Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: God bless you?

God bless you?

OK I have a question to ask. The other day I was at work at the Animal Hospital and I was in the back in the dog kennel and one of the dogs sneezed. And I said "God bless you" the I relized that I say that to my dogs also when they sneeze.

I wanted to now if you guys also do this or if I am just going crazy

Felice, Zeus, Hercules

I say "bless you" to any of my pets if they sneeze. I guess its just a habit.
    Scott is owned by 5 cats: Jackson, Fluffy, Twidgit, Ashton, Lexi;
    and 3 dogs: Eli, Sassee, Ginger

Fuzzy317's Pictures

Originally posted by ownerof3dogs:
    I wanted to now if you guys also do this or if I am just going crazy
    You are going crazy. And we are going with you! Good thing we can take our pets along too!
    "Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Yep, I do it too! So does my best friend. Our other friends always make fun of us for it... but why shouldn't we say "Bless them" when they sneeze? They're sweet living things too and deserve to be blessed just as much as we do!

Hehe, I say it to my animals and the shelter animals too. Or if they cough, I always say "Are you okay, (insert nick name here)?". People in the pet store seem to get a nice laugh out of it, but it is perfectly normal behavior in the shelter and at home
    Alyson
    Shiloh, Reece, Lolly, Skylar
    and fosters Snickers, Missy, Magic, Merlin, Maya

That sounds familiar! My Prema must be going mad with me though, since she is a true blabber mouth and she always answers me back

Something funny happened today after I had replied to this post. I was outside with the dogs and met one of my new neighbors. Lolly sneezed and she said "bless you" to Lolly. I think we're going to get along great
    Alyson
    Shiloh, Reece, Lolly, Skylar
    and fosters Snickers, Missy, Magic, Merlin, Maya

LOL

I knew I loved you guys!

YES I say "God Bless You!"
    YES I say "Are you okay?"
    YES others think I'm NUTS!

The reason why we say "God bless you" to people and animals goes all the way back to the Middle Ages! People back then believed that when you sneezed, your soul left your body. Remember, there wasn't much medical knowledge around at that time, and being as how a sneeze is somewhat of a violent body action, it's understandable that folks believed it wasn't a good thing. Saying "God bless you" was a way to ensure that the soul returned to the sneezer's body. I always say "Gesundheit" when something or someone sneezes because it's German for "health to you". For me, sneeezing means you've got dust or pepper up your nose or you're catching cold or have allergies.
    Just a bit of trivia for everyone to think about.

I'm Guilty! Dogs, cats, Helen....doesn't matter, I constantly say "God Bless You" when they sneeze! And when Lilly lets out a really big BURP ,which she often does, I make sure to say "Excuse you".

I talk to my pets all the time and also say "God Bless You" when they sneeze! I personally think they like to hear something from us, just to make them feel better! With some of the conversations I have with them, I don't worry about other people thinking I'm nuts, I think I'm Nuts!!!!! But who cares???? Certainly not my dogs!!!

Oh Absolutely!! "God Bless You Sweetie" esp; after grass sniffing, "OOO Piggy!" after a burp. But the funniest of all was when Iwas teaching Cody to heel in puppygarden class. He walked in front of me, I stepped on his little heel, said "excuse me pups" and the teacher went ballistic that I had the audacity to apologize to my dog, but I tried to explain that I even say "excuse me" when I bump into chairs1 Aren't we all so mannerly????

Saying "excuse me" to chairs!! Karen you have me laughing out loud!

Well, in our house, it's more like "bwess shu" but I think the sentiment is the same!

Yep, I do it too but sadly I have even given it a second thought! What does that tell you! I am just a complete nut but in good company I guess !

Oh, and 4 feline is right - in my house it's alwasy "bweshu"!! That cracked me up! I can't believe (although I should know by now) that I am not alone in this!