Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Really Urgent Need!

A Really Urgent Need!

I am posting this here rather than in Cat Rescue because more people read the posts here. If anyone can help or suggest anything else it would be appreciated. Thanks!

Denyce

An abandoned house was discovered with up to 100 house cats! This is a tragedy that someone left behind for our community. The CENTRE COUNTY SPCA is involved, but does not have the capacity to serve all cats - most of these animals will go to their deaths. Sad, sad, sad.

Shirley Fonda, Donna Herrmann, and Pat Steigerwald, our local community heroines in animal rescue, managed to negotiate time with the SPCA and have begun a rescue operation of their own. Shirley is reporting that such cats are not feral or wild. They are beautiful, friendly, and mostly young house cats. Shirley wrote to me, "As we drove up, cats came from all over to be fed and hopefully petted. They were BEAUTIFUL cats, probably mostly young ones. In the basement, about 50 young cats sat at the three windows, pawing for us to come and get them". Apparently cats poured out of this house when they realized that someone was coming to help! Shirley reported to me that most of the kitties had desperation in their eyes. Garages have been set up with cage after cage, in hopes of rescuing as many as they can.

Please understand that our local animal welfare organizations do what they can and despite your wonderful donations, they remain limited in resources. Thank goodness for Shirley Fonda (and friends), a community heroin devoted to the rescue and education of animal welfare. She cannot do this alone and needs help.

HOW THE COMMUNITY CAN HELP (you can do ANY of the following)
    1. Donate money (for vet care).
    2. Donate dry food and clumping litter.
    3. Donate your time to helping trap the cats.
    4. Provide some foster care relief to this effort
    5. Adopt.
    6. Pass this message on.

CALL SHIRLEY FONDA AT (814) 238-4758

From the cat's hearts to yours, thank you for caring! I will update this story.....

Where is this?

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

Shes in Pa. so I would assume its close to her.

Who was feeding the cats if they were friendly? Someone must be held responsible. At least the cats are not feral. Part of my brain says "Of course they're young - who knows what sicknesses have gone through that population, any older cats probably wouldn't have survived!"

Very sad.

It is in Centre County PA. I live in State College so the house is in our area. I don't know the exact address. From what I understand the house was reposessed by the bank. The owners were evicted and when they(bank officials) went into the home these cats were found. The local SPCA is trying to be of some assistance but if you understood the mentality of our SPCA you would be frightened. Besides they just closed down a puppy mill being run by an Amish farmer and took in about 100 dogs. They had to destroy 15 dogs already at the shelter in order to make room for these. That is not the first time that has happened either. So it is left up to just a few extremely overwhelmed individuals here in Centre Co. to take care of all these cats.

This is also coming on the heels of a feral colony having to be removed from a resort here called Toftrees. These same people are dealing with trying to find homes for these ferals they have been taking care of for almost 10 years. It has been a stable colony but the new management of the resort wants them gone. He was going to shoot them but we managed to bring it to the publics attention so he had to go on TV and say he didn't intend on shooting the cats. The cat rescue people here are just really overwhelmed right now and really need help. But then isn't that the case almost everywhere?

Denyce

I have a couple of questions. I went to the Centre County SPCA and there was no mention of anything like this on their website, so I am assuming it has not been updated or they are not publicizing it.

Do the cat rescue people have an organization or are they individuals doing this on their own? If they are doing this on their own can an account be set up a the vet they use and then money can be sent directly to the vet and directed to the care of these cats?

This particular situation is being dealt with by an individual. She is a woman that has been doing wildlife and cat rescue here in Centre Co for many years. I just phoned and we are going to try and set up something with a vet as soon as possible. I think she uses several vets here in the area.

Ok I am on the phone now and an organization called PAWS here is helping with this situation. They are helping to set up cages in some people's garages as a temporary situation.

The website for PAWS is centrecountypaws.org. Right now they don't have anything on this situation on their website because they just happened. Their physical location is

Centre County PAWS
    1042 Benner Pike
    State College PA 16803

If you decide to donate for this you MUST specify that it is for the 100 abandoned cats in repossessd house. Otherwise it will go into the regular funds.

Thanks so much

Denyce

Try PMing Davidp. He works with a cat rescue organization outside of Pittsburgh. Maybe they can help???

I wish I lived closer. I'd be able to at least foster a couple till they found homes.

What a sad situation.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Originally posted by moosmom
    Try PMing Davidp. He works with a cat rescue organization outside of Pittsburgh. Maybe they can help???

I wish I lived closer. I'd be able to at least foster a couple till they found homes.

What a sad situation.
    Denyce, I'll be volunteering with Cat Sense And I'll tell them about the situation. Between now and then I think that they will know about it. I also wish I were a little closer so that I could help out more!

