Thread: Student Who Cooked Pets Won't Face Charges

If You Don't Talk To Your Cat About Catnip, Who Will?

Student Who Cooked Pets Won't Face Charges

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansas...0761751.htm?1c

Posted on Fri, Jan. 28, 2005

Student Who Cooked Pets Won't Face Charges

Associated Press

THOMPSON, Ohio - Police and humane society officials decided not to file charges against a 16-year-old student who skinned and cooked a Guinea pig and a rabbit during a living skills class.

They said Thursday it would have been hard to prove the killings were unnecessary because students did eat some of the meat, and investigators didn't find evidence the animals suffered needlessly.

Authorities said the student killed the rabbit with a bow-and-arrow and used a knife to kill the Guinea pig at home before cooking them in class at Ledgemont High School on Jan. 19.

"From a standpoint of being able to prosecute, we could not find evidence to pursue a cruelty charge," said Sharon Harvey, executive director of the Geauga Humane Society. "Do we disapprove of what happened? Absolutely. But, sadly, what happened is not illegal."

Beto Gage, principal of the school about 35 miles northeast of Cleveland, said living skills teacher, Diana Stevens, lets students prepare meals once a quarter.

The student had asked Stevens if he could catch and cook a wild rabbit and she approved, provided he gut the carcass before class, Gage said.

Students who didn't want to watch were allowed to leave the room.

The boy, whose name hasn't been released, bought the animals at a pet store. He told school officials he bought the animals because he wasn't able to catch a wild rabbit during a hunt.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pardon me while I go find my barf bag!
    ~*~ "None left to rescue, none left to buy, none left to suffer, none left to die. None to be beaten, none to be kicked...all must be loved and all must be fixed".
    Author Unknown ~*~

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

~BRRR~ I'VE BEEN FROSTED!!!~ BRRR~

What a sad story. Poor animals.

Thank you so much Michelle!

Please be responsible, spay and neuter your pets!

I've been BOO'd!!! Thanks Lori!

If he wasn't able to catch a wild rabbit, then he shouldn't have been allowed to cook the store baught one in class. Why did he shoot it with an arrow if it wasn't wild? And where the hell were his parents?
    Love is Adoptable. Adopt a Pit Bull.

Don't Breed or Buy While Shelter Animals Die.

If Pit Bulls are outlawed, only outlaws will have Pit Bulls.

Dahmer in the making again? Being from Wisconsin I would like to point out that this is how serial killers start out. Is there something wrong with these kids, and the teacher. I hope they get some sort of punishment.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

If You Don't Talk To Your Cat About Catnip, Who Will?
    There's something incredibly demented about the whole picture!
    ~*~ "None left to rescue, none left to buy, none left to suffer, none left to die. None to be beaten, none to be kicked...all must be loved and all must be fixed".
    Author Unknown ~*~

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

~BRRR~ I'VE BEEN FROSTED!!!~ BRRR~

Wild cavies were domesticated and became guinnie pigs so that people could eat them. That was to survive though. Now in S. American they are quite a delicassy. I think it was very wrong for that kid to do in class though. Especially if not all the meat was eaten, and he wasn't going hungry.

Niņo & Eliza

The moral standards of this teacher are deplorable.

Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our life whole