Thread: Go Already!

Go Already!

Hello..this is my first post and I hope tht someone has some ideas to help me out. I have a 9 month old ShihTzu/Maltese that we got when she was 7 weeks old. I have crate trained her ( or so I though)..frequent trips outside..praise when she goes..a treat...the problem is that when we do take her ouside (whether its summer or winter) she takes up to 30 minutes to do her job. She sniffs around FOREVER for the perfect spot! I've even tried the Simple Solution Potty Training Aid. We are not fenced in as our sub does not allow fences. I feel that a "doggie fence" is too cruel. She is taken for a walk at least twice a day. To make matters worse...Dharma has been known to go outside..potty..and then come back inside only to potty again right in front of me..but not often.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!!

hi there and welcome to pet talk. i will give you my advice about potty training and you can use it how you see fit. i will preface my advice by informing you that some small breeds like maltese and shih tzu can be a challenge to potty train. ok that said here goes . . .

first 30 minutes is entirely too long to give her to get busy. i would designate an area in your yard where you want her to go. take her outside on leash directly to her potty area. tell her to go potty or get busy or whatever cue you want. if she goes throw a puppy pee party -- lots of treats, toys, play in the yard.

if she does not go in about 5 minutes then take her back inside and crate her for 15 minutes. repeat the process until she goes then potty party. the first couple days she may spend a while in her crate.

also important to note that if she does not potty when you go outside there is no play time (at least until she gets on a regular schedule and can be trusted). be careful because frequently people take their dogs out to potty and then go right back in the house when they are finished. how rewarding is that to a dog? be sure that if she goes you give her a toy or a tiny jog around the yard. they learn to hold it because they want to stay outside -- they know if they go immediately they go back inside.

if she is going outside and coming inside and going too i think the first thing i would do is make sure she doesn't have a medical problem like urinary tract infection. if she is fine and you catch her tell her "outside" pick her up and take her outside to her potty yard. give her a minute to go and then repeat potty training with crate.

always keep an eye on her inside so that you can watch for signs she is about to go. interrupt her and take her to the correct spot. try to help her succeed every time!

hope that helps

Thank you so much! I will try that...and you're right...she is very curious while outside so she just takes her sweet old time. If you take her for a walk around the block...you're sure to get her to do #1 and #2..but I didn't want her to get into that habit either.

go to a pet store and buy a puppy piddle post/pheromone stake it is yellow and it may help and also helps keep her going in a certain area as well

Well the little rascal is not getting any better at "getting busy".....I took her to the vet for her regular check up...and apparently she's in heat...with that being said...she is constantly sniffing around here and there and EVERYWHERE because of the scent of other male dogs.... she could care less about doing her job with other things on her mind. Her appointment to be spayed will be in two weeks

You have great advice given already...so I don't really have anything to add..just kudos to you for getting her spayed and that may make a big difference..
    I had no trouble training Gracie..but we have a fenced in yard and I know that makes it much easier..she gets lots of play time outside but she knows to "go potty" first..
    Good luck and welcome to PT
    Hope to see pics soon!

Thank you! Yes a fenced in yard would end almost every problem we have!!! The electric fences just seem incredibly inhumane...does anyone have any advice in that area? She wants to run and play!!! The doggie parks have not worked because 90% of all dogs there are SO BIG!! Dharma is only 11 pounds at 9 months...they run at her thinking she's an appetizer

I know it is tuff trying to potty train. The kennel thing sounded good but if that is not working, Maybe this will. I'm not for sure because I have a boxer. Well Moose also was doing the same thing going outside not doing anything or waiting forever to go. Sooo I talked to his breeder and he suggested this. Ok may sound funny but it worked for Moose. His breeder told me to get a q-tip and stick the very tip of it up his booboo. This he said would give him the urge to go. Because more than anything he just wanted the q-tip out. It took me 3 times of do this and he has not had a problem since. Once again Moose is a bigger dog but this did work for him. Soo good luck.

Unhappy

Yes we may have to look at the Qtip method...it's 16 degrees and my kids are thinking the dog was a mistake ...She is the most stubborn Maltese-Shit&*^%& I've ever known...3 or 4 walks a day aren't enough for her...that's the only time she will go "both"!!!

Please tell me spring/summer will cure this!

Not sure I can really help with advice, given the great stuff already posted, but welcome to PT anyway. How about a pic or two?

Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our life whole

i was lucky to have no trouble with maximus...he even picks a certain spot in the yard...sometimes he gets thrown off when it rains...i think most dogs don't poo where they play.