View Poll Results: Do you think we should breed new breeds, or 2 dogs of a different breed together?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

3 13.04%
  • no

18 78.26%
  • other (please post)

2 8.70%

Thread: OMG actual statement from a "doodle" breeder

OMG actual statement from a "doodle" breeder

Q: When can I get my puppy spayed or neutered?
    A: Never before 6mo. Fixing your dog does away with vital hormones which they need to grow and develope. Without these hormones your puppy will not develope the bone mass and muscle mass it needs to be healthy. Spaying or neutering should never be done before 6mo of age because of this, and if it is done earlier than that date, it will nullify my health warrantee.

Q: Can I come to your house to see the puppies?
    A: I am well aware that all those books out there say you should always be allowed to visit with the puppy and with the parents. I honestly believe those books were written by people who have never raised a dog, or at least never raised one in their home.

This Person is ONLY selling puppies! And for quite a bit for mutts.

What do you think about it?

Niņo & Eliza

Blog Entries
    I guess I started all this with my question about the Labapoodle. I feel that if this cross is to accomplish something good & it is to help handicapped people there is good here. As humans we are given the responsiblilty to care for God's creatures & the freedoms to make decisions right or wrong. I think there is always the politics of life to deal with. Some people don't care & breed dogs to make money & some are careless & don't care what happens to any kind of animal. Then there are those that care & end up having to carry the burdens of irresponsible humans & having to deal with the fate of God's Creatures. There is the good, bad, & ugly to deal with in all things. The good Lord put us here to care & love for each other & all things the good Lord has created.

Re: OMG actual statement from a "doodle" breeder

Originally posted by Suki Wingy
    Q: When can I get my puppy spayed or neutered?
    A: Never before 6mo. Fixing your dog does away with vital hormones which they need to grow and develope. Without these hormones your puppy will not develope the bone mass and muscle mass it needs to be healthy. Spaying or neutering should never be done before 6mo of age because of this, and if it is done earlier than that date, it will nullify my health warrantee.
    I have to disagree with that comment above. You can get your dog spayed/neutered as young as 8-12 weeks. It's called pediatric spay/neuter. Pets live a longer, healthier, and happier life when they're fixed and the sooner done, the better. A pet that isn't fixed is prone to have plenty of health problems so it's much better to get your pets spayed/neutered. Just one litter can make the pet overpopulation even worse as it is.

As far as Doodles go...this is NOT a purebred dog. If you breed two Labradoodles together...that's no longer a Labradoodle because a Labradoodle consist of ONE purebred Labrador and ONE purebred Poodle. People are just so ignorant and think they're doing the world good.

If you want a "Labradoodle" or any other kind of animal, you can find plenty in need of homes in animal shelters/rescues near you up for adoption. Who cares about papers when you just want a pet for you and your family? Exactly what kind of papers will you get from a breeder who breeds Doodles and all these other "designer" breeds? Thats the whole point, they're mixed and don't have papers. If you want papers, adopt and you'll get adoption papers.

Doodles are a "designer" breed and will never be a recognized breed. That's just how it is, no matter what you say and people just need to realize it. BYBs breed them and tell you all these things just to rip you off. There's already enough breeds in this world and we don't need to add to anymore.
    Last edited by MaryJae; 02-09-2005 at 11:07 AM.

that breeder is definatly hiding something! i would call animal control to go see this place.

i voted no because i think there are way to many dogs being put to sleep in shelters everyday! why make another breed? out of all the almost 200 breeds if you can't find a breed for you then you don't need a dog.
    Owned by two little pastries!

REST IN PEACE GRACIE. NOT A DAY GOES BY THAT I DON'T MISS YOU.

Blog Entries
    Food for thought, where did all the other 400 registered breeds come from? I own a blue heeler it was just recognized by the AKC in 1983. The result of this breed comes from the blue merle Highland Collies from Scotland, Dingo-blue merle Collie Crosses, the Dalmatiian, & lastly the Black & Tan Kelpie. This dog was bred up for herding cattle. Here are the two ads in our Sunday paper. Golden Doodles OFA, beautiful, vet & family raised $600. The other ad Labadoodles, yellow, $100, vet work done. Now a Veterinary sounds like he/she is responsible for this. Shouldn't they know better?

Originally posted by Bonny
    Food for thought, where did all the other 400 registered breeds come from? I own a blue heeler it was just recognized by the AKC in 1983. The result of this breed comes from the blue merle Highland Collies from Scotland, Dingo-blue merle Collie Crosses, the Dalmatiian, & lastly the Black & Tan Kelpie. This dog was bred up for herding cattle. Here are the two ads in our Sunday paper. Golden Doodles OFA, beautiful, vet & family raised $600. The other ad Labadoodles, yellow, $100, vet work done. Now a Veterinary sounds like he/she is responsible for this. Shouldn't they know better?
    A true responsible/reputable breeder doesn't advertise online or in newspapers. They don't need to advertise anywhere because breeding is not a business for them and there's a long waiting list for all their animals.

