Thread: Brass tags?

Brass tags?

I have heard that brass tags can sometimes change white fur to a weird color...is that true? My kitties have brass tags and Mason is white where the tag is...I don't want to make his fur weird!!

I have never heard,that and the Found Cats,are not excatly collar friendly,at the best,of times!
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

They wear collars only because Thor had a deep desire to run out the door, and I would just die if he got lost, or worse. I read that on a tag website somewhere. So far, there's no discoloration, Mason's worn it for a while now.

4. I dont keep collars on my cats as they are indoor outdoor cats. they drive mine insane if i try to keep them strickly indoor cats.. like scratching the screens and howling like their inheat. ughh. =/

so i dont keep a collar on them incase they climb a tree and get 'hung' by it.

I have the collars that will break away if it gets stuck on a fence or something. I've tested them by holding on to the collar while it's on the cat, and yes, they break away. The brand is Safe Cat...they don't actually break, the clasp just unhooks so they can get out of whatever trouble they got into!!Here's what the clasp is like, Thor's is the Harley Davidson one, of course.

I would think brass would turn the fur different colors if it wasn't laquered. Chances are a good, more expensive, brass tag would be laquered so I wouldn't worry.

I used to have Allen wear a collar all the time. I finally took it off him a few months ago because I felt bad he was the only one wearing a collar. Pouncer was the great escape artist and got out of ANY collar I put on him. Ten minutes after I found it and replaced it on his neck, it was on the floor somewhere I finally gave up knowing he was more determined to be out of it than I was to keep him in it. I have plans on getting him and the kittens microchipped once I get a job. Hopefully sometime before spring. Are your kitties microchipped?

Originally posted by catnapper
    I would think brass would turn the fur different colors if it wasn't laquered. Chances are a good, more expensive, brass tag would be laquered so I wouldn't worry.

I used to have Allen wear a collar all the time. I finally took it off him a few months ago because I felt bad he was the only one wearing a collar. Pouncer was the great escape artist and got out of ANY collar I put on him. Ten minutes after I found it and replaced it on his neck, it was on the floor somewhere I finally gave up knowing he was more determined to be out of it than I was to keep him in it. I have plans on getting him and the kittens microchipped once I get a job. Hopefully sometime before spring. Are your kitties microchipped?
    No, no microchipps. I plan on it, though. I am definatly getting the dog done. Can't afford 4 of them right now!!

My GF had severe allergic reactions to latex and metals. She could not even wear her Medic Alert medal/bracelet, they ate her skin up....

I told her to use a clear nail polish to cover them-it worked like a charm....and it was a cheaper fix- but you did have to keep applying another coat every so often.

GREAT idea! I will have to try that!

hello!!!
    On our eight cats, all wear breakaway collars with PLASTIC tags. The tags do not seen to affect the colour of their fur, like I think the brass would. The pastice tags are much lighter than the metal ones(which since I was not aware of plastic tags the cats wore the metal ones for a few years), and the plastic tags do not make the noise that the metal tags made while the cats were eating and the tags hit the food bowls. Even if the cat is indoor only, as our cats are, I have this fear that someday, a guest will keep a door open jut a little too long, and one may get out. They are also microchipped. Yes, this all is an investment, but I think it is worth every penny to keep them safe. Even have collars and tags for when we all go to Cape Cod in the fall!!!
    I hope this is of some help, although a tad long....
    Nine is Fine!!