Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: A comment on "What would you do if your child told you they were gay?"

A comment on "What would you do if your child told you they were gay?"

I would just like to say to Chrangharris (and this applies to others too) that I think it is a pretty poor show starting threads that you know can get controversial, and then just deleting them because you don't like what some people think. Can't you tolerate other people having different opinions than your own? Why do you post in the first place?

It shows an incredible lack of respect for other people and their opinions. Or is it because you just can't handle the real world? It just seems from here like a very narrow minded approach to life.

I spent quite a bit of time this afternoon writing what I hoped would be a sensible reply to your post, and it just disappears. I have better things to do with my time.

For those who didn't see it, here is my reply to "What would you do if your child told you they were gay?":

I was walking down the street with my son, who was about 11 at the time, when he popped that question to me right out of the blue. "What would you think if I was homosexual?"

My first reaction was to laugh. Children do ask the most interesting questions sometimes don't they! The ones that make you REALLY have to think, and not just respond with a standard cliché.

Of course, I have a problem here, as I seem to be afflicted with a peculiar kind of blindness. I just cannot for the life of me see what difference people's sexual preferences makes. I can't see that it makes any difference whether someone is homosexual, heterosexual, Jew, Gentile, black, white, yellow, whatever, you name it. That is just not the way that I evaluate other people. I would prefer to differentiate according to their honesty, their willingness to help their fellows, their tolerance of other peoples customs, creeds, religions, sexuality etc. and their open mindedness and desire to understand things outside their normal experiences.

I also have a slight problem with the concept of it being sinful. I was brought up in a conservative, Christian home, though no expert on the bible. But surely if God created homosexuals they must be as acceptable as anyone else? (That is not an attack on religious beliefs by the way). According to the Bible we were all born with original sin weren't we? I find lying, cheating and corruption much more sinful than a sexual preference. There is also the question of the constant focus on the sexual relationships between homosexuals. Surely that, as in "straight" relationships, is only a small percentage of the relationship and a private matter for the individuals? Is genuinely loving someone of the same sex and living with them without sexual relationships acceptable then?

I don't believe for a minute that homosexuality is a choice, but whether it's genetic or not I don't know. That is the most logical conclusion. In cases where choice is perhaps involved, then I would imagine that it is based on an original latent tendency, probably exaggerated by pressure from hostile or intolerant prejudiced groups within the society.

At least homosexuals are in my limited experience normally tasteful people, seldom aggressive and arrogant, and that I can definitely respect. They can sometimes be pretty weird, but weirdness has never bothered me. I know a lot of very weird straight people too!

Of course, I told my son that that it would be quite alright with me if he turned out to be homosexual, it's his life and he must live it as he sees fit. Also that I would of course support him in any way possible if it gave him any problems, and that it would make no difference whatsoever to our relationship. I would still love him unconditionally.

I don't want to be insulting or mean, but then of course that just depends on our own personal definitions of what is insulting or mean. These are often culturally or nationally inspired. These are just my own personal opinions and views

This quote from "The Prophet" by Kahlil Gibran sums it all up for me:

And a woman who held a babe against her bosom said, Speak to us of children.
    And he said:
    Your children are not your children.
    They are the sons and daughters of Life's longing for itself.
    They come through you but not from you.
    And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.

You may give them your love but not your thoughts.
    For they have their own thoughts.
    You may house their bodies but not their souls.
    For their souls dwell in the house of to-morrow, which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
    You may strive to be like them, but seek not to make them like you.
    For life goes not backward nor tarries with yesterday.
    Last edited by jonza; 01-16-2005 at 03:07 PM.

"Peace cannot be achieved through violence,
    it can only be attained through understanding."
    Albert Einstein

I agree and I have PM'd asking Karen to un-delete the thread as when posters delete threads they are only soft not hard deleted.

I don't allow posters to delete an entire thread on my forum to prevent this kind of childish behaviour.

I thought your reply was very eloquent and in no way, insulting. That's basically what I said in my last reply right before it got deleted.
    Instead of forcing those values on children, parents should be witnessing by not showing disgust and showing tolerance and compassion. Whomever feels it's such a horrible sin(everyone's definition of a horrible sin is different and yes, some justified, like murder) should be trying to understand why they feel that way and go from there. I just don't understand all this hostility. You'd think some of you would rather have a child that was a criminal than for them to like someone of the same sex. Meant to add that it's interesting that people start threads like this and then get upset when they don't get the answers they wanted to hear.

9/3/13
    I did the right thing by setting you free
    But the pain is very deep.
    If only I could turn back time, forever, you I'd keep.
    I miss you

I hear you whimper in your sleep
    I gently pet you and say, no bad dreams
    It will be alright, to my dog as dark as night.

Fur as dark as the night.
    Join me on this flight.
    Paws of love that follow me.
    In my heart you'll forever be.
    [/SIZE]

How I wish I could hold you near.
    Turn back time to make it so.
    Hug you close and never let go.
    11/12/06

In my opinion it should only be possible to delete ones own posts, not an entire thread - even if you do feel you have screwed up! Show a bit of respect for other people!

If any of you want it, I can send you the entire thread, just PM me your e-mail address.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

I agree... I feel that this is the DOGHOUSE, and if you start a discussion, be prepared for a few sparks to fly. Espcially on something as controversial as homosexuality. The discussion in question was civil, nobody was being excessively rude, as is the case in many threads here in the doghouse. There have been many threads that spun out of control and civility went out the window... and those threads were not deleted. Yet the thread that was interesting and enlightening was deleted.

Jonza, I thought your response was well thought out and well said.

Re: A comment on "What would you do if your child told you they were gay?"

Originally posted by jonza
    I would just like to say to Chrangharris (and this applies to others too) that I think it is a pretty poor show starting threads that you know can get controversial, and then just deleting them because you don't like what some people think. Can't you tolerate other people having different opinions than your own? Why do you post in the first place?

It shows an incredible lack of respect for other people and their opinions. Or is it because you just can't handle the real world? It just seems from here like a very narrow minded approach to life.[/i]
    I agree 100%.

I started one thread a while back and started out saying that if it got nasty (not a good, civil, & informative debate) that I would delete it. I was asking some religious questions and the last thing I wanted was a sermon, or someone telling me I would burn in hell for my beliefs. Fortunately, that thread stayed very enlightening, (with a lot of different viewpoints, many different from my own) and I really discovered a lot about myself.

I guess I'm a little more flexible and tolerant than some people are, but to each his own. That's what makes the world go 'round.

Originally posted by catnapper
    IThere have been many threads that spun out of control and civility went out the window... and those threads were not deleted. Yet the thread that was interesting and enlightening was deleted.
    I *think* Karen might be able to bring the thread back but we'll have to wait and see.

But in the meantime here is most of the thread though a couple of posts from Catoholic & Carole & me are missing...where it says missing threads. If anyone has them email me at [email protected] (I hate incomplete files)

Hopeful the real thread will be back soon but if not this is second best.

http://www.piftails.com/gay.html

How's you do that? That's cool!

9/3/13
    I did the right thing by setting you free
    But the pain is very deep.
    If only I could turn back time, forever, you I'd keep.
    I miss you

I hear you whimper in your sleep
    I gently pet you and say, no bad dreams
    It will be alright, to my dog as dark as night.

Fur as dark as the night.
    Join me on this flight.
    Paws of love that follow me.
    In my heart you'll forever be.
    [/SIZE]

How I wish I could hold you near.
    Turn back time to make it so.
    Hug you close and never let go.
    11/12/06

I'm very disappointed she deleted it. It took a lot for some of us to state their views. For others they opened up a little part of their own world, for it to be tossed away so lightly, is a shame.

We all took the time to answer her thread with great thought and in my case with great pride in a child I raised. I felt that we all handled ourself very well, with our different views, trying not to cross that line to much, for it to be tossed in the garbage, is upsetting.

It shows an incredible lack of respect for other people and their opinions.
    Agree 100%

I like what you said, Jonza. I couldn't agree more.

Thank you Wolfie!

Originally posted by dukedogsmom
    How's you do that? That's cool!
    I saved some of the posts and I got some help on the rest and copy and pasted it (minus signatures as they take up too more space) to a web page and uploaded to my own server

Shame there still is gaps.

I agree that deleting threads is disrespectful to other posters, hopefull this can be prevented in the future.

Originally posted by PayItForward
    I agree that deleting threads is disrespectful to other posters, hopefull this can be prevented in the future.
    I missed what happened, so I can't really judge. But I have been ticked off before by people who made a thread and then deleted it because they didn't like the responses. It is very close minded. It's like they made the thread only to gain agreement.

Thank you Wolfie!

Originally posted by Tonya
    I missed what happened, so I can't really judge. But I have been ticked off before by people who made a thread and then deleted it because they didn't like the responses. It is very close minded. It's like they made the thread only to gain agreement.
    Read this page http://www.piftails.com/gay.html

This quote from "The Prophet" by Kahlil Gibran sums it all up for me:
    Wow, that's a great quote. I love that.

And since I missed the original thread, apparently, I'll answer the question, "What would you do if your child told you they were gay?" I would thank him for trusting and respecting me enough to be honest and open with me, and tell him that I'm always here for him if he needs to talk. The same thing I would do with any serious topic he brought up with me.
    "We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare and the love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made" - M. Facklam

"We are raised to honor all the wrong explorers and discoverers - thieves planting flags, murderers carrying crosses. Let us at last praise the colonizers of dreams."- P.S. Beagle

"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king." - J.R.R. Tolkien

I think all the discussion was in the original thread was made in a very civilized way. John I am especially glad you saved your original post as I loved its content as well as its style.