Thread: please help!!

please help!!

i have a chihuahua puppy 5 months old, and i want to litterbox train him so that when i leave him while im at work, he wont go anywhere but his box... i cant stand putting him in a crate all day. any advice? any tips? Thanks, Louis's mom

Unfortunately, it's either that or lug said dog and litterbox to work with you..

We all had to crate train, and it is the best thing..
    Trixie's Togs
    .: for dogs who trot the wild side :.

use the same technique as potty training for outside except put the puppy in the litter box.. morning right when you wake up and try not to let him out untill he does his business and when he does praise him... then do same before you leave for work and when you come home from work and before you go to bed and so on.. mistakes else where should fade as he starts to realize that he gets praised and treated for going in the litter box

o forgot one thing... dogs tend to go where other dogs have went cus they leave pheromones .. and well they have this stake at most pet stores its yellow kinda big but its a pheromone stake and if you put that in the litter box that alone may do the trick..

I suppose this doesn't exactly answer your question but I am a big fan of my (their) doggy-door!!
    Steve

Thanks Lexi_Lover

"Man is the only animal that blushes. Or needs to." -- Mark Twain

"Don't count the days. Make the days count." -- Muhammad Ali

I agree that crate training is the best thing because it helps dogs control their bladder. But it depends how long you're at work because you can't leave him in there for a very long time. He's still a puppy which means he'll still make some mistakes and will need to use the bathroom every 2 hours or so.

If he accidently goes on the carpet, use an enzyme neutralizer like Nature's Miracle, which can be found at Petsmart, to clean up his mess so he won't keep going on your carpet. If you use a product from the grocery store or any other store, then those won't work and he'll still be able to smell where he last went. He'll keep going bathroom in that same spot or near it making him think that it's okay so it's best to use an enzyme neutralizer to clean up his mess.

Like I've said, he's still a puppy so he'll still make some mistakes, but with time, everything will work out.