Thread: Neutering

Neutering

After a certain age, is it too late to get a cat neutered? My sister raises and tames strays and she has a big tom who needs to get the 'big snip.' However, we're not sure exactly how old he is (he's an adult, several years old probably) and we were afraid neutering him at a late age might be harmful. I've asked my sister how old she thinks he might be through email but she hasn't gotten back to me yet so I'll give you an approximate age as soon as I know.

Thanks for any help or advice you can give me.
    Proud meowmy of Weezie, Eepie, Grey Girl and Neko...or Weezer Peezer, Eepie Peepie, Grey Grey and Neko the Gecko as they are commonly known!

In my opinion they're never too old for "the big snip." I know Magoo is a little up there in years and he was just neutered and he is doing wonderfully, so I don't think they're are really any risks. A call to your vet might put your fears to rest, but he will probably say the same - the sooner the better!
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

No, you can get a cat fixed, especially males, at almost any age.

The only concern is an older kitty being put under anesthesia, but with males its so QUICK that it usually isn't a concern.

...RIP, our sweet Gini...

If You Don't Talk To Your Cat About Catnip, Who Will?
    There is no harm in neutering even a senior cat. It may keep him from getting testicular cancer, and it will certainly make his urine stink less, though it's doubtful he'll stop spraying if he's doing so already. Anesthesia has come a longgggg way over the years, and it's a very quick and safe procedure. A friend of my husband had a cat that she never bothered spaying, and the cat gave birth at 18 years old! The vet said not to bother spaying her at her advanced age, but she managed to birth one kitten anyway. Wonder she didn't die of pyometra, or mammary tumors etc. during all those heat cycles. The cat will be happier neutered!
    ~*~ "None left to rescue, none left to buy, none left to suffer, none left to die. None to be beaten, none to be kicked...all must be loved and all must be fixed".
    Author Unknown ~*~

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

~BRRR~ I'VE BEEN FROSTED!!!~ BRRR~

Thank you everyone. Next paycheck, he's on his way to the vet then!
    Proud meowmy of Weezie, Eepie, Grey Girl and Neko...or Weezer Peezer, Eepie Peepie, Grey Grey and Neko the Gecko as they are commonly known!

when i adopted my kitty Oliver he was already 3 or 4 and un-neutered. i had him exactly 14 hours before i was on the phone with the vets office making an appointment for the "big snip". once night of howling and spraying all over everything was more than enough for me.

he was a bit older than most cats, but the op went perfect.