I don't know if this will help or not but here is a list of rescue in PA

Pennsylvania
    Adopt-A-Pet
    P.O. Box 91
    Irwin, PA 15642
    Phone: (412) 863 0526
    Email: [email protected]

Animal Aid Adoptions
    Phone: 503-643-8322

Animals in Distress
    (No Kill Shelter)
    10 Fashion Drive
    Allentown, PA 18103
    (610) 264-5554
    Mailing Address:
    P.O. Box 168
    Catasauqua, PA 18032

Animal Angels
    (No Kill Shelter)
    P.O. Box 387
    Connellsville, PA 15425

Animal Full Life Rescue, Inc.
    908 Ramsey Street
    Pittsburg, PA 15221
    Phone: (412) 371 7446

Animal Rescue League of Western Pennsylvania
    6620 Hamilton Avenue
    Pittsburg, PA 15206-4188
    Phone: (412) 661 6452

Animal Rescue, INC
    Phone: (717) 993-3232

Animal Rescue & Referral
    3112 Benjamin Rush Court
    Bensalem, PA 19020
    Phone: (215) 752 755

Animal Full Life Rescue, Inc.
    Pittsburgh, PA

Because You Care
    Box 54
    Mc Kean, PA 16426
    Phone: (814) 866-5039

Cat Rescue
    1611 Valley Brooke Court
    Wexford, PA 15090-7827

Cats in Need
    405 Virginia Avenue
    Butler, PA 16001
    Phone: (412) 282 0714

CPR for Cats Society
    (No Kill Shelter)
    3150 W. Ridge Pike
    Eagleville, PA 19403-1410
    Phone: (570) 539 8001
    Fax: (570) 539 8002

Good Mews
    (No Kill Shelter - Cats)
    P.O. Box 376
    Trexlertown, PA 18087-0376
    Phone: (610) 791 0134

Meow House
    RR 5, Box 170
    Williamsport, PA 17701-9661
    Phone: (570) 494 0550

Morris Animal Refuge
    1242 Lombard Street
    PHILADELPHIA, PA 19147-1118
    Phone: (215) 735 3256/9570
    Fax: (215) 735 6398

Pet Adoption League
    (No Kill Shelter)
    RD #1 Box 122
    Yukon, PA 15698-9801
    Phone: (724) 722 3670

PAWSFREE Rescue (Pennsylvania)
    PO Box 108
    Wexford, PA 15090
    Phone/Fax: (724) 774-3764

Seven Valleys Area Rescue
    348 Mill St.
    Seven Valleys, Pa. 17360
    Phone: 717-428-0684

Stray Cat Blues
    P.O. Box 106
    Sumneytown, PA 18084
    Phone: (215) 234 8284

Valley Cat Rescue
    (No Kill Shelter - Cats Only)
    388 North River Street
    Wilkes-Barre, PA 18703-0242
    Phone: (570) 824 4172
    Fax: (570) 824 5458

one thing that might help is if you get the local news station to do a story on the cats needing help. There are always people that want to help with abandoned animals.
    Doo=^..^=

If You Don't Talk To Your Cat About Catnip, Who Will?
    Originally posted by doolittleky
    one thing that might help is if you get the local news station to do a story on the cats needing help. There are always people that want to help with abandoned animals.
    Doo=^..^=
    That's a great idea, as it seems 'famous' animals have a long line of people wanting to adopt them. Are there a few different news stations local to you that can be contacted? You may want to branch out as well, and contact shelters not just in the vicinity, but in other states even. Enlisting volunteer drivers is the tough part though. Keep up posted. The sooner the cats are put up for adoption, the better with the baby boom of Spring coming.
    ~*~ "None left to rescue, none left to buy, none left to suffer, none left to die. None to be beaten, none to be kicked...all must be loved and all must be fixed".
    Author Unknown ~*~

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

~BRRR~ I'VE BEEN FROSTED!!!~ BRRR~

We have a home,likethat,in Hamilton,and that is awful,when people,try,to rescue More Cats,than they can actually help,and the Cats All Suffer.I have volunteered the Found Cat Hotel,for Foster,until they can be Rehomed.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

I just heard about this today, and I would like to help if you need it. I cannot take any cats (I wish I had a heated garage, then maybe I could take a couple as fosters). Please let me know who the vet or vets are who will be helping these kitties out. I would like to make a donation for that, and also let me know if any of these wonderful rescuers need any supplies--unfortunately that is probably all I can do right now.
    The animal situation here is disgusting right now. First the ferals in Toftrees, that Mr. S wanted to destroy because they would disrupt the "image" of his perfect resort, then the byb shutting down and the SPCA taking the dogs and now this.......

About the Centre County SPCA website--it hasn't been updated in a long time--the pictures of dogs and cats on there have been there for at least 6 months, and I don't think they update anything else much either.
    Emily, Kito, Abbey, Riley, and Jada

I know they are all deserving cats, and I pray that they all are rescued, but

Are there any Siamese in the group?

Virginia Siamese Rescue may be able to help with them.

PA is a little north for the VA center, but there is a network of transporters available.

siameserescue.org

VA center

Siri, director