Thread: Sheltie shedding ... HELP!!!

Sheltie shedding ... HELP!!!

Oh my gosh, my girl Missy is shedding something TERRIBLE! She had started just a bit, so I thought I was really on the ball, I brushed her out really good one day ... removed enough hair to make another small dog! Anyway, now that I did that, she looks AWFUL! Her hair is sticking out in clumps all over her body ... I used a shedding blade and it just keeps coming, and coming, and coming!!! What do I do? I'm totally new at this. My doxie doesn't have hair (so to speak) and my poodle goes to the groomer every few months. What do I do with all this HAIR?

Thanks in advance!

Kim
    Kim Loves Cats and Doggies Too!

Thankfully, I don't have this problem as my dog's are brushed every other day. (2 dogs - 1 dog a day - good bonding time) My dog's do shed, ALOT.

I would continue to use the shedding blade and use it every day till she is out of her Shedding stage. It should help. You might want to use it twice a day for a little while. That is what I do with my mom's sheltie, Teddy.

Good luck!

Ashley
    Dogs: Nova, Konnor and Sitka

Try an undercoat rake and a slicker brush. Those two really helped when my boys were shedding.
    Last edited by binka_nugget; 02-05-2005 at 04:33 PM.

Kai [Sheltie], Kaedyn [Sheltie], Keeva [Malinois], Kwik [Malinois]

Originally posted by binka_nugget
    Try an undercoat rake and a slicker brush. Those two really helped when my boys were shedding.
    Yes..... a shedding blade is actually more effective on short haired coats. After those 2 tools, my favorite finishing tool is a shedding COMB. It is a metal comb with alternating long and short teeth. I could NOT do my job without this tool. And an oiccasional professional grooming for her couldn't hurt.

I do have a slicker brush that I've used before too ... boy does it fill up fast! I will try the other tools, and yes a professional grooming would be great ... hope they won't charge by the amount of hair is removed!!! LOL!!!

I too would suggest a professional grooming, nothing like high powered dryers for blowing out shedding hair, LOL

At work all we use is slicker brushes and metal combs. Works great on my dogs.

*Thanks Ashley*

Originally posted by Shelteez2
    I too would suggest a professional grooming, nothing like high powered dryers for blowing out shedding hair, LOL

At work all we use is slicker brushes and metal combs. Works great on my dogs.
    Thank you! I will find a good groomer who is accustomed to doing Shelties. Actually my daughter's future mother in law has 2 Shelties that she takes to a groomer .... DUH!

Originally posted by kimlovescats
    Thank you! I will find a good groomer who is accustomed to doing Shelties. Actually my daughter's future mother in law has 2 Shelties that she takes to a groomer .... DUH!
    Perfect!! Word of mouth recommendation is the best.

*Thanks Ashley*

Jake's shedding was always so fun, for me! Every night I'd sit on the floor with him and watch TV and brush out clumps of shedded hair. It was so relaxing!

Look on the bright side of it. It's awesome bonding time, and so relaxing.

Thanks for the siggy, Lexi_Lover!