Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: THEY HATCHED, THEY HATCHED, THEY HATCHED!

3 weeks on monday

Ok, you have to use your imagination with this one. Considering the bird was pink, the color blended in with my hand. I put my hand into a halftone...so that it would bring out the chick a little more. Here it is one week old....still ugly, eyes still shut.

Your photos just knock me out. I am so glad you figured out how to post the pictures. I just sat here saying awwwwwww!!!
    Thank you - keep them coming. What a wonderful event to share!

Hey I think they're cute! So ugly they're cute I am so excited for you! Keep us updated. What are you going to name them? And by the way I had birds who HATED me so don't feel bad. They were budgies and they bit me any time I went near them. They hated me so much that they would avoid me at all costs; I could leave their cage door open and they'd stay in there so as not to have to be near me. I wasn't mean to them so I don't know why! It made me feel so bad. Anyway, they ended up getting so viscious I gave them to a "bird woman!" They did sing so sweetly though. Well good luck with the babies!!!

up close picture of the lovebird chicks. They opened their eyes last Sunday. They will be three weeks old on March 19th. They are just now starting to grow their flight feathers. I don't know what color they are supposed to be, but right now they are grey.

Here, Samson is looking at the babies, while Delilah is getting out of the nesting box.

awww they are trying to feed each other.

Delilah in her usual position. Guarding the babies. You can see the parakeets eggs in this picture.

question for ya. Am i supposed to be cleaning out their nesting box? It looks pretty gross.

Speaking of their birdy box. I have to share this with you. When I first bought the box, neither of the birds would have anything to do with it. So, being the mean mommy that i am, I put Delilah in there, and stuck a sock in the hole. I left her in there for about 5 minutes with the eggs. Unplugged the hole, and it did the trick.. She didn't want to come out.
    The whole "building the nest" process was really neat to watch. I put cotton balls at the bottom of the cage. She would run down, tear off pieces, and put them in her rump feathers. It was funny to watch, because they would fall out, and she would look so aggrivated. THEN, (grrr) I have them a really nice long latter reaching from the top of the cage to the bottom. Its a rope and wooden latter. Anyway, they totally chewed up the rope and put it in the box. Little boogers.

Delilah is still guarding the parakeets eggs. These pictures were taken last night. That is the third parakeet egg...but only the second to survive.

did that last set of pictures work? They are Xed out on my end.

No, they did not work. Photopoint gives an error message.
    Apparently the number 9371240 should have been 9371242. These look like they are
    your images.

Awww I really think they are cute!!!! Keep the pictures coming Delilah and Samson are quite beautiful also.

Hi HowieDawn

What cute "grandkids" you have They are looking really good and nice and plump, just as they should. Good job to you and to the parent birds.

As for the nesting box, yeah you should be cleaning it once a week or so. The easiest way for me was to first put the chicks in a temperary, warm nest and then get a good sized paint scraper and scrape the sides and bottom then toss out the dirty and refill it with fresh nesting material. Pine shavings are what I used but cotton balls sound fine too.

Have fun with the gang They are adorable, I just love baby birds!

Those are the sweetest baby birds ever!
    Did you find out what you are going to do with them yet

Annie

Hmmm I don't know what I am going to do with the babies yet. I know that I cannot keep them all.

I will be cleaning out the nesting box.

If you would like to see more pictures, go to www.photopoint.com and type in my e mail [email protected]

thanks paul for fixing the pictures

Parakeets have 4 eggs now.

Anyone near me in WV. I have no clue what I am going to do with the babies.

After what Daisy's mom said about her budgies, I don't feel so bad about the parakeets thanks I needed that (anyone want a parakeet )

The birds will do most of the job, nothing much for you to worry about, but keep checking up on them regularly and notify someone if something happens.