sure they do, word of mouth is good, but you gotta get the word out in the first place somehow. there several VERY reputable breeders who advertise online, the newspaper is a different story altogther though.
    Shayna
    Mom to:
    Misty-10 year old BC Happy-12 year old BC Electra-6 year old Toller Rusty- 9 year old JRT X Gem and Gypsy- 10 month ACD X's Toivo-8 year old pearl 'Tiel Marley- 3 year old whiteface Cinnamon pearl 'Tiel Jenny- the rescue bunny Peepers the Dwarf Hotot Miami- T. Marcianus

"sister" to:

Perky-13 year old mix Ripley-11 year old mix

and the Prairie Clan Gerbils

Originally posted by cali
    sure they do, word of mouth is good, but you gotta get the word out in the first place somehow. there several VERY reputable breeders who advertise online, the newspaper is a different story altogther though.
    They may advertise (show pics of their dogs, titles, pedigrees, etc.) but they will not sell over the internet. I'm sure that's what you meant, but I wanted to make that clear. The waiting list is long, and buyers are preapproved before any litter is bred. No responsible breeder would advertise a litter for sale - the puppies should already have been accounted for.

This chart really says it all -
    http://www.geocities.com/Petsburgh/Fair/1901/chart.html

There was reputable breeders way before the internet, so a knowledgeable, reputable breeder will be able to sell their puppies without advertising. Like Mary Jae said, "word of mouth". Their puppies are sold before they are bred so advertising isn't necessary. Big flashy adds means, big BYB.
    Love is Adoptable. Adopt a Pit Bull.

Don't Breed or Buy While Shelter Animals Die.

If Pit Bulls are outlawed, only outlaws will have Pit Bulls.

They may advertise (show pics of their dogs, titles, pedigrees, etc.) but they will not sell over the internet. I'm sure that's what you meant, but I wanted to make that clear
    just going to say that yes that is what I meant lol
    Shayna
    Mom to:
    Misty-10 year old BC Happy-12 year old BC Electra-6 year old Toller Rusty- 9 year old JRT X Gem and Gypsy- 10 month ACD X's Toivo-8 year old pearl 'Tiel Marley- 3 year old whiteface Cinnamon pearl 'Tiel Jenny- the rescue bunny Peepers the Dwarf Hotot Miami- T. Marcianus

"sister" to:

Originally posted by Bonny
    Yes, the AKC only recognises the really popular breeds. I think the breeding of new breeds was fine when there weren't many breeds, but now that we esentially have 400+ breeding true, we should stop, don't you think?

Niņo & Eliza

There are almost 2000 breeds worlwide. We don't need any more. Breeding a new breed requires alot of litters in order to get what you want and alot of linebreeding to keep it that way; which also requires alot of litters. We have enough dogs -- we should stick to the breeds we have.
    I've been BOO'd!

The only valid point I see in creating a new breed is to fill a niche not already covered by ANY other dog breed.

Example- The Labrador Retriever/Poodle mix is needless. Anyone up for Portugese Water Dog or Curly Coated Retriever?

Another example- Silken Windhound. First off, I want to sing HALLELUJAH! No silly names! On to business, the Silken Windhound is a meticulous mix of Longhaird Whippets and Borzoi added in for head shape and movement. Through careful planned breedings and record keeping, the Silken more or less breeds true. Young Silken pups grow into dogs which conform to the Silken standard (yes, there is a standard!) and most importantly, look like a Silken is supposed to. Now, what niche do they cover, you may ask? If you think about it, there is no sighthound in the world that is relatively small and longer haired. Whippets and Greyhounds are both short haired and excruciatingly thin skinned. Borzois are very large and Afghans have a coat that needs extensive grooming. There is a very large gap, and Silkens certainly fill in the niche. Their coat provides protection for the thin skin and they're a perfect size, approximately 17-21 inches (I don't remember the exact measurements). Plus, they *do* breed true and they recently closed the studbooks in an attempt to get recognized by the AKC (and other reputable registries).

Also, many many reputable breeders are now advertising in magazines and on the Internet. They do this not because they need to get rid of puppies fast. They do it because they realize that the majority of puppy buyers look on the Internet and dog magazines first. Unfortunately, the 'net and various dog magazines are riddled with unscrupulous breeders preying on innocent buyers. Therefore, reputable breeders are now placing ads on the 'net and in mags in hopes of guiding the prospective puppy buyer in the right direction. Just my two cents.

Your all right in having to wait to get a puppy. We actually met with our breeders at there home 3 times before we actually picked Flute up.
    I actually scored an extra visit as there home was right near my work, and when the pups were born he came in and asked if I wanted to pop over for a look.
    And it's true through conversation they were sussing us out as much as we were sussing them.
    I first made contact through the state schnauzer club, via e-mail, and we were then invited over. So the internet does have it's uses for reputable breeders.

Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our life whole

lol when I got Misty I went out there once to see them, then went out there again to pick her up, but I could not go more then that lol I got Misty from a farm several hours away. Happy on the other hand I got her the same day we first talked to the breeder lol most of the pups had homes already but I know with Happy anyway I know the lady who was going to get her, but her husband decided to say no.
    Shayna
    Mom to:

"sister" to: