Thread: Speak Command

Question Speak Command

I would love some help on teaching a dog to speak. How is this done? Thanks for any help you can give!

When I teach the "speak" command I try to do it when nobody else is around because I really get pretty crazy myself and someone watching would think I was nuts. I take something the dog really likes and hold it just out of their reach. This is usually a treat or a favorite toy. I keep repeating the command "speak" while getting the dogs excitement level elevated for whatever I am giving them. Make sure to keep eye contact with the dog. The split second the dog barks I get all excited with tons of praise and enthusiastically give the reward to the dog. I like to make so much fuss over them doing what they were "told" to do that they want to do it again. It takes a lot of repitition for the dog to associate the word "speak" with "reward" so be patient. My biggest caution would be if you spend more than 15 minutes at one time trying to get the dog to speak then quit for the time being and try again later. You don't want the dog or yourself getting too frustrated. However, if it takes this long to get one bark out of the dog then you will probably need to change the lure and get something more appealing to the dog.

The most important part of this is making it fun for the dog and making sure they get rewarded. For some dogs it takes sometime before they catch on but I haven't had one dog yet that didn't eventually catch on.

Hope this helps!

I trained my puppy to speak very similar to what Dixieland Dancer described. She picked it up very quickly. Her mother however, refuses to speak. If I get her excited, and she sees her puppy get treats for speaking, she does her version of speak, but she gets frustrated easily.

When training a dog, do the trick at least 5 times but less that 10. Your dog needs repetition to learn but too may times may frustrate her. Don't tell anyone, but it may help your dog if you bark as well when you say speak.) Just make sure no ones around, or they may think you're a little weird.

Why do you want your dog to bark? Just for the purpose it is cute to have on command or you want to stop her from barking so if you put it on command she will only do when you say or for a protective reason to scare others off?

The reason could really change the way you train for them to speak.. that is why I ask.. the two suggestions already given work great for just the purpose of barking on command but if you want the dog to scare people away you will need to use a different method.. so let me know if you need that other method..

I have used it already to train my dog to speak to scare people away from myself/my house and my car but yet for as viscous as she looks when she does it she would most likely pee her pants it they just jumped at her and said boo..lol

Last night I took Dixieland's advice and it went really well. She will now bark on command for a food reward.

The reason we wanted to teach her to speak is so we can train her to bark when she wants to go in and out to the bathroom. Right now she scratches and has destroyed a great many screens. We also want to teach her the "no speak" command just for times that it's difficult when she barks (kids sleeping, etc.) I hope I haven't gone about it the wrong way given this goal.

I want to thank you all for the help you are giving!

6. I just found this post because I have been eager to teach Lexi this command and took Dixieland's avice...and it didn't work so well for me! Now what do I do!

Speak command

We taught my dog to speak by simply saying speak over and over again whenever she barked. When she barked we praised her and gave her treats while saying speak. It seemed to work very well.

8. That's what I thought I would try...but its always when we aren't expecting it or we don't have treats aroudn when she barks!

Ughhh! LOL!:P

Be warned on this one! My parents taught their dog "speak", he figured that if one bark was good, then many barks must be better. Now whenever he feels like a treat, he sits by the cupboard and barks incessantly until someone gives him a treat and there is no way to shut him up without giving him a treat!! For this reason I did not teach mine to speak!
    Steve

Thanks Lexi_Lover

"Man is the only animal that blushes. Or needs to." -- Mark Twain

"Don't count the days. Make the days count." -- Muhammad Ali

10. Good point! Maybe its best that Lexi doesn't know the most tricks, LOL!

lol, Schteve is right!! We had a foster chi who was very smart and we taught her tons of trick, including speak. Then she developed the behavior of speaking (it was a really loud high-pitched howl), and would do it whenever she saw food or when she wanted to play. It took way longer to correct the behavior than it was to teach

Gonzo will not speak, unless I'm on another side of a fence or door than he is, and I tell him to bark. He has always known that barking without reason is bad, and he just does not bark.. its actually a good thing, but teaching them "speak" is fun anyway

Lexi's mom, I heard that standing where your dog cannot reach you helps to teach them to speak.. like, stand on one side of a small fence or babygate, and jump around and taunt her until she barks ^^

<3 Erica, Fozz n' Gonz