Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please Help :(

Please Help :(

I'm trying to figure out the deaths of my recent 2 kittens. I need your help..

They were delivered to our house at 7 weeks old. A black and a russian blue kitten. They were very healthy. 2 and a half months later the russian blue got lost out side. We didn't find it till 2 weeks later (humane society) Brought it home. It seemed emotionally detached. It went from energetic/playful, to self reserved. 3 weeks later.. the russian blue grew sick, dark dark urine, it's face became "really really puffy".. it wouldn't eat anything. A week later it just lay there, arms/legs given up. The night it died, it lay still, eyes open starring blankly ahead. Later on we found it dead. Left behind a huge puddle of clotted blood on the floor. (silent death/no complications)

Now thats not the end of the story. Here's where it's bizarre.. the black kitten was healthy before and after the russian blue came home. 4 days after the russian blue got "really really" sick/couldn't move, the black kitten became ill looking, wouldn't eat, dark dark urine. The night it died, it had epileptic episodes, mouth shut, arms and legs stiffened, arms extended as if swatting a fly, eyes dead. After it died we found a peach liquid substance that had extruded through its mouth (puddle on floor) When it was dying it screamed occassionaly.

The black kitten died a day before the russian blue. Recieved them at 7 weeks old and they died at 4 1/2 months old.

Why did they die? What do these symtoms mean? How could a perfectly healthy black kitten die?

Please help me. I feel so detached.

My deceased babies..

Last edited by Alexia18; 01-30-2005 at 12:50 AM.

I am so sorry for the loss of your babies! I don't know personally what may be at fault, but I just wanted to say how sorry I am.

What did your vet say?

~Aki
    "The best and most beautiful things cannot be seen or touched - they must be felt with the heart." ~~ Helen Keller
    ------------------------------------------------
    Chuck (rb) meowmie misses you!

------------------------------------------------

thanks kittycats_delights for the sig!

I'm so sorry to hear about your kittens tragic passing. I don't know why they died either. Did you take them to a vet for a diagnosis? Maybe they both got into something poisonous in or around your home. RIP sweet kittens.

I am so very sorry for the loss of your kitties. Though I do not know what could have caused your kitties' deaths, I am wondering if you took them to the vet or had a necropsy done? You might want to speak with a vet before deciding to bring another animal into the home since you don't know what caused the deaths in the first place.
    Sarah, meowmie of Whisper, Shadow, Callie and red-eared slider, Kahn

Thank you CatNapper for the beautiful siggy!

I'm sorry that you lost your kittens. It is hard to know what happened. Did these kittens ever recieve any vet care? Were these the first kittens you ever had?
    It does sound like poison could be a strong possibility. I have to agree that I wouldn't get any more cats/kittens until you can find out what caused the death of these two. I'm sure you wouldn't want it to happen again. Was there any rat/mouse poison anywhere around?

I am also sorry for their death. I agree in the poison theory. There are so many common things in a home that are highly poisonous ot cats. Onions for example! Here's a link to a website about basic cat care, and at the bottom is an extensive list of things that are poisonous to cats:
    cat care

Its sad to hear that two beautiful kittens had such a short life. I hope that you can determine what happened and give yourself some peace and closure.

I am so so sorry to read about your lil kittens! Wish I could help you discover what happened...

If You Don't Talk To Your Cat About Catnip, Who Will?
    I'm sorry you lost both kittens in such a horrible way. Had they ever been to the vets for routine vaccinations? It is critical to a kitten's health to get the kitten series of FVRCP. Panleukopenia can be tracked in on shoes, and is highly contagious, and deadly to unvaccinated animals. Another thought that crossed my mind is a highly virulant strain of calicivirus. http://www.petspourri.com:8080/veterinarian01_03.htm
    The pinkish liquid from the black kitten's mouth sounds very much like pneumonia which could have been a symptom of a virus, and the kitten's inability to fight off infections. If you do a search (under user control panel at the top of the page here) and type in Emily Rose, I had a kitten some months back that had developed a horrible virus. Vaccinating for FVRCP did no good prior to the kitten's contracting it...it's a mutated strain and highly contagious. I did manage to save all four kittens from dying from complications of this virus, but it was a long and tiring time doing so. Emily was worst off with severe edema to her face and legs, but between antibiotics, and fluids, force feedings etc. she survived, and has been adopted out along with her 3 brothers. Better to be on the safe side in your case, and not take in any more kittens unless they've had at least two of the kitten vaccinations, and after you get an OK from your vet. Some viruses can remain in the environment for well over a year, and erradicating them is not an easy task.
    ~*~ "None left to rescue, none left to buy, none left to suffer, none left to die. None to be beaten, none to be kicked...all must be loved and all must be fixed".
    Author Unknown ~*~

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

~BRRR~ I'VE BEEN FROSTED!!!~ BRRR~

Thank you for all your warm replies

I have one cat (4 years old very healthy)

I live in a small town where the Vet is 5 hrs away. My parents are really busy with work. I can't drive nor my sister. I feel really bad about that.

