Thread: Betta fish advice...

Betta fish advice...

I have 2 betta fish, Emily and Elijah. They have 2 seperate bowls.
    I was wondering why they dont like the flake food, or the pellet food, or the crumble food? What other choices are there?
    And their bowls get so dirty so fast. I use only spring water, and within 2 days, their bowls are completely foggy and smelly. I have had many other Betta, and their bowls were clean for atleast a week, and they ate the normal betta flake with shrimp food. Any advice???

Thank you so much Michelle!

Please be responsible, spay and neuter your pets!

I've been BOO'd!!! Thanks Lori!

Bettas are very picky eaters. A majority don't like flake foods at all and will refuse to eat them.

Try getting some bloodworms. You can find them at Wal-Mart.

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

Maybe their water is getting cloudier faster because they are not eating their food?

Blood worms are a good one to try. Or what I reccomend is ask the pet store where you got them what they feed.
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

I bought them from Walmart about 4 months ago. What is the name brand of bloodworms, and what color is the bottle?
    I was thinking it was the food making their water cloudy, BUT I tried to limit what I put in their to just what they eat 2 times a day, and it still gets all icky looking/smelling. They are very pretty, and I would hate them to have to eat what they dont like. I have tried 4 different foods, including a specialty betta food from the pet supermarket, but they wont touch it either. They are going to starve if they keep refusing to eat...

I went to Wal mart and bought the bloodworms by Tetra, in a pink bottle. BUT my bettas wont touch it. Maybe in a few days they will like it better. I sure hope so, this is frustrating:P
    Also, it says on the bottle betta treats, is it safe to give it as meals twice a day?? Or do I need to try to get them to eat this plus the regular betta food???

Thank you all for the great advice

Originally posted by kt_luvs_kitties
    I went to Wal mart and bought the bloodworms by Tetra, in a pink bottle. BUT my bettas wont touch it. Maybe in a few days they will like it better. I sure hope so, this is frustrating:P
    Also, it says on the bottle betta treats, is it safe to give it as meals twice a day?? Or do I need to try to get them to eat this plus the regular betta food???
    All of mine go nuts for freeze dried bloodworms. They get it every day (once a day) and are absolutely fine. I think you should be okay using it as their staple diet. I've also heard great things about Hikari Betta Bio-Gold, but I have yet to try it out on my Bettas.

Kai [Sheltie], Kaedyn [Sheltie], Keeva [Malinois], Kwik [Malinois]

I feed Frank the Hikari Betta Bio-Gold & he loves it. he hates the flakes & the bloodworms but loves the Hikari pellets.
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

Jango loves his flakes and the little pieces of freeze dried shrimp especially.

He won't touch the bloodworms.

Good luck!
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

All of my bettas eat the Hikari food, and their water hardly ever gets cloudy - its one of the best foods. They do tend to be picky, and sometimes won't eat for a few days. But they will eat eventually. They can go for a while without eating (I think up to a week or more but don't quote me on that).

As far as the cloudy water, the uneaten food probably has something to do with it. But it depends on how big the bowls are. Yes, bettas can survive in the little pint-sized glass bowls, but at least a half gallon is best for them. All of mine are in one over a gallon. The smaller the bowl, the quicker it clouds and the more you have to clean it.
    Shadow & Gus (the kitties), Blink (the gecko), Draco, Satine, Damon, & Outback (the fishies) ~I'll be there for you - 'cause you're there for me too~

Be at peace, Erin, I will miss you and remember your sweet face always...

We purchased a Minibow 2.5 galleon tank for our betta. I wanted it to be big enough that our brat of a bengal cross kitten couldn't tip it over or push it off the dresser. Stick (the fish) really seems to like it. It has a filter in it also so we really only change the water about once a month. As for food we feed him one that is like pellets and says it is color enhancing. He seems to like it also.

Denyce

To stop your water going cloudy try scooping out the food that is left behind with a net as food that is not consumed cause's a chemical reaction with the water causing it to cloud. 9 out of 10 times this works. Good luck.

bunnyloveruk
    x

What's the water temperature like? Many bettas won't eat unless they're at a comfy temperature, and they sbould be warm.

Thank you Wolf_Q!

my brother has a betta and the lady at the store said that if you buy a certain bowl you have to clean it more often. Some bowls you have to clean once a week and some you have to clean twice or three times a week.

Slinky_Disney_KG
    ♥ Katie [human] Disney [dog- black lab] Slinky [guinea- unknown breed] Flash [betta] ♥

♥ Links to Some Good Animal Sites ♥
    (x) http://www.oginet.com/pgurney/
    (x) http://www.dogshealth.com/

♥ Still looking for someone to make me a siggy. Let me know if you can ♥

♥ Contact Me ♥
    (email) [email protected]
    (AIM) scaredycat1212
    (yahoo IM) [email protected]