as a stray before he was rescued (maybe someone owned him and left him behind after feeding him lots of food in his early years - we have no way of knowing). When we adopted him last spring, he was between 16 and 17 lbs, close to 17 - can't remember exactly. I guess he was so happy to be getting regular food and comfy sleep spots that in the first few months he lived with us, he shot up to 18 lbs, 12 oz (by Sept 2004)!! At the time, we were feeding Science Diet Sensitive Stomach (b/c of Bailey's history with stomach problems when he was a kitten) combined with Science Diet Hairball Control Light (b/c of Leila and Leo and hairball issues). Well, we weaned them off the Sensitive Stomach, b/c Bailey's fine now, and now just feed them the Hairball Control Light. It must've made a difference (plus, I think Leo runs and chases with the rest of them more now), b/c in Dec when we took him to the vet, he weighed 17 lbs 11 oz, which is much better! They say it takes several months for a cat to lose a single pound, and they're right. We knew we had to work on his weight so he could remain healthy and be with us a long time (he's only 2.5 after all).

Strive for strong, healthy cats, so they live longer, happier, healthier lives.

Thanks to krazyaboutkatz for the cute avatar and wolf_Q for the cute siggy!

Rest in Peace, sweet Leo. You are sorely missed!
    Since I last posted, we have another new addition - Tabitha, as of fall 2008.

"There are two means of refuge from the misery of life -- music and cats."
    -- Albert Schweitzer --
    (Never has there been a more accurate statement!)

Go to the store and buy a stuffed TOY cat!! Why you would wish your cat to become obese and unhealthy is beyond me.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Like the others said, you don't want a 'fat' cat because of potential health problems. If yours are tiny like, sickly and they need to gain weight, you could try feeding them kitten food which has more fat and protein.

Cats, like people, are going to have different body types. When I adopted mine, one was tall and lanky, and still is. The other is big and fluffy. If your cats are healthy now and are just built small, keep them that way. You can always adopt a big fluff ball later
    Shadow & Gus (the kitties), Blink (the gecko), Draco, Satine, Damon, & Outback (the fishies) ~I'll be there for you - 'cause you're there for me too~

Be at peace, Erin, I will miss you and remember your sweet face always...

In my situation, Mister was rescued by my husband. He is now 12, and still 10lbs. He's been 10lbs since he's reached adulthood if I may say. So I wouldn't push it - If you have a small cat, you have a small cat.

Thanks Lexi_Lover!

fat cat are so much sweeter then skiny cat( they bitchy) I know this lady and she has 32 lb's male cat. both of my cats have health prodlems my cat Lilly had a bladder inaffson and my other cat Sassy has alerjes

If they are too thin,use a Kitten Food,but as the other threads suggest,you dont want a Cat,that is too heavy.12,to 13 Pounds,is about right,for most Males,and 10 pounds,for a female.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

just make sure they have food out at all times,make sure you show them tons of affection and they will be what they are supposed to be carl is a fat 20 lbs although he is a ragamuffin and supposed to be like that,hank is thin but a is the tallest cat i ever seen and at a 21 lbs he is heavier then a chubby little carl,ms polly is no more 7 lbs you never see her eating lol she is my little girl and is my little cheerleader type of kitty if you know what i mean.if they remain skinny take to the white coats and if everything checks out then they are just skinny kitties,leave the food out... oh change the type of food too,net every cat food is liked by every cat,once i bought the cheapo purina no one would eat it matter of fact Walker the head of the kittys took the bowl it was in(big silver one)and flipped it and back kicked it across the floor i can home 1 day to cat food all over the kitchen floor and to top it off mr pisser pissed in front of the litter box after i seen the mess in the kitchen and didnt clean it up right away because i neded to take a shower.SO it could be the cat food too.

catmandu it depends on the breed too ragamuffins and maine coons are heavy kitties some breeds are supposed to be smaller too correct?