They (kittens) never left the house, except for that one time when the Russian Blue got lost outside for 2 weeks.

I just wish I knew why
    Last edited by Alexia18; 01-30-2005 at 09:46 AM.

How very sad. I'm so sorry.

From Decker with Love

First of all, I'm very very sorry. What a horrible experience!!

My thought was that the Russian Blue might have picked up something when it got lost outside, but I don't know of a virus that's acting that agressive and fast (unless it's the distemper virus, but those are different symptoms).

Maybe it could be this new form of the calico virus that occured in parts of the United States lately. The dark urine seems to point out that the liver might have been affected. Does anyone know if that new calico virus causes liver failure or infection?

However, poison could be another option. Did your parents use any toxic subtances (such as anti freezer) in the house lately, or maybe brought a toxic plant home?

I'm sorry that you didn't have the chance to bring them to the vet!

Kirsten

That is horrible News about your Cat,as it could be poison,anti freeze,or FIV,and It might well,be worth,to have a test done,top see if you can anrrow,done the cause of death.I ma sorry,for your loss,and they are Eternal Kittens ,now,in the Pet Talkers Pet Angel Army,and will see you,.again,one day,and they say,not,to feel bad,that you did,all that you could,and they will,be your Kittens,again,one day.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Originally posted by Alexia18
    Thank you for all your warm replies

I have one cat (4 years old very healthy)

I live in a small town where the Vet is 5 hrs away. My parents are really busy with work. I can't drive nor my sister. I feel really bad about that.

They (kittens) never left the house, except for that one time when the Russian Blue got lost outside for 2 weeks.

I just wish I knew why
    Please correct me if I am wrong but your posts suggests that you didn't take either cats to the vets and simply watched the kittens die and it took one kitten at least seven days to die.

Your parents being busy is no excuse, neither is the fact you don't drive. You could of walked to the nearest vets in a week.

Did you ring the vets for free and prompt advice ?

Did you contact your local shelters or cat breeders for advice ?

Did you take your sick kittens to the vets five hours away using any transport availble (buses, coaches, trains, taxis) ?

IMO It should be a criminal offense (animal abuse) NOT to provide necessary vet care for our pets.

I really hope I have misunderstood your post, as the thought of two sweet kittens suffering and dying in pain though not receiving essential vet care is very upsetting.

RIP Sweet Kittens

Originally posted by PayItForward
    Please correct me if I am wrong but your posts suggests that you didn't take either cats to the vets and simply watched the kittens die and it took one kitten at least seven days to die.

Your parents being busy is no excuse, neither is the fact you don't drive. You could of walked to the nearest vets in a week.

Did you ring the vets for free and prompt advice ?

Did you contact your local shelters or cat breeders for advice ?

Did you take your sick kittens to the vets five hours away using any transport availble (buses, coaches, trains, taxis) ?

IMO It should be a criminal offense (animal abuse) NOT to provide necessary vet care for our pets.

I really hope I have misunderstood your post, as the thought of two sweet kittens suffering and dying in pain though not receiving essential vet care is very upsetting.

RIP Sweet Kittens
    PIF this kind of attitude is not going to help. I understand how you feel because I too was horrified at the suffering of these kittens but obviously so was this young girl who can not control her parents!
    If we remain calm and attempt to educate then maybe she will continue to come to PT and we can offer some helpful advice if she ever has trouble or questions about her animals. Slamming and insulting her will only resort in her never coming back to PT for help and that could possibly result in harm to more animals.

Alexia18, please don't let insults from one person deter you from PT. It is obvious that the death of these kittens upset you and you don't want that to happen again. There are many people on PT who have tons of experience with all sorts of animals and can be very helpful to you if you need them. Yes, the right thing to do would have been get them to the vet but that was obviously not in your control. You can learn many things from the people of PT so keep hanging around ok? We all help each other all the time.

Why don't you tell us about your wonderful 4 year old kitty. Do you have any pictures that you can share?

I am sorry I did not respond sooner. I have to echo the thoughts of CCL above

I feel awful about the kittens - I am sure we ALL do. But it is done and Alexia obviously feels awful also.

I think alot of this is misunderstanding and that nobody is saying that this owner is to be compared to someone who commits a criminal offense

Let us try to help understand what happened and to get to know YOU Alexia18 and your remaining kitty.

I am really sorry about your kittens