Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What dog would be best for me?

What dog would be best for me?

I would want a dog that...

- Is small enough to fit in a cute little doggy purse thing.

- is really sweet and likes kids and other animals.

- Is REALLY cute and fun to play with.

- isn't lazt and actually likes to do things.

- Doesent need much grooming.

and can you put pics? I love looking at doggies. Lol.

ItÂīs quite hard to answer..Cause for example I dont know what kind of dogs you think are cute .. WEll maybe you would like chihuahua?

WEll..you should check www.dogbreedinfo.com there are lots of info about different dog breeds!

Liga(me),Carreras(gordon setter),Simba(the cat),Felix(bun),Aisha & Nila(ratties),Ellie(guinea piggy)

A Chihuahua? Wow! Good answer. they are cute!

maybe a pomerianian or a papillon.....????.....
    Rainbowbridge- Tikeya 'forever loved'
    Owned By Luna, Prudence, and Raven

I'm having a hard time finding a dog for all of your needs. A smaller dog tends to be nippier with children and most small dogs need a lot of professional grooming. I would have to say a papillon.

I couldn't find any purebred papillons in Texas, but here are some papillon mixes looking for a home.

Papsi

Chip

Chip

Trooper

Truman

Some breeders in Texas

Janet Muzny
    Oldfield
    Linda Nelson
    Braylor's Papillons
    Mesquite Hollow
    [email protected].
    Aransas Kennels
    Aleda Papillons
    I've been BOO'd!

what about a pekignese or chihuahua? where do you live?? please tell me that you're planning on adopting one..
    Krista- owned by Rudy, Dixie, Miagi & Angel

Rocky, Jenny, Ginger Buster & Tiger .. forever loved & always in my heart..

Pembroke Welsh Corgi. I think they are pretty small, great w/ kids, no grooming, very playfull!

Niņo & Eliza

Maybe a Jack Russell. They are small, don't need much grooming, are very athletic, good with kids, and LOVE their owners. But sometimes they do get overly protective.

Koda[Aussie] & Kenai[Aussie]

Aussie Brothers FUR-ever! Aussie Addict!

Jacks and Parsons are REALLY hyper!

Niņo & Eliza

IMO, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I believe that while appearances can sway decisions, it should not be very high up on your checklist.

How much exercise can you provide?
    Will you be adopting or buying? If you're buying, stay away from pet stores and BYBs. Try to pick a breed and go to its parent club. For example, if you want a Chihuahua, go to Chihuahua Club of America and click on breeder referrals.
    How often can you groom?
    Small dogs and young children do not necessarily mix well no matter what the breed. Young children are just inclined to pinch/hit/etc. It's your job to supervise all dog/kid time.
    Will you be attending obedience classes?
    Have you looked in your local shelter?
    Go to Petfinder.org . I guarantee you that you can find a small breed dog *somewhere* in your area.
    Active dogs are often active throughout their life. Can you provide all that exercise? I know I couldn't, and that's why I'll stick to my Pekingese and Greyhound. Also, I don't think a Pekingese would work in your situation.
    Good Luck and please consider the adoption route. The rewards will be tenfold

I recommend that you get a dog that's around 1-3 years old and not a puppy. I wouldn't recommend a Jack Russel Terrier unless you're an experienced JRT owner. They may be small, but most are very hyper and they need special attention.

If I were you, I'd just go down to your local animal shelter with your family to see which dog you're all more compatible with and that's the dog for you.

13. Lexi isn't actually that hyper at all, some people say that, I mean, sure its the breed, but not ALL are like that! Ask vinjashira about Snowy or micki76(maybe its 67 ) about her 3.

Originally posted by Lexi_Lover
    Lexi isn't actually that hyper at all, some people say that, I mean, sure its the breed, but not ALL are like that! Ask vinjashira about Snowy or micki76(maybe its 67 ) about her 3.
    I didn't say all were. My cousin has a JRT/Rat Terrier mix and she's one of the sweetest dogs, but I just don't think a JRT is the dog for everyone. If you want a certain breed, you should have experience in that breed or atleast have read alot of information about them to know what you're getting into.

All animals have different personalities and it shouldn't matter what breed they are(mixed or purebred) because they're all different. Like I've said, just go down to your local animal shelter to see which dog you and your family are more compatible with and that's the dog for you.

Ashley I see you are from Baytown..which is close by me (Deer Park) and there are shelters right over by you. There are several in Houston. I believe there is a rescue in Baytown on Market St.