Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Time to start looking for a new furfriend

Time to start looking for a new furfriend

Yup. It's finally time! Jake has been gone for 7 months now. We're getting settled out here on the farm. We've got the plans for our new kennel & doggie door. I do believe that it's time to start looking!

If I find the perfect match before the kennel is complete, then I will put out a cable run temporarily. Of COURSE the dog will live indoors.

So anyway - I'm going to take my time, find a good match for Max, me, and my son.

I'm looking for a small to medium adult dog. I absolutely adore mixed breeds. Short hair would be the easiest, but not necessary. Must be good with kids, dogs and cats. We like active, rugged outdoorsy dogs - no poodles or pekinese or anything with high-maintenance fur like that. Dogs that are great for camping and hiking, kayaking, etc. You know - JRTs, pitbulls - you get the picture. Spunk is the key word.

If there is anybody out there who knows of a dog in need of a home in the Northern Wisconsin or Upper Peninsula of Michigan area, let me know. We'll drive a few hours for the perfect match!

Otherwise I'll just keep haunting the pages of Petfinder and checking out the local humane shelters.

Thanks for the siggy, Lexi_Lover!

I hope you find the perfect companion for your family. May I suggest Goldens! They are very outdoors oriented and love everyone!

Oh you would love a pit or a pit mix. They have so much spunk and they sure dont shed much. I wish you the best in finding that perfect match. You are going to make some dog very happy!

Thank you Kay for the beautiful sig!

"We can judge the heart of man by his treatment of animals"

~Find the seed at the bottom of your heart and bring forth a flower~

best of luck finding that perfect companion
    ><> <>< ><> <>< ><> <>< ><> <><

<>< ><> <>< ><> <>< ><> <>< ><>

Faith is being able to jump first and grow wings later

When a waterbug leaves his friends and climbs the stalks, he is unable to return. But he gains a beautiful new body and a glorious perspective on a new world. He knows his friends will join him with their new bodies one day...one glorious day

Originally posted by Dixieland Dancer
    I hope you find the perfect companion for your family. May I suggest Goldens! They are very outdoors oriented and love everyone!
    A golden or golden mix would be a possibility. They generally are more mellow than they type of dog I'm looking for (I like dogs with attitude!) but individual dogs are different, even within the same breed!

Thanks for the siggy, Lexi_Lover!

I too think that a Pit sounds like a great match. I just have one word of caution about that though. I remember your neighbor is a jerk who threatened Max before. Do you think he's the ignorant type who stereotypes Pits and might not be very nice if the new dog ever happened to get to his property? I guess with the dog kennel, that likely won't happen though.
    Alyson
    Shiloh, Reece, Lolly, Skylar
    and fosters Snickers, Missy, Magic, Merlin, Maya

Good For you!!!

I can't wait!!!
    ~Angie, Sierra & Buddy
    **Don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die!**

I suffer from multiple Shepherd syndrome

that's wonderful! i hope you find the right dog.
    Owned by two little pastries!

REST IN PEACE GRACIE. NOT A DAY GOES BY THAT I DON'T MISS YOU.

sounds like time to check out pet finder.

HAve you tried Golden Rescue?

Golden Retreiver Rescue of Wis (GRROW) is a great organization and they have lots of wonderful dogs. I have worked with them, and they will work with YOU to find a 'match' for your household.

http://www.grrow.org

I wouldn't write off ALL goldens as being too 'mellow' - esp if you look at a golden mix. They also adore being outdoors and they love water.

Take a look at the sweet and spunky boy we just lost -
    Tristan -

http://groups.msn.com/TristansPlace/pictures

We adopted Tristan from Rescue here in Illinois - and he was a golden/ chesapeake bay retreiver mix. I have also seen many other golden mixes - generally they seem to retain that wonderful easy, outgoing temperment of the golden, while pulling the better traits of other breeds.

Tristan was a great ambassadoor for rescue - as he charmed everyone he ever met. He wasn't formally trained, but we could take him anywhere, under any conditions, and he just took it all in stride. He was the mascot of our boy scout troop, and often went with us camping, canoeing, swimming, to fund raisers, parades - you name it, he went.

Sadly, Tristan had Lymphoma, and he died a month ago. there will never be another one just like Tristan - but I see his 'attitude' in alot of Goldens, chessies, and labs.

Pits ARE a nice breed - and individually, they are loving, charming and loyal. however, alot of people are (unreasonably) fearful of them, and if you are going to be taking the dog with you lots of places, it is a consideration.

whatever you choose, good luck in your search - I'm sure some lucky dog will find you!

laura

Thanks, Amanda, for the wonderful siggy and avatar!

Dogs are our link to paradise. They don't know evil or jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring - it was peace.
    - Milan Kundera

Catahoooula....
    I've been BOO'd!

hi stacwase!

You might want to take a look at Australian Cattle Dogs. They're a medium sized dog with short hair. Lots of attitude and major smarts to go with it.

Par...

.................................................. .................................................. ..... Nothin' Butt Dogs............ Free Dog eCards

Originally posted by ParNone
    hi stacwase!

You might want to take a look at Australian Cattle Dogs. They're a medium sized dog with short hair. Lots of attitude and major smarts to go with it.

Par...
    I definitely agree! an ACD or a ACD mix sounds like it'd fit in really well! They are the best farm doggies, good with kids and other dogs, and have tons of attitude and spunk. Pitties would be perfect too! There are tons of both of these breeds in shelters. good luck! whoever you choose will be such a lucky pup

<3 Erica, Fozz n' Gonz

I was browsing around Petfinder and look who I saw

http://www.petfinder.com/pet.cgi?act...=0&tmpl=&stat=

She's a Pit mix (they think with Jack Russell). How cute is she?
    Alyson
    Shiloh, Reece, Lolly, Skylar
    and fosters Snickers, Missy, Magic, Merlin, Maya

OMGosh Aly, she's adorable! Good luck with finding your new family member stacwase
    Mom to Raven and Rudy the greyhound

Missing always: Tasha & Tommy, at the Rainbow Bridge