Thread: Dog ate some rasins..

Dog ate some rasins..

Alright, our 7 month old Coton got into a bowl of oatmeal with some rasins in it about two hours ago. The amount of rasins he got is unclear but it doesnt look like he got alot of them. I am just wondering if he will be okay, he hasn't been showing any signs of illness and I am just very worried about him.

Welcome to Pet Talk!!

Big question is How MANY raisins did Coton eat?

If it's only been two hours;
    they many not be fully digested -
    you can "purge" whatever is left in the tummy by giving a couple
    spoonfuls of 3% Hydrogen Peroxide to induce vomiting.

Here's an article...

" ... The first line of defense is decontamination. Inducing vomiting in recent ingestion and administering activated charcoal helps prevent
    absorption of potential toxins. Dogs should be hospitalized and placed on a diuresis of intravenous fluids for a minimum of 48 hours.
    Blood work should be monitored daily for at least three days following ingestion. If all blood work is normal after three days, it's
    unlikely that kidney failure will occur. If a dog shows evidence of kidney failure, fluids must be continued, and other medications
    should be used to stimulate urine production.

To reach The ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center hotline call (888) 426-4435 or use their website www.apcc.aspca.org."

The FULL Article is at >>>
    http://www.thepetcenter.com/NEWS/news.html

Raisins and Grapes have recently been reported to be toxic to dogs -
    "some" dogs get VERY sick from them...
    others don't seem to show ill effects.

/s/ Phred
    /s/ Cinder, Smokey & Heidi

R.I.P. ~ Boots, Bowser, Sherman, & Snoopy

Well its been over a day now and nothing has happend to him so I'm guessing he will be alright. He's eating, drinking, urinating, and his feces is solid so hopefully it will stay that way!

Great news! Sending lots of postive thoughts your way, Coton! Stay out of the oatmeal bowl Let us know how he's doing!

Star,Tigg'r , Mollie and the10 Gallon Gang!

And my Rainbow Bridge Furangels...Jingles, Cody, Fritz, Chessa, Satin, Buddy, Lizzie, Oliver, Squeaker, Moonbeam, Rosie, Ruby~

Yes, he is doing very well. He just got done pulling a roll of toilet paper out of the bathroom and making a mess, but you can't get mad at him it's too cute.

ROFLOL! You're a character, I can tell Coton I forgot to welcome you guys to Pet Talk! WELCOME and hope to see you on the boards! Sandra, Cody and Star

And my Rainbow Bridge Furangels...Jingles, Cody, Fritz, Chessa, Satin, Buddy, Lizzie, Oliver, Squeaker, Moonbeam, Rosie, Ruby~

Thanks, I'm sure I will be here alot considering he seems to get into something everyday! Wouldn't have him any other way..

I know where you're a coming from...I'm a Lab Mom

Hmm, you really do learn something new everyday! I love snackin' on raisins and have trained Bud to be quite the little raisin catcher; I had no idea that they were not good for them, but he has never shown any ill effects. I suppose that's a practice I will stop!

Anyway, welcome to Pet Talk jjjeremyyy from a fellow "newbie" and I'm glad Coton is ok!!
    Steve

Thanks Lexi_Lover

"Man is the only animal that blushes. Or needs to." -- Mark Twain

"Don't count the days. Make the days count." -- Muhammad Ali

Thanks for the welcome. Yes, I was surprised too when I found out they were toxic to dogs, apperently they cause liver and kidney failure.

News to me too and have had dogs for over 40 years.

This is my first dog and I'm glad I found out or else I might have been feeding him grapes all the time! But I am hoping to get more dogs when I get older, considering I'm only 14 right now I don't really have the choice to get another dog.

Our new puppy had some loose stools and I had just bought some grapes...turned out my daughter was giving him some because she didn't know they were harmful...so the few grapes or raisins can cause some mild diarreah.
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!