Thread: *A question for all you horse-back riders*

*A question for all you horse-back riders*

Okay, I have been horse-back riding since I was 11 years old. I have rode both English and Western . What I want to know is jumping complicated? I know you can't learn it over night but it looks like so much fun! I just need your guys advice if their is complications with it. Thanks in advance
    Krista- owned by Rudy, Dixie, Miagi & Angel

Rocky, Jenny, Ginger Buster & Tiger .. forever loved & always in my heart..

I experimented with it ages ago and it didn't seem to be too difficult. However, if you're talking about competing and things like that, I have no idea. I know it is a lot of fun! Get an English saddle, though. It's hard to do jumps in a Western. For a while, I was jumping those big blue barrels. Was great fun!

9/3/13
    I did the right thing by setting you free
    But the pain is very deep.
    If only I could turn back time, forever, you I'd keep.
    I miss you

I hear you whimper in your sleep
    I gently pet you and say, no bad dreams
    It will be alright, to my dog as dark as night.

Fur as dark as the night.
    Join me on this flight.
    Paws of love that follow me.
    In my heart you'll forever be.
    [/SIZE]

How I wish I could hold you near.
    Turn back time to make it so.
    Hug you close and never let go.
    11/12/06

thanks I know it would be hard with a western lol English is my favorite style of riding hehe

thanks I will have to try it this summer oops double post

Jumping is not all that complicated, like Dukedogsmom stated- if you are looking to compete then it's a whole different ballgame. If you just want to get some poles and make some simple oxers for lessons to improve your skill it is easy to learn. Anything dealing with horses can't be learned overnight, it will take some time, just like you mentioned. Go to a book store, tack store, or library and see what books you can find on jumping to learn more about it- or search around on the internet. There are TONS of good books on jumping that will get you started in the right direction. I also watch my friend Laura during her jumping lessons, she is an extremely good jumper and her horse is amazing- I have learned a lot just from watching those two in the ring and talking to Laura first hand. I hope to start jumping lessons this summer with Laura as my instructor. Maybe you could find someone who is a good jumper and watch them and learn through observation!?! I have jumped Western too and the first thing I learned is the horn hurts.......thank goodness I've avoided the horn ever since!!
    LAURA {Human}, FRANNY {Boxer}, PEANUT, BUSTER, & NIBBLES {Rabbits}

Thanks Roxyluvsme13!

"The wind of heaven is that which blows between a horses' ears"- Arabian Proverb

I do go horse-back riding every summer and I am sure the lady who instructs will give lessons. I will look into those books, too. Thank you both for the great advice it is much appreciated

Jumping is lots of fun. As you stated, though, it's not something you learn overnight! I've been riding, what, 9 years? and about 7 of those years have been jumping. I've finally worked myself up to 3'9" and still pushing. Umm, yeah, and don't try to jump western... it really hurts. But good luck, you'll be happy that you decided to do it!

8. I'm starting my lessons in May I can't wait! It will be my first time riding english, and I will be riding a chest thoroughbred named Desi!

Devon, don't you own a pony/horse?

Originally posted by Lexi_Lover
    I'm starting my lessons in May I can't wait! It will be my first time riding english, and I will be riding a chest thoroughbred named Desi!

Devon, don't you own a pony/horse?
    yep, he's a white welsh pony. His name's "It Must Be Magic" or "Merlin" for short.

please excuse my "swingy" leg, this picture was taken quite a while ago. I've got it under control now.
    l
    l
    V
    Attached Images Attached Images  

10. Hes very handsome! Wish I could have a horse!

I am really bad at jumping. I have been jumping for about 2 yrs now and I'm still at 1 foot! I used to shareboard on a SEATTLE SLEW grandson (ex-racer who absolutley HATED racing but loved jumping and being a pet.) untill a change of barns (the whole family owned business re-located) I couldn't ride as often, other new and *scary* people rode him, etc. everything changed. The owners decided to sell him off to Iowa due to "saftey reasons" (he started to buck and rear and bolt and bite and kick a lot more than usual)
    here is a picture of him.

His jockey reg. name is "I'm A Player" He was born in KY on May 6, 1999, and he is seal brown. His Sire is Fast Play(stud fee $5000, sone of the Seattle Slew) Dam: Leading Ballerina (by Moscow Ballet) Quite a royal pedegree there! and to think, my stable got him for free!

Niņo & Eliza

Devon,

You look like you're really good.

Paula,

I wish I could have a horse, too. Hopefully someday.

I've been riding western for about a year now...and I really enjoy it!! I'm going to start english this spring, so I'm anxious for that!! (and learn how to jump in the future) So I couldn't give you much advice on that, though horses are definitely my thing, and jumping sounds SO fun!!

Devon--you look like a pro!! We NEED more pics of you and Merlin, PLLLLEEAAAZZZZ!!!!!! (sorry to exaggerate) I'd absolutely LOVE to see some recent jumping pics of you and Merlin, or just Merlin in general! You guys make such a good team!!

Thanks Kay!!

~It's not who you are underneath, but what you do that defines you~ -Batman Begins

14. Originally posted by Buddy Blaze Lover
    Devon--you look like a pro!! We NEED more pics of you and Merlin, PLLLLEEAAAZZZZ!!!!!! (sorry to exaggerate) I'd absolutely LOVE to see some recent jumping pics of you and Merlin, or just Merlin in general! You guys make such a good team!!
    Ditto!

Originally posted by Buddy Blaze Lover
    I actually just took some today! *goes off to post them in general*